home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT: 1970 Caddy purchase
Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: February 02, 2018 06:24AM

My nephew who is not a car guy is interested in purchasing a 1970 Caddy. Its half the country away from him and at least his father and I have convinced him to have it inspected and shipped. Any particular things that should be looked at?
Also does anyone know of a good internet discussion list on these cars?

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: 1970 Caddy purchase
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 02, 2018 02:32PM

Pick the person that is going to be doing the inspection very carefully. A friend had a 1965 Cadillac inspected, and the report came back glowing. This car had more oil leaks than the Exon Valdez! The engine was shot, same for the transmission, brakes, and the list goes on. He got the inspectors name from Hemmings, and all that I can think of, was that he was friends with the seller, or was grossly negligent.

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: February 02, 2018 03:22PM

A Corvair forum is not the place to be discussing Cadillacs, unless of course the Corvair guy reading this column happens to be a fan of Cadillacs, which is what I am. So you're in luck.

My father used to drive brand new Cadillacs for over 25 years, from 1967 until his last one in 1990. He passed away in 1995. And they have their good days and their bad days. 1970 is a good day Cadillac. In fact I just bought a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado, special edition, the last 2,000 of the full-size Eldorado's built, I actually bought it for a friend, I'll be doing some repairs to it and shipping it to Israel. I read the second post from junkman very quickly, bcuz I'm changing the water pump on my girlfriend's Mercedes.I ownseveral full-size GM cars from the 60s, including my latest acquisition, a 1968 Olds 98 with 50,000 original miles, 455 hi compression Rocket, single exhasut.
I bought it in Cleveland in September, I drove it to the Corvair Recall in Detroit, loading it up full to the brim with junk Corvair parts, and then I drove it to Toronto, put in some original T3 headlights and repaired the miserable exhaust leak from the just repaired exhaust system, discovered that my rear brake line was copper and was repaired using compression fittings, and that the car wasn't nearly as nice as advertised. But anyways that's what happens when you buy from a dealer.
So anyways when we got back to New York, we registered about 18 or 19 miles per gallon, but I was also going 50-55 Max because the 14 inch tires, yes 14 inch tires on an Olds 98, only the optional disc brakes had 15 inch wheels, and the tires were 17 years old, but they had absolutely no age cracks whatsoever, but I wasn't taking any chances.
So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I also have a 65 Buick with a 401 nailhead, and a 65 Grand Prix with a 390 4 Barrel, GTO motor, and they both get 50 and 16 miles per gallon with the AC on going 60 65 70. So getting back to the Cadillac, if the vehicle has rust, forget about it, and a lot of people won't take pictures underneath, or if they do they're lousy pictures. If you send somebody over there and you trust them, it isn't necessarily going to be someone that knows what they're doing, even though everybody talks to talk, I've been there done that. I've even had people put cars on the hoist and take blurry pictures, or they take a picture and the sun washes the picture out so you see the background beautifully, but the underside of the car is barely visible. Is there a link that I can look at? And give you my opinion? And is it a dealer selling it or private party? Dealers just want to move units, and private parties are much more likely to be honest with you and tell you the real deal. But keep in mind that when people selling used car, they're selling it to get rid of it, not necessarily to give it a new loving home.
If there are typos above, please excuse me, I'm using a small phone with talk to text.
And I've got a water pump to change on my girlfriend's Mercedes, and I just changed the idler last week, and luckily she believes me when I tell her that something else right beside it failed, the exact same way, just a coincidence

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 03:28PM by UGLYTRUK.

Attachments:

Date: February 02, 2018 06:39PM

Typo Corrections, 15 to 16 mile per gallon, GTO motor is a 389-335 4Bob w duals in my Grand Prix, I'm not sure why it autocorrected to a 390, maybe it think it's a Ford???

Attachments:

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: February 02, 2018 07:18PM

You must have a "Blue Oval" computer to auto-correct to a 390!

65 Crown Coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4L85e Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 TH400
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: February 03, 2018 05:28AM

I se that you are in NJ, where is the Cadillac? Might be near someone here.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: February 03, 2018 07:45AM

David???

Date: February 03, 2018 08:13AM

Boy, I wish I could buy this Rambler Scrambler... Look at the undercarriage pix, as I mentioned, blurrry, washed out etc...

[www.hemmings.com]

Date: February 03, 2018 08:17AM

Seen worse...

Attachments:

Date: February 03, 2018 08:18AM

More...

Attachments:
Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: February 03, 2018 08:32AM

Nephew is near DC, car is in Chicago at a consignment seller. Looks OK in pictures but several "inaccuracies" in the description. Nothing new in that.
1970 Caddy

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Date: February 03, 2018 09:07AM

I looked over the car, someone killed it but spraying the undercarriage has lots of black paint-undercoating, but you can still see a bit of the surface rust where they missed hitting it. Cadillacs of this era are bulletproof, this one would look alot better with correct hubcaps IMO, and the lakepipes are buyers discretion. The paint is so-so, note the scratch-sanding marks below the windshield, prolly alot more of the sloppyness on more trim-glass, really hard to change mangled chrome-stainless.

Attachments:

Date: February 03, 2018 09:18AM

I looked over the car, someone killed it buy spraying the undercarriage with lots of black paint-undercoating, but you can still see a bit of the surface rust where they missed hitting it. Doesn't look very rusty for Chicago. Maybe a lo owner survivor?
Cadillacs of this era are bulletproof, this one would look alot better with correct hubcaps IMO, and the lakepipes are buyers discretion.
The paint is so-so, note the scratch-sanding marks below the windshield, prolly alot more of the sloppyness on more trim-glass, really hard to change mangled chrome-stainless. It also hurts that these fancy dealers make a few thou profit, and may or may not do required repairs. I guess it depends what a buyer is looking for. My father's friend bot a '66 Parisienne convert new, and I pulled it out of storage in 1992ish to get it ready for summer cruising. I told the owner the frame was totally rotted and "I can repair anything UGLYTRUK" advised him to park it, but he scoffed and drove it a few more summers until he passed away. A testament to the integrity of these beasts. I had had the frame changed on my '67 Parisienne 2+2 it was rotted so bad! His car had 70 odd thou miles, 283pg, mine had 37k in 1978... Don't miss the rust now that I shop out west...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 09:21AM by UGLYTRUK.

Posted by: Skizz ()
Date: February 05, 2018 03:16PM

Nice car!
I bought a 70 Sedan de Ville a few years ago with 11,000 original miles..

64 Monza Vert
64 Spyder Vert
2002 Chev 1500
1996 Impalla SS
Eastern NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.