Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Fuel Pump Question
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: February 01, 2018 02:16PM

I am ditching the factory mechanical fuel pump in favor of an electric one. Is there any reason for the pushrod and spring to be left in place under the delete plug? I would assume that they can be removed along with the mechanical pump, but I would rather ask before assuming.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuel Pump Question
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: February 01, 2018 02:19PM

Should be removed. No point in it flopping up and down doing nothing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuel Pump Question
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: February 01, 2018 02:23PM

Thank you, Ted!

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuel Pump Question
Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: February 01, 2018 05:15PM

Ted is correct, removed, however I would add retained to his statement, in case you or a future owner wants/needs to go back to mechanical pump.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuel Pump Question
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 01, 2018 05:28PM

I prefer to remove the spring and push rod and then install a "dummy" fuel pump (empty center section). This way I can still use the stock fuel lines for safety reasons and also maintain the stock appearance. YMMV.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuel Pump Question
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 03, 2018 04:37AM

I prefer to plug the hole and reverse the lines to meet at the front of the engine away from the fan belt. It's a little more trouble since you have to fabricate an inlet line. I'm not saying it's better, just different.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuel Pump Question
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: February 03, 2018 05:00AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I prefer to plug the hole and reverse the lines to
> meet at the front of the engine away from the fan
> belt. It's a little more trouble since you have to
> fabricate an inlet line. I'm not saying it's
> better, just different.
> Jim Brandberg
> Isanti, MN
> CorvairRepair.com


I actually did reverse the lines. Making a new inlet line wasn't that big of a deal, I just failed to bend the tube without kinking it the first two attempts! I like the less-cluttered look of the engine with the fuel lines at the front and, like you say, they are away from the fan belt.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.