home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Tubeless Tires & Wire Wheels Question
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 29, 2018 01:59PM

I was thinking of sealing the wire wheel spoke nipples using black windshield urethane. This is what I was told that Dayton Wheel used to seal the wire wheel rims on some of their restoration work. Has anyone here given it a try, or do you have a wire wheel that was restored by Dayton and then sealed by them?
thanks
Junk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tubeless Tires & Wire Wheels Question
Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: January 29, 2018 02:01PM

I have been told by many sources including Dayton to run liners and tubes inside the tubeless tires.

Date: January 29, 2018 03:49PM

Here's a solution from a motorcycle rider

vulcangadgets.com/files/tww.html

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: January 29, 2018 05:25PM

I have been doing a lot of research on the use of silicon and the more that I read, it will tear if there is any stress on the spoke nipples. Long term, many have said that it will not hold up. I am investigating another product, and I hope to have more research information about it in a week or so. Thanks Junk

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: January 30, 2018 02:35AM

I have 5 of the wires that Clarks sells and all 5 leaked. I cleaned all the original sealer out and painted the inner rims and around the spoke areas with POR 15 paint then used bead sealer and that is working.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 30, 2018 08:44AM

I recommend checking with Harley Davidson and some of their custom shops. Many of the Harley riders are having their spoke wheels sealed so they can run tubeless tires. This is not only to give them bigger variety of tires to use, but also a safety factor. Tubeless tires and wheels leak flat slower with a puncture than a tube tire.

Some home sealing like rubber sealant's and RTV silicone have a reputation of failing.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: January 30, 2018 10:42AM

I had my KH wire wheels restored by Dayton at great expense. They swore up and down that they were sealed during the restoration process and could be run tubeless. My tire guy installed 5 tires on the 5 wheels without tubes and three of them leaked to flat within 2 hours. We did not wait to see what the other 2 did.

So I run tubes in them.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: January 30, 2018 11:22AM

I stupidly bought a set of well used Daytons one day. They had been sealed with black silicone. One wheel had loose spokes and the silicone was cracked around the spokes. The set of KH's I have on my wagon still run tubes and the other set I have for my spyder I have tubes waiting for as well once I mount them.

Posted by: BILLG ()
Date: January 30, 2018 03:05PM

YOUR BEST BET IS TO USE TUBES AND FLAPS. THE FLAPS JUST LIKE ON A BICYCLE TIRE PROTECT THE TUBE FROM CHAFFING AGAINST THE SPOKE ENDS AND THE TUBE GUARANTEES TO HOLD AIR.

Date: January 30, 2018 09:18PM

Spoke to Dayton today, and they said that the rims have to have the safety beads on them, otherwise, it isn't safe to run them as tubeless. I checked the original rims that I have, and they were not originally manufactured with the safety beads. This effectively has ruled out sealing the rims to go tubeless. I might just seal the nipples on the inside of the rim, to keep water out of the rim. One of the things that caused my last tube to fail was the rust buildup between the rim and the tube, even though it had duct tape on the rim. I have been looking for the original rim flaps for years, and I have never been able to find them. I am considering the 10 mil plumbers wrap for the next set of tires that are going onto the '62 Monza. I just need to find some quality tubes, preferably not made in China or some other 3rd world country, where quality isn't as important as producing a low cost product.

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: January 31, 2018 01:48PM

Junk, you are probably already aware, but you need to make sure you get RADIAL tubes to go with radial tires.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 31, 2018 01:57PM

get some used semi truck tire tubes and cut them up to make your own bands. That rubber is usually USA made and 2 to three times thicker than car tubes.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: January 31, 2018 02:14PM

There is an older thread here where someone found rubber bands that fit on KH wheels from Moss Motors, made for British cars w/ 13" wire wheels.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: January 31, 2018 06:52PM

The Corvair wire wheels are Bead Lace wheels and the outer tire bead has to slide over the spoke area. A rubber band will not stay in place during the mounting of the tire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.