Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1966 Corsa drivetrain...gone!
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: January 26, 2018 05:03PM

By a somewhat odd set of circumstances, I have come across a complete drivetrain for a 1966 Corsa. Engine, differential and transmission still attached. All original and never separated.
My major problem is I'm in Oregon, and the unit is in South Carolina. That makes things interesting.
I am awaiting photos of the assembly from the current owner. Probably will have them to share by the end of the week.
First Question: Is this of any interest to anyone?
It would either have to be picked up or shipped. The owner says he is willing to crate it and take it to the shipper.
Just for the moment, much about it is unknown. He tells me that it's all original and intact. All four carburetors are on it, along with the linkage. How much else is problematic.
I just simply don't know right at the moment.
Second Question: Is anyone interested in a trade for some other bits in exchange?
I need either a NOS or a perfect front trim piece for a 1966 or later Corvair. Duane tells me it must be show perfect and not just Very Good (Have one I'm looking at, but must wait till Monday to discuss it more with Duane.)
I could also use a set of four NOS 13" wire wheel covers. They need not have the 3--bar spinner. Those I've got. The wheel covers I have now are Very Good, but not up to Duane's standards.
I don't need a whole lot else that I can think of just at the moment.
I'm quite happy to act as a go-between for anyone who needs this power unit. I have a friend in Waterboro SC who will be intermediate an exchange, should one be possible.
No point in even trying to put a price on it, until I know more and can have a closer look at the photos. It may be pretty far gone - it may not, but even at that still has some value. No question it will require a rebuild.
I thought briefly about getting it myself, but I don't see the efficacy of shipping something like that clear across the country.
Just giving folks advance notice. If you are interested in working something out, send me a PM giving an email address so I can send photos when they are available.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 02:59PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1966 Corsa drivetrain
Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: January 26, 2018 05:15PM

I'm not needing one but I'm sure there's someone in SC that would want it. Just curious where is it in SC, wonder if we know the owner. Is your Walterboro friend a Corvair guy?

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: January 26, 2018 05:30PM

I would love a set of 140 heads but man that's a good lick for me to Waterboro.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Date: January 26, 2018 07:39PM

My friend is anything but a Corvair guy, or even a car guy. But he is a good friend and is willing to help.

Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: January 26, 2018 07:42PM

It's not going to be parted out. It comes as a unit. And it is where it is. From Oregon, I can't change much of that.
I'll know more come early next week.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 27, 2018 02:39AM

My friend Rick probably would be interested in the package if it is reasonable. We are only 60 miles from Walterboro. PM me any details. I don't have any NOS trim to help you out. I just have trim off LMs I dismantled. Most have light scratches.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 27, 2018 09:40AM

The only thing that makes it a Corsa is the RB coded block and the head temp thermistor. Everything else is the same as any other 66 140 and 4 speed transmission. An RB coded block is not rare by any means. If it was an RR code that would be a different story.

Lee J

Date: January 28, 2018 11:14AM

It is probably worse than I had feared. Talking with the guy -- he's in his 80's and "getting ready to meet the Lord," he described it as something different than what the photos show. That can happen.
It is Not still connected to the differential and drivetrain.
Looks pretty rough! I have no idea how much of it will be salvabeable or not. Can't tell from the photos he sent.
I'd be pleased to forward the photos he sent to me to anyone in the area. Will need an actual email address, so drop me a PM and I'll get to it sometime this week.
I can say I'm not interested in paying to have it shipped clear across country. Rex Johnson has already built me a beautiful drivetrain, so I don't really need this.
He says it came out of his b-i-l's Corsa. I don't think he's lying or misremembering.
If you decide to get in touch with him after we discuss this further, please cut him some slack. He's quite a nice fellow, and means really well. Not seeking to make a killing out of it at all.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 28, 2018 11:17AM

Sent PM

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: February 01, 2018 02:48PM

Intermediated an exchange, and it will be picked up for parts salvage. Everything worked out just fine.
No longer available.

[corvaircenter.com]

Re: 1966 Corsa drivetrain...gone!
Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: February 01, 2018 04:40PM

Well shoot I could of used a spare drivetrain.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.