home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Astro (other?) bucket seat conversion
Posted by: gostridr ()
Date: January 26, 2018 04:57PM

My 65 500 has bench seats in the front that I would like to convert to bucket seats. I have heard about Astro bucket seats for later models that seem to be an excellent option. I've dug up a little information that indicates seat widths changed at some point but it is not clear if that was just the seats or the tracks too. What would it take to put 68 Astro seats in my 500? I understand there are some other good bucket options too. Thanks for your feedback on what you decided on and what you had to do to make them fit.

Peter
1965 500

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Astro (other?) bucket seat conversion
Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: January 26, 2018 05:00PM

65-66 are interchangeable. 67-69 are their own deal.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: January 27, 2018 05:35AM

I think most of the newer seats are more narrow than what was in the Vairs. I walked through the junkyard looking and found some black leather seats in a Mercedes, not sure what year or style car, bought then for $30 brought them home. they worked out decent enough, I think I could use the 2 bolt holes on one side and made small brackets to hold the other side, could have drilled new holes in the floor. mine came from a 4 door car so they don't tilt forward, ok with me as no one is ever getting in the back seat, it isn't even there now.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 27, 2018 05:44AM

500 models are missing the center attachment points at the rear of the seat.

Lee J

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: January 27, 2018 07:02AM

Dodge Neon seats take a little work but look good and feel great.

They also do not tilt forward, so that needs to be considered if you plan to ride rear seat passengers.

Click here for my Dodge Neon Seat Installation tutorial

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 27, 2018 08:33AM

There are many great seats out there that you can use.
Some may be direct drop in, while others may require changing or adding some brackets.
Just remember what has been said already.
If the seats you choose have come from a 4-door car, than they most likely will not tilt forward.
But if there is a 2-door version of that same car, just use those.
My '66 with a black interior, is sporting a set of black BMW 3-series seats.
It is amazing what a difference modern seats make in our old cars! thumbs up

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: January 27, 2018 08:56AM

My '66 with a black interior, is sporting a set of black BMW 3-series seats.
It is amazing what a difference modern seats make in our old cars!

I agree completely, put mine in mainly to help keep me behind the steering wheel during autocross but they are truly more comfortable to sit in. The way it worked out the drivers seat now has vertical adjustment, works great when my wife drives it, she doesn't have to use a pillow to sit higher.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 29, 2018 07:45PM

Peter - Really, don't bother with the 67-69 Corvair. Not a great seat. New cars have gotten so much better. Since yours is a 500, you will be fabbing up a new set of in-board mounts anyway! Here is a thought. Go to a local late-model used car lot (CarMAX in your area?) try a bunch of seats to find something you like, then hit the junkyards - oops, I mean automotive recycling centers and look for a similar pair in a color you can live with. Tip on mounting, the closer the four mounting point are to flat - all four close to the same plane - or the inner pair slightly shorter - that will make adaptation much easier.

Date: February 02, 2018 08:54AM

Great feedback All, thank you! Are you finding seats that are mechanical only or are you powering up the modern ones? Where/how are you fabricating the new seat mounts?

I am excited for the prospect of a modern seat!

Peter
Indio CA
1965 500
2015 Dodge Charger
1987 Porsche 944S
1991 Porsche 944 Cabriolet

Date: February 02, 2018 09:01AM

Mine are fully manual adjustment.
Two of the holes lined right up.
The other two did not, so a friend made a plate to bolt to the seat that was drilled to match the holes in the floor.
I could have easily just drilled new holes in the floor, but wanted to avoid doing that.
As Moomba has stated, the BMW seats also have a height adjustment for the vertically challenged!

I am sure that there are some on here who have gone the full-on luxury route with heated, power seats.

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: February 02, 2018 09:10AM

gostridr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great feedback All, thank you! Are you finding
> seats that are mechanical only or are you powering
> up the modern ones? Where/how are you fabricating
> the new seat mounts?
>
> I am excited for the prospect of a modern seat!

Gostridr, you can see a little of my fabrication, for the seats i am putting in a 65 sports sedan, restomod. I am using an early 90's Chrysler Sebring convertible seat. (built in seat belts)
Cheers...[www.corvairforum.com]

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: February 02, 2018 09:20AM

I used Dodge Neon SRT 4 seats. They mount the same as the neon seats, but came in black (actually really dark grey) vinyl with cloth inserts. I mounted them using angle iron across the stock floor mounts, then the front legs attach to that, and 3/16 steel flat bar to extend the rear floor mounts to fit the neon seats. Mounted like this, the front of the seat is a bit high. Not a problem for me, but my taller friends knees touch the wheel. The front legs can be bent flat and then mounted to the stock floor locations (at least on the 65, I know the floor mounts changed at some point). This will drop the seat 1.5-2" I believe.

The neon rear seat should fit as well. I plan on getting one but haven't found one locally yet.

The SRT4 was only available as a Sedan, so the seats don't tilt forward. The tilt mechanisms can be swapped for the units out of coupe seats, which I have ($10 at pull a part) but I have not done that yet since I don't really use the back seat.

The SRT4 had 2 seat options, the side airbag seats which I used that have the adjustable headrest, and then the racing style fixed headrest seats. Both mount the same.

EDIT: The passenger seat bottom looks weird in the second photo. It turned out to have been bent, so I pulled a bottom frame out of the same seats I got the tilt mechanisms from and swapped it. They do mount straight. And are MUCH more supportive and comfortable than the stock buckets I had.

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 09:22AM by Pacerace.

Attachments:

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: February 02, 2018 08:04PM

I have the factory floor bracket for the center rear bucket seat attaching points out of a '65 coupe. It measures center to center approx. 13 3/4". This distance would be between the seats. I measured a '68 coupe and it is the same distance. If this would help you to mount which ever seats you choose just send me a PM.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: February 02, 2018 09:31PM

I think you mean Strato Bucket seats.

For the other GM cars they also had a Strato Bench seat and a Strato Swivel seat.

The Strato Bench would turn some heads.

Date: February 02, 2018 09:48PM

Nope, those are different.
Corvairs do have "Astro-bucket" seats.

Date: February 03, 2018 12:00PM

Indeed, there are both. This is a picture of a really torn up Astro. I am told they came out in 68. Saw some really well done ones at California Corvairs. They looked amazing but can't find the pic anymore.

I really like the idea of the Neon as they are reasonably priced compared to all the euro options. I will update soon one the hunt and progress! Thanks again

Peter
Indio CA
1965 500
2015 Dodge Charger
1987 Porsche 944S

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 03, 2018 12:16PM

YES!! Modern seats are much better! I like my '67's stock buckets best of the factory seats... had a '69... seats were not good...imo

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 07, 2018 06:43PM

Yikes, after reading up on the Neon conversion as well as hearing that many of you have all different kinds of seats I may have too much confidence now. For the first time ever, I went to the pic a part today. Are there any seats that require too much fabrication? I found a pair of seats today from a 2012 Fiat 500 and they are stunning. They are mechanical and the tracks look normal. If I am following the threads correctly, I can modify my floor with new bracket/holes/hardware and attach the new seat while still on its track correct? Put another way, thanks for letting me know any style of seat that SHOULDN'T be attempted.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Peter
Indio CA
1965 500
2015 Dodge Charger
1987 Porsche 944S

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: February 07, 2018 06:59PM

This is what Dodge Neon seats (front and rear) look like after getting shaved, re-covered and installed in a '69 convertible:

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Date: February 07, 2018 07:59PM

Gostridr, I am not familiar with the mounting of the FIAT seat, but I would think that it should be doable.
If those are the seats I am thinking of, they should be quite nice to use. thumbs upthumbs up

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.