Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
TIG Everlast PowerTig 200DV
Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: January 26, 2018 10:24AM

I am looking into purchasing a TIG setup. I have an Eastwood MIG 175 that has never let me down in the 6-7 years or so I've had it I have been looking into the Everlast PowerTIG 200, there seem to be some very positive reviews.

[www.everlastgenerators.com]

I know a lot of folks who are the pro's will suggest the Red and Blue welders, but with my budget and "hobbyist" use I can't justify one. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

Thanks!

65 Crown Hardtop
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4L85e Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 TH400
2006 GTO 6 speed
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TIG Everlast PowerTig 200DV
Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: January 26, 2018 01:36PM

What exactly do you plan on doing with it? This will better help the "pros" give you specific advice. Maybe not with this particular machine, but with a decision.

In my travels, of body work, both professionally and building Corvairs, i have rarely had to use a TIG welder. I only offer this, because you are inquiring, on a DIY Corvair forum.

My $ .02

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Posted by: mwr ()
Date: January 26, 2018 01:47PM

Go to Weldingweb and you will find hundreds of threads on Everlast (and similar) welders in general, and probably lots of discussion about that specific model.

Posted by: Chi2 ()
Date: January 26, 2018 02:14PM

You should probably label this "OT", and the suggestion to go to the WedlingWeb forum is a good one. Since you brought it up:

I have an Everlast PowerTig 185 from 2012, and it has worked without issue since then. I was in the market for quite a while, and had a home hobbiest budget. I got sick of looking at used red/blue machines, and all the guys trying to sell them for really high prices, and just pulled the trigger on the Everlast. It was a good purchase for my use.

I use the tig mainly for light gauge sheet metal for motorcycle work (some aluminum too). Overall I really like it, but here are a couple things I do not like: it offers SMAW, but the electrode holder was cheap and 6010s do not work well. It does 7018 electrodes fine. I built a couple sliding gates using the 185/SMAW, and before I realized that the machine had this limitation, I cursed up a storm trying to hold a good arc on 6010s. The other complaint: they have different TIG torch DINSE sizes depending on year and machine, which makes buying aftermarket torches a little harder to figure out (this is not that big of a deal).

The TIG function is great and the customer service was good too. They are a volume seller, so I'm sure the Lincoln/Miller customer reps are more involved in having a professional relationships with customers, etc, but I always felt that Everlast stood by their products and answered my emails quickly.

Btw, most welding on my Corvairs has been MIG for body work, light fabrication of parts (exhaust, etc), and I have a little Lincoln wirefeed for that (garage sale purchase).

Jon
Enrolled in the Culver City Automotive School of Hard Knocks
============================================================
Member of South Coast Corsa
-1964 Greenbrier "The Dog Hauler" Rustoleum Charmer 110hp/4sp/.030 over/Pertronics I/Isky 270 Cam
-1962 Monza Club Coupe "Shaken, not stirred" Tuxedo Black with Red Interior 140hp/4sp/Pertronics I/Clark's 260 Cam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2018 02:14PM by Chi2.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: January 26, 2018 03:11PM

I have an Everlast PowerTig 200 for at least 5 years and have been quite please with it. I do a fair amount of welding and it has never let me down, for the price it was worth it IMHO.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 26, 2018 03:20PM

I cannotgas /stick / MIG weld!! But I could TIG where I worked... DC welder with High Frequency start... almost idiot proof... OMO

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 26, 2018 05:02PM

I have the Eastwood TIG 200, it's affordable and will weld anything on a Corvair other than the valve seat area on the heads.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.