Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Massive California Vehicle Registration Hike
Posted by: stitch ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:06PM

I live in Texas and, while we don't pay a state tax, they get me with the Property taxes. "School Tax" is almost 60% of the total! I haven't had a kid in school in almost 30 years!
On another note, I seem to work with a lot of California transplants that are ALWAYS lamenting how much they MISS California! To which I always reply....Go Back Then! cool smiley

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: red monza ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:18PM

You know, every time I go to a parking lot and someone comes in with a PRIUS or other electric car, I make it a point to "THANK THEM" when they get out of their car...why would I do that???? One reason...my 2.39 cent a gallon gas...yes...those people are the reason you are paying what you pay at the pump....it is called SUPPLY AND DEMAND !!! that controls cost...less demand...less cost...more demand...higher cost if all other remains the same.

So, your complaint of $34.00 for the year...that is less than $3.00 a month...WOW!! If your gas cost is down from years ago, you ALSO need to thank Prius drivers as your gas bill would be much higher without those people.

CRITICAL THINKING....THE OTHER DEFICIT IN AMERICA.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:31PM

In Ca they raised the price of Gas because of the Prius drivers, they were not selling as much gas so they hiked the price to make up for their losses, so they need to increase their gas tax, vehicle registration fee's to make up for the lost revenue from the gas miser cars, same as our water bills, Ca is in a drought! save Water! We did! Water companies: We need to raise the price of your water because we have lost revenue due to everyone saving water! We are no longer in a drought, did water bills go back down to pre-drought rates? HELL NO! That is a FACT JACK! Yes critical thinking is a deficit, depending on who's side your on and when actual facts come into play. Prius drivers are not saving a dam thing as it cost more to manufacture those Green beast than a regular car, they are more harmful to the environment than a regular car, and they still need coal, oil or nuclear power plants to charge them up! Solar and wind? Don't even go there!

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: WalterElias ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:35PM

Heck, it's only $3 a month extra, why not make it $6, or $9 or $12 then? Just a few more years and we're gonna be outta California like Clout already is.

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 110 HP, 4spd, 3.89 stump puller
1963 Spyder Coupe, restored, converted to 4spd Saginaw
1967 UltraVan #299, The migration has begun, we're on the road again......Save the Whales!

Photos of our Greenbrier, UltraVan and work-in-progress @

[www.flickr.com]

Date: January 26, 2018 07:56PM

Here are some more STATS....They are gasoline stats...all prices are in per/gallon.

2015 refinery cost 1.73 West coast cost at the pump 2.98
2018 refinery cost 1.79 west coast cost at the pump 3.03

So, refinery WHOLESALE COST went up 6 cents since 2015
West cost price per gallon went up 5 cents since 2015

Cheapest was in 2016 for everyone in the country.

What I am saying, if demand had risen X amount in 3 years...we would be paying a lot more for gas...it is simple economics 101...more demand, same supply, more cost per gallon.

As my ol Econ instructor used as a teaching tool...you have been lost in the woods for days, nothing to eat, you have a pocket full of money, you come across a camper that has one hamburger left and he will save it for later, how much do you offer for that hamburger...yep...your demand is high and the supply is low...lots of money you will give for that hamburger...same guy walks up to the camper but has just finished a huge steak...what is the demand for that hamburger now and what do you think the steak eater would offer for that hamburger...YEP...NADA, NOTHING..as demand has diminished but the supply has remained constant.

Prius drivers has made the supply and cost remain the same basically....in 2017 we used less barrels per day than in 2015. I am still going to thank Prius drivers regardless as the FACTS show me they ARE RESPONSIBLE for creating a less of a demand, thus not allowing prices to even be more...bigger demand, more processing plants, more building costs, more transportation costs, etc etc etc. and if you think they will spend their money to produce more gas and not raise their price...you are in LA LA LAND...you need a brain transplant...you have the same I Q as my gravel driveway.

In 2015, 9.4 million barrels a day were produced
In 2017, 9.2 million barrels a day were produced

Just another quick supply/demand story...I was at Habitat for Humanity the other day, they had LED light bulbs for 1.00 each...they sale for about $4,00 each anywhere else. I asked if they would have more...yes and then asked where did they come from...DUKE ENERGY, our electric supplier in NC. They give them to us so you will lower the DEMAND FOR ELECTRICITY...as producing more will cost everyone MORE !!! Reduce demand, so no new plant will need built...again, same or less DEMAND...no MAJOR INCREASE NEEDED to produce more.

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: January 26, 2018 08:05PM

red monza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know, every time I go to a parking lot and
> someone comes in with a PRIUS or other electric
> car, I make it a point to "THANK THEM" when they
> get out of their car...why would I do that???? One
> reason...my 2.39 cent a gallon gas...yes...those
> people are the reason you are paying what you pay
> at the pump....it is called SUPPLY AND DEMAND !!!
> that controls cost...less demand...less
> cost...more demand...higher cost if all other
> remains the same.
>
> So, your complaint of $34.00 for the year...that
> is less than $3.00 a month...WOW!! If your gas
> cost is down from years ago, you ALSO need to
> thank Prius drivers as your gas bill would be much
> higher without those people.
>
> CRITICAL THINKING....THE OTHER DEFICIT IN AMERICA.

You’re critical, your thinking might be a little off. Fracking and a drop in global demand have much more of an effect than Prius drivers.

The Corvair, Keeping Nader Notorious winking smiley

Will
Northern California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2018 08:06PM by Chilly Willy.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 26, 2018 08:06PM

Red.. all true... but we're not talking economics here...

It's Bureaucrats raising fees and taxes.. when most feel it's unnecessary!

And we're not discussing whether it is or not!!

Dan and Moto are up set!! LOL!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 04:34PM by MattNall.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: January 26, 2018 08:20PM

Just to fan the fire...if $38 breaks the bank you're living too close to the edge!

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting REALclose.

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: January 26, 2018 08:27PM

If I can stay away from the Bay Area and SoCal, I pretty much live in paradise here on the Central Coast. However, it's expensive! When I was in the film business I worked in just about every state and internationally from Mexico to Malta. No matter how nice other places were, I always wanted to return to CA. I have no plans to leave. My goal is to make my conservative voice heard and maybe help change it back to the CA before the fruit & nuts took over.
BTW, our state sales tax had a temporary hike of 0.25%. When it expired, it actually went back to 7.25%. I'm still shocked moonbeam let that happen spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 26, 2018 08:49PM

Murphy Wrote:
> Just to fan the fire...if $38 breaks the bank
> you're living too close to the edge!

No one is talking about breaking the bank.
It is about BIG government taking MORE than they need, just to continue living their fat cat lifestyles and buying votes with entitlement programs.

Oh, and if you really want to go off topic, not everyone living "too close to the edge" is there by choice.
Some people are living as financially conservative as they possibly can, and yet the ends just do not meet.
HOWEVER, .....
What is the estimate now-days?
About 80% of Americans are only one paycheck away from homelessness?
Some of that is just plain stupidity.
You know that your priorities are screwed-up when the $38 is killing you, yet......
You are paying for cable TV and cell-phones for every member of the family. DUMB!
You are buying Smokes and Beer every week. DUMB!
You are driving a car you bought Brand-new. DUMB!
You are eating out at least once a week. DUMB!

I could go on and on with the needless "wants" that people waste money on, while insisting that they just NEED to have those things.
Like I said, PRIORITIES.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Date: January 26, 2018 08:54PM

I think OKLAHOMA is the king of FRACKING...they used to have less than 10 earthquakes a year....In 2016, they had almost 300 earthquakes so FRACKING costs are high...anyone that thanks water will replace thick crude oil and the earth will remain the same is full of it.

As to supply...do not forget a lot of gasoline is EXPORTED...!!! If it all stayed here, gas would be like $1.00 per gallon or less.

I will go back to my original saying that Ca does not get back from Washington what they send in as to fed tax...in fact...part of Ca money goes to support NEW MEXICO for one...and I will say this again...the less dollars that Ca has come back to them...the more they have to raise fees, etc. Ca is the one state that is predicted to have a 6.1 billion surplus this July...KANSAS, on the other hand is about bankrupt....Ca has had some terrible weather lately and fires...you cannot depend on Washington to help anymore...see PUERTO RICO...1/2 of the country still has no power...that is pitiful...even Houston is still not back up and running that good.

I could really get mad at my present governor as my property tax went up 42% this year on my house...hundreds of dollars more per year...not $34.00. The reason why...the R's in Raleigh and former governor wanted our clean water to privatize it and sell it to use for fracking I was told by someone...the court case cost our city MILLIONS to defend and fight off the R's in Raleigh so we could keep some of the countries best water...so sometimes, the increase in government taxes etc needs to be looked at maybe "WITH SOME CRITICAL THINKING" as to why the increase.

For those that are not happy with California, like Norm Goldman said on his program when someone called in to complain of all the loss of freedom in America....he asked them...does GOV tell you who you have to work for, how about who you have to marry, how many children you can have, what state you must live in...THIS IS WHERE YOU HATERS OF CA COME IN....GET THE HELL OUT...YOU ARE FREE TO MOVE...MOVE TO KANSAS....you have 49 other states you can move to plus some territories....if I hated the state of NC, I would be moving to Ca probably...great weather, great car state, and many more positives in my opinion.

Yes, I understand Dave is P O'd with Ca....what I said above applies to him also...don't like...move!! It's a free country....for now. Dave is okay...just gets like me...a little to wound up at times...we all have to let it out at some point...

I still like everyone but miss Pedro.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 26, 2018 09:08PM

Pedro for President!

VOTE FOR PEDRO ! ! !
grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2018 09:10PM by American Mel.

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: January 26, 2018 09:35PM

stitch Wrote:
> I live in Texas and, while we don't pay a state
> tax, they get me with the Property taxes. "School
> Tax" is almost 60% of the total! I haven't had a
> kid in school in almost 30 years!
> On another note, I seem to work with a lot of
> California transplants that are ALWAYS lamenting
> how much they MISS California! To which I always
> reply....Go Back Then! cool smiley

stitch,

My better half now owns her mothers old house in Shirtz/Cibalo. I know what the property taxes are. And you are correct that "School Tax" is the majority of the property taxes. The house was purchased in 2003 for 90K and is worth about 160K today. 2016 property taxes = 3105

Anita also owns the last house her parents purchased in San Diego in 1989 for about 165k and is worth 500K today. 2016 property taxes = 3261

Both house are 4 bedrooms/suburban location and 14-1600 sq. ft.

The difference is in how California funds schools and Texas funds schools. California schools get most of their funding from Sacramento unlike Texas schools.

California courts have long ruled schools state wide need to have near equal resources per student and that funding schools on local property taxes does not do close to that.

BTW, if Anita sells the California house for 500K, the new owner would have to pay property taxes = $6250/year.

Posted by: WalterElias ()
Date: January 27, 2018 02:00AM

Boy did I stir up a hornets nest? Cabin Fever? I just thought that a 30% hike was a heck of a lot for one year, that's all. I don't expect any one to understand our situation and why we can't leave CA just yet. If we had a choice we would but we don't right now. We'll pay it like we always do along with all the rest of the things that have gone way up and just tighten our belts another notch.

Ya'll have a good morning,

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 110 HP, 4spd, 3.89 stump puller
1963 Spyder Coupe, restored, converted to 4spd Saginaw
1967 UltraVan #299, The migration has begun, we're on the road again......Save the Whales!

Photos of our Greenbrier, UltraVan and work-in-progress @

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: January 27, 2018 02:46AM

Have to pay for all your natural disasters somehow in Utopia.grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Man...Corvair owners ARE cheap. lol

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe (under Construction) Getting REALclose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 02:49AM by Murphy.

Posted by: vintageracer ()
Date: January 27, 2018 12:53PM

There are only 3 states left in the Union where by law the gas tax can only be spent on the road upkeep and expansion and NOT be used in the "General Fund".

The State of Tennessee is one of those states and as such we have very good roads by comparison to the rest of the states.

What a novel idea.

Actually spending collected tax revenue ONLY on the infrastructure for which it was originally collected!

Damn we are a bunch of smart "Hillbillies" here in Tennessee. Must be the good pot and moonshine we produce!

Mike

"Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1966 Corvair "Fo Do" 4 Speed Factory A/C

Posted by: vintageracer ()
Date: January 27, 2018 12:53PM

There are only 3 states left in the Union where by law the gas tax can only be spent on the road upkeep and road infrastructure for which it was originally collected and NOT be transferred for use in the "General Fund" for state expenses.

The State of Tennessee is one of those GREAT states and as such we have very good roads by comparison to the rest of the states.

What a novel idea.

Actually spending collected tax revenue ONLY on the infrastructure for which it was originally collected!

Damn we are a bunch of smart "Hillbillies" here in Tennessee. Must be the good pot and moonshine we produce that makes us so smart!

Mike

"Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1966 Corvair "Fo Do" 4 Speed Factory A/C

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 12:56PM by vintageracer.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 27, 2018 04:53PM

I let this run a few days to see if anyone would mention;

SAVINGS......

no matter what your financial condition....as prices rise.. especially faster than your income...

Less goes into plain Voluntary savings........ the $$ you get to spend as you want after retirement..making life enjoyable...

Everything else it too structured... think about it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 27, 2018 06:08PM

Matt - I need to add that lifetime habits don't end in retirement. If you are frugal in spending money during your working years. (Reference Mel's notesmiling smiley

"Some of that is just plain stupidity.
You know that your priorities are screwed-up when the $38 is killing you, yet......
You are paying for cable TV and cell-phones for every member of the family. DUMB!
You are buying Smokes and Beer every week. DUMB!
You are driving a car you bought Brand-new. DUMB!
You are eating out at least once a week. DUMB!"

If you end up in retirement with the habits of 40 years of frugality, you are much less likely to take up those habits in retirement. I have a friend who is several years older than I.(I am 70). His father is still alive, living in semi-assisted living, but can still get around. His father has more money today that when he retired, maybe 30 years ago. My friend is 10 years into retirement and is in the same boat - more money today than when he retired. I can justify excessive spending on car stuff - sometimes - because I have saved money on not spending on other things.

It is a matter of choice. What scares me is the apparent retirement plan of many people. First, win the lottery. Then . . . . . .

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 27, 2018 07:01PM

You keep voting for people that piss your tax money away and then tax you more and more and more and then pick illegals over Americans, DUMB!

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.