Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corsa dash question
Posted by: Corveight ()
Date: January 25, 2018 06:08PM

I've got a '65 Corsa dash I'm restoring. It's been stripped of it's wrinkle paint revealing a few dents in the aluminum. I'd like to separate the black plastic piece that mounts the gauges from the aluminum dash. Before I start unbending the tabs at the bottom, is there factory adhesive holding the two pieces together?

Warren Holt
Cleveland, Ohio
65 Crown V8
65 Turbo Coupe
68 Monza

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corsa dash question
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 25, 2018 06:28PM

There was on mine. But it separated easily because the adhesive was all dried out. I used white silicone to put mine back together after I cleaned it thoroughly. I placed some 2 and 3 lb weights on it with a homemade curvature jig to hold it from flattening out. several Thin to thick to thicker sandbags work pretty good. You could make 3 curvature boards to do the same thing, but I think the more contact area you make under the panel the less chance of setting up a unwanted new curvature.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 25, 2018 08:45PM

There is some factory glue but I have never had one that was still holding and I have taken a few apart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:26AM

Just be careful. Plastic (especially 50+ year old plastic) breaks easily and aluminum can kink and split.

I've seen dashes refinished without having to be separated.

-Mark

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:45AM

I have a couple I am restoring, or repairing. They separate easily. The dents are another story. Aluminum is really hard to get right. I have not done it yet so I hope others will answer that question.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 26, 2018 08:30AM

As others said, the old glue has lost it's grip, or it is easy to break the bond.

That glue was not intended to bond things, just prevent rattles and squeaks. I also use a few dabs of silicone glue when I reassemble

The bend over tabs hold things together and BE CAREFUL bending them as they can break off.

If you re-paint with wrinkle paint then the dents just need to be minimized as they will NOT show up with new wrinkle paint over them.

Note that I've never had the aluminum covers match up exactly with the plastic. Not sure if it was manufacturing tolerances, or plastic warping with age.

BEFORE you apply glue fit and mark for the best alignment of the bezel opening with the instrument pods. With silicone glue you have some time to work the fit before bending over the tabs.

Posted by: Corveight ()
Date: January 27, 2018 05:10PM

Thank you, guys for all of your inputs. I did get the two pieces separated with no issues. I'm pretty sure someone had done this long ago and screwed up the aluminum by prying it off of the plastic. It left a couple of convex bumps which is why I needed to separate the pieces. I tried to show one of the bumps in the photo.

Warren Holt
Cleveland, Ohio
65 Crown V8
65 Turbo Coupe
68 Monza

Attachments:

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 28, 2018 10:38AM

Tap is lightly with a hammer/dolly. Be careful, the metal is soft and wants to gather more dents.

You know the process for the paint, right? Preheat the metal in your oven. Then paint it with the wrinkle paint, then heat again. A sunny day will work but not as consistently as an oven.

Others will add their experience with the paint.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 28, 2018 11:05AM

Using VHT wrinkle paint DO NOT PRE-HEAT THE BEZEL.

In fact while putting on the first three coats don't do it in the sunlight. I had one that started to wrinkle early just from the heat generated in sunlight! I had to strip and re-do it.

After the proper application of the first three coats, THEN heat the bezel - oven or heat lamps work.

The thicker each coat of paint the coarser the wrinkle will be. If in doubt do a test run on a piece of metal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.