Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tri porting
Posted by: rrp0403 ()
Date: January 25, 2018 03:20AM

Hello all,

Would tri-ported heads with a centermount carb be a good mod for a stock 140 engine? Are other performance upgrades needed to "balance" the performance?

Does anyone have any step by step pictures/instructions for a do-it-yourself application?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tri porting
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 25, 2018 04:11AM

This is not a bolt on mod! Just about everything is custom made and should be in conjunction with an engine build with other head work.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 25, 2018 08:28AM

I know this is 1 way to get lots of HP out of a Corvair engine. Plan on doing something with the transmission, diff., braking, suspension, etc.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 25, 2018 08:45AM

"A good mod" - depends on what you want.

It would make for a good rack/track engine. Probably not something you'd want to go cruising around town with.

The best of both worlds (good drive ability and power) comes from a modern turbo charging setup.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 27, 2018 06:52AM

A 4-leg aftermarket manifold sporting a 4-barrel carburetor is a lot easier to do than a 6-tube which is special fabrication, machine work and aluminum welding.
It's a pretty broad topic to what seems like easy questions but folks here would probably be glad to continue the conversation.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: January 27, 2018 08:26AM

You need to help us help you. If this is going on your sand rail you need to state that. Do you already have the heads?

The Corvair, Keeping Nader Notorious winking smiley

Will
Northern California

Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: January 27, 2018 09:28AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A 4-leg aftermarket manifold sporting a 4-barrel
> carburetor is a lot easier to do than a 6-tube
> which is special fabrication, machine work and
> aluminum welding.
> It's a pretty broad topic to what seems like
> easy questions but folks here would probably be
> glad to continue the conversation.
> Jim Brandberg
> Isanti, MN
> CorvairRepair.com
Yes a 4-leg manifold is a easy bolt on, but there are no ram air effect gains. I would like to hear from some who have the 6 into 1 intakes. How much more power is noticeable with this set-up? I would guess quite a bit. That said I have this set-up, however my car is not on the road yet so I can't say.

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 27, 2018 09:54AM

As Will said, we need more information from you to give you good information. What vehicle is this going in? What performance do you hope to achieve? What is your budget?

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: REM654DPG ()
Date: January 27, 2018 10:13AM

Here’s another tri-port set up that makes real horse power and gets rid of the carburetor issues but like everyone here says it’s not a simple bolt on mod and will require further upgrades to your drive train. All it takes is lots and lots of money, time and patience but it’s very drivable and works quite well.

And good morning Bob from Sandy.

Regan Metcalf
Portland Oregon

Attachments:

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: January 27, 2018 10:44AM

REM654DPG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here’s another tri-port set up that makes real
> horse power and gets rid of the carburetor issues
> but like everyone here says it’s not a simple
> bolt on mod and will require further upgrades to
> your drive train. All it takes is lots and lots of
> money, time and patience but it’s very drivable
> and works quite well.
>
> And good morning Bob from Sandy.
>
> Regan Metcalf
> Portland Oregon

WOW!

The Corvair, Keeping Nader Notorious winking smiley

Will
Northern California

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 27, 2018 11:25AM

Most of the center-mount one-into six set-up are for road racing, Dave Clemens has built some and Michael Leveque has built a bunch. Why them? Because it take welding/machining and technical set-up, to make them work. Some of the one-into-sixes have relocated injectors down by the head and used a throttle body (with no injectors) in the middle. This is the best technical solution. (Possible exception, six throttle bodies at the head) A single bolt-on 4-barrel would likely be better on a one into six than it would be on a IECO style 4-runner, but would still have the problems of fuel dropping out of suspension in the legs. I am considering a one-into-six set-up with a center mount throttle body aftermarket system. Perhaps the better fuel atomization of the throttle body injectors will reduce the drop-out tendency.

Posted by: jmaechtlen ()
Date: January 28, 2018 08:47AM

In the setup that Regan's pics show, what RPM are the inlet tubes tuned for? What is the power band for that motor?

It doesn't look much different, length-wise, from the ram length of a lot of modern factory EFI motors.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 28, 2018 09:16AM

Dwane's system... and he's sold a few over the year... WORKS..

He recently reported 13k trouble free miles...

We know he drove it cross country to the Convention last summer..

I remember a few here reporting that they drove it and were impressed...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: January 28, 2018 11:01AM

There are also some dyno runs using that system, and one of the older Clark's catalog's shows one of those... I remember seeing it, but don't remember what the numbers were. What I do remember is that the results were really impressive, especially for "only" changing the induction system.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: injectedvair ()
Date: January 28, 2018 03:12PM

Gentlemen:
To answer the questions of what rpm and power band are the following:
power off idle is significantly better than 140 or 110 but then really kicks in at about 3000rpm. This is something you can feel more like a turbo and accelerated to 6000rpm. This engine, depicted in Regans picture, made 150ft/lbs of torque at 1900rpm and 210 ft/lbs at 5500rpm. The torque curve is mostly flat with slight rise. I have since made changes that include coil near plug, sequential injection and ignition, not waste spark, drive by wire throttle body, 60mm. My present engine was posted on Facebook COG along with Scott Anderson's car. We just got it running and have not been able to tune it due to no brakes and rain, I will post my past dyno results soon.

Date: January 28, 2018 03:24PM

Thanks Dwane!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: REM654DPG ()
Date: January 28, 2018 07:56PM

What injectedvair says is true as far as the power gains this system produces. However, to make the comparisons fair to other modified engines the engine in the picture is not stock internally. It is a .060 bore, 10:1 compression, Crower 280/.460 cam, roller rockers and angle exhaust tubes with headers. Duane has since upgraded the Haltech computer along with an AEM distributor mount ignition and single coil plug with a drive by wire throttle body. That engine was built 13 years ago and is the same one we drove to Missouri and back last summer. At a constant 3500 to 4000 RPM out on the hiway at around 70 to 75 mph we still got 25 to 27 mpg and if you wanted to pass someone it was fun. The engine is getting a little tired though and is due for a freshen up sometime soon. The head in the picture is from the set I built for fast Eddies 66 last summer that has the dual throttle bodies and electric fans.

Thanks all,

Regan Metcalf
Portland Oregon

Date: January 28, 2018 08:39PM

Folks... that's "fast Eddie" from Portland, Or. not our fast eddie from Fla.

Posted by: rrp0403 ()
Date: January 29, 2018 09:40AM

Hey guys,

If I go through with this mod it will be for a sand rail application on the street as well as offroad. I plan on using a vw transmission as well.

Date: January 29, 2018 10:29AM

You stated earlier that $3k was out of your range.... Tri-porting will run you close to $2k....

Just take the parts you have and get the project on the street..

You say you already have the Chassis that is setup for mid-engine.... 90% of the work is done!

Also.. you notice you left for 4 days and the topic wandered... most won't remember what you have...

A Signature line [ Control Center ] will fix that...

Also... How about some pics of what you have..

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.