home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Valve seat 'Q';
Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: January 23, 2018 03:56PM

When having a turbo head rebuilt. Thinking about deep seats. Is it recommended that ALL seats be replaced as a preventive measure for dropped seats or it only necessary to do the exhaust valve seats?

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Valve seat 'Q';
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 23, 2018 04:05PM

ALL seats ...actually Intakes are more likely yo fall out

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 23, 2018 04:37PM

Take them to Ken Hand, close by you too no
shipping.

Oh Kerry I replied to your PM too.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: January 23, 2018 07:40PM

I don't think its necessary for small valve heads unless there are signs of abuse, i.e., bad head gasket surfaces, erosion around the seat from detonation, and visible creeping of the seat.

Crawford

Attachments:
Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 24, 2018 05:48AM

Replace them all, 140 and Turbo for sure.There going to fall out if you don’t, it’s just when ? Mike

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: January 24, 2018 07:19AM

I had 4 intake seats fall out in my old turbo heads within a few years. Small valve heads do drop seats but I think the turbo heads are much more likely than others since they run hotter. Replace all the seats and never worry about it again.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 24, 2018 09:59AM

I have repaired more engines with dropped "small valve" seats than 140 HP engines.

ALL of them are suspect now. And this replacing dropped valve seats began in the 80s for me! Not a recent problem. Remember Moby Dick Racing?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: January 24, 2018 10:25AM

Yes I remember Moby Dick Racing, because that was me when I lived in New England... until 1986 when I changed career location to the Phoenix AZ area.
After that I called my little shop "The Shop " in Mesa AZ and continued to replace seats, build high performance cylinder heads and engines for others.
On a part time basis while working Full Time at McDonnell Douglas Helicopter as a program manager on the Apache Long Bow helicopter.
Until buying property in NC in 2002.
Had to get out of the hellish high summer temperatures [ 122 in the shade in June ]
I still do work for a select and limited # of clients.
But mostly I am finishing some long delayed project cars of my own, and Vintage racing a few of my race cars.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 24, 2018 10:58AM

All seat rings have always been fragile. First one I saw was a plain 1960 140 ci 80hp PG in......1961.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 24, 2018 05:58PM

dryenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes I remember Moby Dick Racing, because that was
> me when I lived in New England... until 1986 when
> I changed career location to the Phoenix AZ area.
> After that I called my little shop "The Shop " in
> Mesa AZ and continued to replace seats, build high
> performance cylinder heads and engines for
> others.
> On a part time basis while working Full Time at
> McDonnell Douglas Helicopter as a program manager
> on the Apache Long Bow helicopter.
> Until buying property in NC in 2002.
> Had to get out of the hellish high summer
> temperatures [ 122 in the shade in June ]
> I still do work for a select and limited # of
> clients.
> But mostly I am finishing some long delayed
> project cars of my own, and Vintage racing a few
> of my race cars.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FIRST OFF I AM NOT DISSING ANYTHING OR ANYONE!

Speaking of Moby Dick I also remember the guarantee of valve seats not coming out even under racing conditions. And they did stay in!

Now what 40 years later? I repaired a set of Moby Dick heads that had dropped a valve seat. My point being is that after this amount of time ANY seat will fall out! It's all a matter of heat cycles and valve seats will fall out.

Bob, no offense meant just trying to let the world know that valve seats fall out when they get old, they do have a life limit!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 24, 2018 07:25PM

I last dropped a seat on my 63 Rampside with a 95HP 164 inch engine a few years ago on my way home from the Palm Springs Toss (in Flagstaff).
About 325 miles from my house. Not fun.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 24, 2018 07:27PM

Wow, Bob. I have a set of 140 heads here you did back in the 80s. I bought them from a friend's estate.

Want a story? Back n the 80s, a friend did a turbo setup on a 140 and brought it to me to drive it around the block. He said it ran better than the V-8 he used at Southside Speedway circle track. I drove it around one city block, ran great for the first half, then not so good. What a disappointed look on his face. He pulled the heads,and sent them to you because I dropped two valve seats in that one block. Ran great after that. Years later he donated the car to CPF. A fellow club member bought the car, didn't understand the turbo need on a 140, and pulled the engine out and put in a 110, then later sold the car. He had taken the engine apart. I bought the heads, still looking great, and the turbo from his estate. I'm waiting to build them back into something again! Your heads live on!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: January 24, 2018 08:28PM

Thanks Frank appreciate the story.
I stood behind the heads and the seat fors street use.
All racing customers were told they were not guaranteed because of the racing environment and the RED MIST that causes folks to ignore the fan belt is off light if they have one.
I had a set brought back to me with a seat issue and the fellow swore up and down that it "just happened".
I put the head on a flat plate and it was warped as bad as I have ever seen.
Sent the lying POS on his way.
I later learned from a friend of his that he had driven the car with the belt off for over 10 miles at highway speeds and only stopped because the engine got so hot it stopped.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 25, 2018 09:45AM

Yeah I hear that from the motoring public. "I pulled over immediately when the light/message came on".(They never tell me they drove it 10 miles after seeing the message and only stopped because the engine would not go any further).
Lucky for me they sell these cars to idiots.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.