home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Copper Throttle Shaft Bushings
Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: January 22, 2018 10:06PM

Yes, you read correctly, Copper throttle shaft bushings? Heres how it came about..
I have a carb body that a new Clarks throttle shaft wouldnt fix, it was extremely worn, so need to install some bushings.. no problem..yea right!
Yesterday, I spent a couple of hours running around town going to hardware stores, bolt and fastener stores, Napa auto parts, Tractor Supply and even called Royal Brass and Hose in Knoxville, no dice..no one had 5/16 brass or bronze bushings. Went to Lowes Home Improvement as my last resort and went thru the hardware bins, only to find 1/4 and 3/8 bushings...angry smiley
Just as I was ready to leave, I ran into a fellow Corvair Club member. After asking me what i was up to and expressing my frustration..he said "why dont you use Copper?"
We went to the plumbing isle and sure enough, there was a 12 inch stick of 1/4 inch copper tubing. I happened to have a new Clarks throttle shaft with me and the fit was surprisingly good. Didnt have much to loose paying three dollars for it.
I cut the tubing into short sections with a cutoff wheel as a tubing cutter collapsed the first one I cut. I tried to mount the carb body in my drill press vice and it wasnt going to work.. lets hope i can drill this out straight my hand! I started with a snug drill bit and worked my way up one size at a time, until I reached .375.
I deburred the copper bushings and sanded the outside just so the exopy would get some bite. After coating the bushings with expoy, i drove them in with a hammer handle and it was a snug fit going into the body. I immediately put in the new throttle shaft, just in case the bushings were off just a little, it would hopefully align the bushings. The shaft slid right in and there is very little movement. The shaft rotates freely and smoothly! The copper may not last as long as the aluminum, but its an experiment!

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Copper Throttle Shaft Bushings
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 22, 2018 10:15PM

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

They'll last a long time...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 22, 2018 11:19PM

Nice work.

I wonder if aluminum tubing in the same size is available.

Considering the age of carburetors, finding good ones is getting more difficult.

The 1965 carburetor is very popular and I suspect keeping them going is going to require new bushing for the shaft.

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: January 23, 2018 08:26AM

I had a short stick of .375 outside diameter T 5056 aluminhm tubing but the inside diameter was too small.
The insde could be driled and reamed buti dont have a 5/16 ream. I could have ordered a busbing kit from Clark or another kit from an online sorce but didnt want to wait on it shipped.

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: Mark Pietz ()
Date: January 23, 2018 11:07AM

I did a similar thing on an old Holley 1940 1-bbl, but with brass tubing from the hobby section. Drilled it out for the tubing, then pressed it in, and reamed it. One spec for wobble in a one barrel that I found from a commercial site that does rebushing, indicates that you're pretty shot by 0.020"; my "play" ended up at around 0.008". If you are close to this you'll be in great shape!

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: January 23, 2018 08:34PM

This is good to know. I got a pair of carbs from a certain carb rebuilder that gets varying reviews. Figured I would take the chance. They actually work really well EXCEPT for one that has a small vacuum leak at the throttle shaft. It runs great on Throttle with a good consistent AFR, but the idle AFR bounces around and it doesn't idle perfectly smooth. I was planning on putting some throttle shaft bushings in to tighten it up!

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 03:34PM

Ratt643 - Resourceful and Nice work!

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: January 24, 2018 03:51PM

Very cool. I have this kit from Canada: [www.throttleshaftrepair.com]

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: January 24, 2018 04:58PM

Nice! Always love the outside the box yet simple approach. Here’s what I did 6 years ago and still going strong : [corvaircenter.com]

The Corvair, Keeping Nader Notorious winking smiley

Will
Northern California

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: January 24, 2018 05:38PM

Good tinkin' dere, Richard! smoking smiley

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.