home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1962 Corvair Trans problems
Posted by: speedygt40 ()
Date: January 22, 2018 05:38PM

Hello,

Just bought a 1962 Corvair Spyder Convertible with a brand new built motor. Sold my 1963 Spyder Coupe for her. Problem is, the 1963 has been sitting for 30+ years. The motor was built less than 4 years ago. But I am told the trans is original and hasn’t been opened up. The trans has 45,000 miles on it. The trans is stuck in a higher gear, could be third. I fired up the corvair and the wheels were rolling pretty well quick. Now the car is in neutral and will shift into a gear. Should be first but it isn’t. The linkage is all hooked up and the clutch is tight. Even when you engage the clutch the wheels keep moving. Could it be a clutch problem? I’m removing the engine and trans next month to do some fine tooth coming and was thinking, should I get a new trans or tear my apart. Only problem is I never built a Corvair trans.

And other question is, anyone have experience with a Weber carb? Thinking of putting one on my corvair

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1962 Corvair Trans problems
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 22, 2018 05:53PM

Only 4 years?? This is a symptom of Disc stuck to flywheel...could be rusted... could be the disc in backwards

Since you just bought the car... pull the engine and inspect... so you know what you have.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: 1962 Corvair Trans problems
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 22, 2018 07:35PM

On most cars, a sure fire way to pop it loose is to take the inspection cover off and use a putty knife or pry bar. However, there is no such inspection plate on a Corvair. You must drop the drivetrain and separate it on the floor. Note I did not say drop the engine. This is because it is way easier to drop the whole drivetrain on an early Corvair than fool with taking just the engine out. YMMV

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.