Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
TRANSMISSION IDENTIFICATION
Posted by: justin one ()
Date: January 22, 2018 12:35PM

I have what I believe to be a 1966 Saginaw 4 spd tranny which uses the 6 bolt attachement. I found two numbers on the outside- 859956 and 3858954 . I am trying to determine when it was manufactured.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TRANSMISSION IDENTIFICATION
Posted by: schuls1 ()
Date: January 22, 2018 12:52PM

The date code should be stamped on a boss, close to the bottom, right edge area of the side cover, and to the left of the accelerator stud on the tranny.

Stan,

SW Missouri

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: January 22, 2018 01:12PM

Case and cover part numbers.

Chet in Ramona

Attachments:
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: January 22, 2018 09:14PM

The stamped numbers I believe might be the date it was assembled (do not know this for sure) and are the month-day only with no year. The stamping will start with an "R" for a 4sp or an "S" for 3sp then the numbers. They used a "T" for the PG's but you really don't have to find the "T" to know what you have with them. There is a casting date that is a capital letter for month, two digit number for the day and then a single number for the year. I believe this will be below the part number and near the sift rod on the side below the cover. This date code looks like it was a tag that was screwed into the mold.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.