Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
First Post Oil Pressure Safety Switch Question
Posted by: gostridr ()
Date: January 22, 2018 11:41AM

Hi All,

I've been lurking for some time and finally using up my first question! I will post the question first and then a brief background. Thank you for any help!

When installing the Airtex oil pressure safety switch (in combination with an electrical pump coversion), will I lose my 'dummy light'? Their YouTube video shows some cars may require a hardware adaption but I am unclear on when that is needed and if that helps me keep the light. Also, I found a post that says to NOT use the Airtex safety switch and instead use the Vega switch from 77-78. Since this is also a 3 prong switch I am not sure what is gained. Thank you for any clarification.

I love cars but have never gotten very good at fixing them, especially electrical. Hence my lack of understanding on exactly what I am wiring. I have always loved the Corvair and found a poor example that I can work on and hopefully slowly revive. I had a horrible summer trying to keep the diaphragm in the pump from drying out and leaking here in the desert. In addition, the car seemed to be without fuel after only a couple of days. This combination pushed me to install the Airtex electrical pump E8016S. The pump is installed and it is now time to learn about wiring and that switch. Thanks for your help!

Peter
1965 Corsa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 11:42AM by gostridr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Post Oil Pressure Safety Switch Question
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 22, 2018 12:10PM

Welcome to the CCF!! Which desert? lots of them in the SW!! gg

I would install and try the Airtex unit.. someone will probably post a "why not"

Nothing wrong with your pump... The gasoline today evaporates quickly.. especially in hot climates.. Ethanol and Oxygenation are the reasons..

You will still most likely have to crank for awhile after setting a few days... pump will not come on until it sees oil pressure.. Many use a "priming / Bypass" switch for this.

In cooler climates we like to crank... to get the oil flowing before ignition takes place.

As always... post some pics!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 22, 2018 01:10PM

I have two issues with the oil pressure switch setup.

First it is an eye sore with wires too close to the alternator fan.

Second you won't get any pump action until oil pressure comes up, unless you put in a "prime button" or relay off the start circuit.

Now folks are using the ignition trigger sensing boxes to cut power to the fuel pump if the engine stops. I haven't looked at them yet (sorry).

Here's a link to one on another forum [www.corvairforum.com]

Date: January 22, 2018 01:47PM

Thank you for the replies. 66Vairman, I bought that sensor on the spot. That helps me solve the prime issue AND keeps less wires from the engine. Thank you for the excellent option. I will report back shortly (hopefully!) Time for me to start learning about wiring!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 22, 2018 01:54PM

In our FAQ's gggg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 22, 2018 04:33PM

Use the Standard PS64 switch (it is the Vega Switch). If you need wiring schematics they should be in the FAQs. I made up a few for different types of configurations.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 22, 2018 07:35PM

Peter - Most folks are inexperienced with wiring and electrical items.

I'd suggest finding a Corvair club with a member who has electrical experience that will help you.

Some clubs have a number of technical folks who help each other out, or beer and pizza usually will work.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: January 23, 2018 12:52PM

I don't know what brand of switch I have, but is a simple two pronged switch, installed in a "T" with the idiot light in the other side.

There is no problem priming mine. When I get back to the car after a few weeks away, I turn on my ignition, pull the key and hold it between the two terminals until the carbs fill with gas. You can hear the pump sound change as it fills.Then I set the automatic choke and it purrs instantly.

Here you can see the two yellow wires going in and out of the switch (and also the freeze plug I used where the old pump was).

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 23, 2018 05:46PM

This is probably the simplest way to wire in the PS64 (Vega) switch and have a priming button. You also get to keep the low pressure warning light function.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Attachments:
Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 12:37PM

Date: January 26, 2018 04:48PM

Thank you for the excellent information. I will update soon after addressing the leaky gas tank. Keep your eyes peeled for my questions about THAT if I get stuck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.