home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
trans dummy shaft
Posted by: kaminski45 ()
Date: January 21, 2018 12:05PM

I am rebuilding a 64' 4 speed. The Corvair tech guide and 61' shop manual says to use a 9/16 dummy shaft while the 61'4 speed overhaul guide says to use a 11/16 dummy shaft for the countergear shaft removal. Which is the correct one to use? I would think that the 11/16 would be the correct one since it is the same size as the countergear shaft.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trans dummy shaft
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 21, 2018 02:22PM

I would think 9/16" would be easier for removal - less interference with the needle bearings.

The "trick" is putting it together. Then, you need 11/16" to hold the needle bearings in place.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: January 21, 2018 02:28PM

That was an acknowledged misprint in the original shop manual in a later Technical Service Bulletin. Use the larger shaft.

Crawford Rose

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 21, 2018 06:11PM

You really don't need any extra shafts to take apart or install the counter gear shafts. To remove the CG shaft just tap with a punch and as soon as it is out of the front of the case stop. Now support the counter gear and slid the shaft out by hand. The counter gear will come out and you may drop a needle or two but that is OK. Slide the counter gear out and dump the needles and spacer washers into a container, Toss the old shaft as it will be worn through the case hardening. Don't even think about turning it over or around! You can either get the full small parts kit and install new needles or you can inspect every needle for galling, probably only on one end of it and anywhere from 25-50% will be bad.

As you start to install the needles just use grease to hold them in place making sure that you keep the CG somewhat level or the needles and spacer will slide out. Install the counter gear in the case with the thrust washers out, maybe the front one needs to be in place, You can use a finger to hold it in place or move it once the CG is near where it needs to be. Now slide the other thrust washer in place and start the new CG shaft through, it should slide very easy all the way through to the thrust washer on the other end. Use a small screwdriver to move the thrust washer in position and slide the shaft that extra 3/16". Now you can tap the CG shaft into its final position. If you meet ANY resistance investigate why, a needle may have moved out of position.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: January 21, 2018 06:58PM

To add to what Ken said I use grease to hold the front thrust washer in place and then install the countergear. I then add grease to the rear washer and slide it into place. The grease helps keep things from falling out of place. I have never used a dummy shaft but if you want to it needs to be small enough to fit thru the smaller hole in the front of the case since you will push it out the front as the new shaft comes in from the rear.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 21, 2018 07:13PM

Yes you can do it without the shaft but it sure makes it easy if you use the shaft and you don't have to put so much grease in there.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: January 21, 2018 07:41PM

Just get a 5/8 to 11/16 wooden dowel from the hardware store! Its not a big deal.

Crawford Rose

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: January 22, 2018 05:50AM

Anytime that nothing else will do but precision, go a industrial supply store and buy Drill rod. It comes in any Dia and is sold in 3`0" lengths. It is +000-0001 Dia and they will even cut to suit.

Posted by: kaminski45 ()
Date: January 22, 2018 06:12AM

My plan is to use the old shaft and just cut it down since I will be installing a new one. Might turn it down a few thousandths for easier removal.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 22, 2018 07:41AM

kaminski45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Might turn it down a few thousandths for easier removal.

This would be mandatory or you'll ruin the tight fit in the front hole.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.