home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Help with son's 1995 Honda Civic Overheating Problem!
Posted by: 1963RedBrier ()
Date: January 23, 2018 04:45AM

Update #3: This is for you Frank! Used my IR and got the following readings with the car warmed up.

Upper Radiator Hose - 129

Lower Radiator Hose - 68

Overflow Tank - 74

Radiator - 76

Also, after the car idled in the driveway for 20 minutes or so, the heat was working fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 23, 2018 10:19AM

Often a blown head gasket or cracked head. Remove the spark plugs and turn it over (after cooling). If you see water or mist come out of the spark plug holes, sell it. Not worth the work and parts cost to fix them. Ask me how I know.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: January 23, 2018 02:23PM

Not completely clear on the first issue.
If it’s good now,sounds like you’ve bled the air out. 👍

The Corvair, Keeping Nader Notorious winking smiley

Will
Northern California

Posted by: BrianTom ()
Date: January 24, 2018 10:06AM

Go to civicforums.com. I've used them heavily of the past 20 years of owning a civic. I have a 98 that's still on the road even after a blown head gasket that I had to replace about 4 or 5 years ago. Still going strong.

If you can get the fan fixed, then that's a lot cheaper. My experience with a blown head gasket in my 98 Civic is that you know that it's overheated immediately. The temp spikes. I also couldn't get mine to overheat much in the driveway, but when I drove it less than a mile, the temp spiked.

I removed the head, had it machined. If you do this, also check the block since they can also warp in the Civics. Put a metal ruler or level along the sides of the block. If it's stable, it's good enough for the head gasket to take up the minor imperfections...if it rocks a little, then it's warped and you need a new block/engine.

I got the regular Honda gasket and bought new ARP studs...they'll probably last longer than the engine. I also replaced all the little gaskets, etc. It's been going for about 40 to 50k miles since then and my son uses it as his daily driver.

If the engine is trashed but the body and interior are OK, replacement engines are cheap...much cheaper than a car payment or buying another car. I haven't installed one my self, but there are countless YouTube videos on how to do it. There are also several on replacing the head gasket.

'63 Corvair 700
Huntsville, AL
[www.brianwindsor.com]

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 24, 2018 08:10PM

The temperatures either are a good working cooling system, or there is no flow. I would think the upper hose just after the thermostat should be close to the thermostat rating.

I like Brian's description of a head gasket failure. Driving it puts more pressure against the failed gasket than idling in the driveway.

Has he been driving it the last few days? Is the overflow jug still bubbling?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Update!: OT: Help with son's 1995 Honda Civic Overheating Problem!
Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: January 25, 2018 05:15AM

1963RedBrier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The overflow tank was bubbling on the first two
> tests, but we did them backward from cylinder 4
> left to cylinder 1.

A very good sign you have a bad head gasket. If you are holding, or causing pressure in a cylinder, while doing a compression test, and you get bubbling in the cooling system. You have a bad internal gasket. As mentioned, common with Civics. I had a neighbor with one who kept driving his, kept adding coolant. The pressure from the blown head gasket blew out his radiator....

Now the cause? Did you get the fans working? There are universal fan controllers available at the parts store that use a probe you put between the fins of the radiator. Not very expensive. Temp that the fans come on is adjustable. Much better than a manual switch, if not paying attention you could overheat the engine by forgetting to hit the switch.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 25, 2018 07:22AM

Too much pressure in the cooling system is usually caused by engine compression finding its way into the coolant. Another test is put a cooling system pump pressure tester on the radiator and see how quick the pressure goes up. All these suggestions are using some basic tools. Greg, do you have any of these things mentioned? A lot of people think they can do automotive work with a screwdriver, crescent wrench, and a pair of pliers (with a match book cover for a feeler gauge).

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 25, 2018 09:40AM

Hey Tim, that's a Model A tool box! Maybe a worn silver dime for the points instead of matchbook.... In case you don't smoke.grinning smiley

Greg, I have the radiator tester if you need to borrow.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.