home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Repainting Interior and I need the gloss percentages for the various painted surfaces
Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: January 21, 2018 06:57AM

Hi Gang,

I have completed a search of the forum and I cannot find what I am looking for. The interior paint on my corvair needs to be refinished and I am looking for the percentages of gloss used on the various interior painted surfaces.

My interior is black, so I don’t have any issues with color, but there appears to be a number of gloss percentages used on various painted parts on my interior. For example:

I see a flat color used on the trim around the dash pad (closest to the windshield), a semigloss color used on the a-pillars, and a full gloss used on the inside of the doors.

The other painted interior parts like heater vents and fresh air vents have been repainted so I have no idea what gloss percentages they should use. Radio mount? Dash above the instrument cluster? Steering wheel hub and column? Parking brake?

I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to determine the glossiness of the various paints used on the interior of the corvair.

Thanks so much gang!

Joe

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repainting Interior and I need the gloss percentages for the various painted surfaces
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: January 21, 2018 07:31AM

Here is what I have for a reference. It indicates codes and also the paint gloss at different locations. I recall this info being hard to find back when I was searching for it...this is a universal GM reference printed by Ditzler. Ditzler was sold to PPG and from talking w/ my body guy and the paint store these paint codes have not cross-referenced to anything current for many years. So you basically have to guess and custom match with today's paints. Since your interior is black this won't be hard.

The left and right floor vents in the rocker panels are supposed to be painted a dark grey color. There is a thread on the forum discussing it...the closest color is a Mercedes interior trunk color called "Deep Dark Grey" in german of course. It is a satin finish. I actually have a spray can that I had mixed up...I can mail it to you if you want b/c it will for sure dry up long before I will ever need to use it again.

The rear heat vents under the rear seat are satin black. I actually bought an NOS set of them in original boxes. I ended up sandblasting and repainting them b/c the NOS paint was very poor quality...runs and drips in the paint, etc. I'd guess there was poor quality control on those back in the day.

Parking brake handle was satin black, as were the fresh air vents.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 07:33AM by Nickshu.

Re: Repainting Interior and I need the gloss percentages for the various painted surfaces
Date: January 21, 2018 07:40AM

One other note...in the "gloss colors" on the interior paint list above my understanding is that "gloss" on the interior meant about 60% gloss. Flat colors meant 0% gloss, however this might not look good so may have been more like 10% gloss. Adding flattener to the paint is pretty arbitrary so your paint guy will need to do some test panels for you to get what you are looking for.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: January 21, 2018 07:51AM

The convertible rocker vent color is called Tiefdunkelgrau. It's a Mercedes color and the brand code I have is 301574 for it.

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: January 21, 2018 08:04AM

Thanks so much Nick! I have forwarded this information to my painter.

Joe

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 21, 2018 10:54AM

Nickshu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The convertible rocker vent color is called
> Tiefdunkelgrau. It's a Mercedes color and the
> brand code I have is 301574 for it.

There are 2 manufacturers of this specific paint, one is Sikens and the other is Spies Hecker. I had given this information to Cal Clark back in the 1980's, when he borrowed the front heater air grilles from my 1964 Spyder convertible for reproduction. I found the paint color by comparing it to the paint in the trunk of my MB 300SDL. At that time, you could purchase the paint ready made from the Mercedes Parts Department in quarts.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 21, 2018 02:35PM

That's interesting stuff, not that this has anything to do with interior paint. I wanted a 2 part paint when I had mine done. There was no match for GM Cypress green in a 2 part. He shot the jams and under hood With Imron then scanned it. It came up as almost a dead ringer for BMW Iceland Green metallic. Nice thing is this color is still readily available. You really have to look hard to see where separation lines are to see any difference.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 21, 2018 05:23PM

Good, Nick, that is what I would have posted for gloss reference!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.