home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
VIN/Title issue with GB
Posted by: 1960es ()
Date: January 19, 2018 02:01PM

So, I find myself in an interesting situation. I put a deposit on a GB for a fair price. The deposit was not much $$.

The gentleman I bought it from is also from my state but he had not titled it here from when he bought it 2 years ago in Ohio. He planned to title it and when he had a clean title in his name, he would provide the title and I would pay the remainder of the balance. Sounds like a good plan.

Well, he figured out during his move that he lost the title and contacted the person from whom he bought it. He was more than happy to apply for a replacement title since it was still in his name. All going well so far, don't you think? Furthermore, they decided to go ahead and name me as the purchaser and the local seller knocked more off the price.

So, the title shows up and prior to paying the balance, I check the VIN on the title with the VIN on the vehicle. All digits agree perfectly except one....the fifth digit. The first five digits on the title read 1R125 and the VIN plate on the vehicle first five digits read 1R126. The rest of the digits are identical. Obviously, at some point in the past, the VIN was recorded incorrectly at the DMV since all the other numbers match.

I am bummed because I like it but this will be a real problem since any out of state vehicles have to be inspected by the NC DMV. Anybody ever been in this situation?

The person I left the deposit with is a stand up guy (and the person he bought it from) and he is willing to refund my deposit.

Thanks,
Eddie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VIN/Title issue with GB
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 19, 2018 02:14PM

I have purchased several vehicles over the years where one digit was off when comparing the title to the VIN plate. When I went to transfer titles, the DMV clerk filled out a simple correction form "statement of facts" and the new title in my name had the corrected information.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: January 19, 2018 03:00PM

My Rampside had a 'one digit off' issue.

I talked to the DMv, and they sent the state inspector (to my house even!). 5 minutes later, he determined the VIN had not been altered on the Rampside, and completed some paperwork to issue me a title.

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: 1960es ()
Date: January 19, 2018 06:12PM

Thanks!

Posted by: krfjkm ()
Date: January 19, 2018 07:11PM

I have had good luck with the DMV folks in NC... reasonable folks---

KRFJKM
Charlotte NC
1965 Corvair Corsa

Posted by: redone76 ()
Date: January 19, 2018 08:01PM

Man you guys are lucky! Here in California you’d have to submit to a blood and polygraph test then pay some stupid ridiculous fee

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 19, 2018 08:26PM

Pay ridiculous fees.. YES.... but Cal is easy to title old vehicles..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.