home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Body repair welding
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 19, 2018 07:01AM

I have a fair amount of body repair to do on my 66. The usual rusted out places and a lot of drilled holes from PO body work with a puller. What is the gage of the body steel? Second question, has anyone used the Eastwood Mig welder [www.eastwood.com] for sheet metal? it looks like it will work well but only has the capacity to do up to about 1/4" steel. I don't think I will do much more than that but who knows. I have 220 but they seem to go up in price quickly. I have thought of buying a used one from Craigs list but I don't know enough to make a good buying decision. New seems safer even if I get a smaller welder.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Body repair welding
Posted by: TroyWidtfeldt ()
Date: January 19, 2018 07:28AM

I've had the same problem, dont try to stick weld sheet metal, i can be done but its hard. Dont go the flux core route either.

Keep in mind there is a warranty on new products, unless the used one is so cheap that you cannot let it go by.....

Dunno, just my 2 cents

Ive done a lot of repairing sheetmetal with my little stick welder, but you HAVE to get small rods and reverse the polaritys and it take some getting used to.

Troy W

Posted by: 66Monza140 ()
Date: January 19, 2018 07:29AM

If you ever think you'll need to weld a frame, or larger than 3/16" steel, go 220v and don't look back. Most 110v units may claim up to 1/4", but not with single pass and lack the voltage to really burn in for multiple passes. For sheetmetal a 110 unit would suffice.

"Give'r hell 'til you see God, then back'er down a notch"

'66 Monza 140 4 sp w/A/C...
Western VT

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: January 19, 2018 08:49AM

The Eastwood welder you linked to should work for Corvair body work. The sheet metal on a Corvair is 20-22 gauge. The problem with "most" smaller welders is they are intended for heavier material than sheet metal and will burn through sheet metal in a heartbeat. Its easy to make a big hot spark, its when you need a small controllable spark that the costs goes up exponentially. Read the manual and follow their recommendations for heat and speed for the specific size material you're working with, start at the lowest end they suggest and practice on some scrap first.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: January 19, 2018 09:24AM

My eastwood 175 does a great job , you can dial it in to do any guage steel.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Attachments:

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: January 19, 2018 09:33AM

I have the welder you linked to (Eastwood MIG 135) and love it. I went from a Campbell-Hausfeld that had two switches that only allowed four heat settings (and infinite speed) and the Eastwood with the variable heat setting is a definite step up. I haven't used it in about four years, but I used the C-H unit to weld floorpans and a dash and the Eastwood to weld a trunk pan into a '68 Camaro I had and the Eastwood unit was much easier to use and get a clean weld. I had no problems dialing it down to get a good puddle on thin sheet metal without burning through. Definitely stay away from the flux-core wire - I use 0.023" solid wire and CO2-Argon gas for sheet metal. I haven't tried (or needed to) weld heavier metal.

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: January 19, 2018 10:14AM

Carburetor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the welder you linked to (Eastwood MIG 135)
> and love it. I went from a Campbell-Hausfeld that
> had two switches that only allowed four heat
> settings (and infinite speed) and the Eastwood
> with the variable heat setting is a definite step
> up. I haven't used it in about four years, but I
> used the C-H unit to weld floorpans and a dash and
> the Eastwood to weld a trunk pan into a '68 Camaro
> I had and the Eastwood unit was much easier to use
> and get a clean weld. I had no problems dialing
> it down to get a good puddle on thin sheet metal
> without burning through. Definitely stay away
> from the flux-core wire - I use 0.023" solid wire
> and CO2-Argon gas for sheet metal. I haven't
> tried (or needed to) weld heavier metal.

What Jim said...
-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: January 19, 2018 10:55AM

I use a 110v Millermatic 130XP that I bought used several years ago. Plenty of welding power for the 18 to 22 ga metal I am welding and assume that the Eastwood unit is similar. The Miller has been very reliable and trouble free. You need to get the gas though...welding with flux core is messy and I have not had great luck.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: January 19, 2018 01:35PM

I would say MILLER is the best...I used one for an hour at a friends house...that is the only time I had a really nice looking weld.

If you go into WELDING SHOPS HERE, 99% of them have Miller's...that should speak volumes.

I bought a 135 Lincoln mig, great welder, used, I think the guy said 125.00...I jumped on it not knowing anything about welders but knew that was a great deal but really wanted a Miller.

It allowed me to weld two subframes and neither have even cracked the bondo that I put on to smooth the frame and make it look factory and also as a safety check on the welds...also has welded floor pans and body panels, etc ...you can see what the floor looked like on my 51 ford...guy on ebay said this car would go back black....yeah...right.

Attachments:

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: January 19, 2018 07:47PM

I have had my Eastwood 135 for about 6 years now, never had an issue, and I don't think you can beat it for the price. I have gone through a ton of wire and yet to have had a single issue. I usually use .023 for all my sheetmetal work, but for heavier work I use .035. You will get lot's of opinions, especially from the red and blue guys, and they are good machines for sure, but there is a substantial difference in price. I bought what my budget at the time allowed. My next welder will be a TIG, but I will continue to use my Eastwood until I kill it, and I'm not sure if I can at this point.
Go with what you can afford!

65 Crown coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4LE85 Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 Turbo 400
2005 Chevrolet Duramax 2500HD
2011 Honda Accord 6 speed Navi Coupe
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 20, 2018 05:26AM

If you have any inclination to go with a TIG I have the Eastwood TIG WELDER I just recently had a chance to use it to it's full potential and I was surprised at what it did. While I cannot weld up full valve seats I did repair a rocker gasket surface and a damaged corner of a seat pocket, that is where the full 200 amps cones in! I then proceeded to dial it down and I welded some angle port exhaust stacks.
Sorry no pictures.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 20, 2018 06:47AM

I recently went to Eastwood and looked at a video with their brake tube flaring and bending tools. In the background was a LM Corvair chassis down to bare metal with some body panels cut out. It made me think they were using it for welding and rust prevention videos but I didn't look further. There's a link within the recent "Double Flaring Tools" thread.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 20, 2018 07:12AM

A 135 amp welder is perfectly adequate (and perhaps preferred) for welding sheet metals. Key is infinitely adjustable heat settings, practice, not flux core, and .023-.025 wire. I own a Lincoln 135 and it is fine for everything up to about 3/16" thickness using properly sized wire. It is wired for 220V. 220V is better. Duty cycle time is much higher with 220V than 110V and I find the welds are more consistent (My machine can be wired 110 or 220). My favorite welder for sheet metal was a Lincoln SP100 100 amp 110V welder. It was perfect in heat range adjustment but it died after over 10 years of hard use in my auto body shop and was discontinued. My 135 is not as finely adjustable down low as the 100 amp unit was, but, is adequate with care.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 20, 2018 09:37AM

Thanks for all the information and particularly the actual experiences. I will take one more look at used welders on Craig's list for a steal but will probably go for the Eastman. If I can up my budget a little, I'll get a 220v.

I have been staring at my 66 body since it came back from being stripped and sealed in primer. Time to start moving forward again. Spring is coming, time to race! hot smiley

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: beenzo2since71 ()
Date: January 20, 2018 03:49PM

bob, have you thought of 08115 / 3M, it a panel bond , all the body shops up here use it , kick back is you need a duel app, guns to apply it , al

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: January 20, 2018 04:29PM

Another thing about the 135... I am 99% positive it has the provision for a spool gun to MIG aluminum, I have seen it thrown in for free during some promotions. Mine is too old to retrofit :-(

65 Crown coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4LE85 Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 Turbo 400
2005 Chevrolet Duramax 2500HD
2011 Honda Accord 6 speed Navi Coupe
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 20, 2018 04:46PM

beenzo2since71 Wrote:
> bob, have you thought of 08115 / 3M, it a panel
> bond , all the body shops up here use it , kick
> back is you need a duel app, guns to apply it , al

Have to be careful where you use panel adhesives. Can not use them where structures were held together with welds. It is not as strong. It is excellent for use along with welds (use weld through panel adhesives) make and even stronger bond than welds alone, (disclaimer: If you do this ..weld and bond...on a new car that was not that way from the factory you may make it too strong so it will not collapse properly in a wreck...could hurt someone), and it also seals the seam.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: January 20, 2018 06:01PM

I have the big Lincoln 350 TIG machine as well as a Miller 225 MIG, Lincoln 175 MIG, Eastwood TIG 200. They are all great machines. For sheet metal work, the Lincoln 175 is very controllable. However, Eastwood's welding machines are a good match for either Lincoln or Miller. You really can't go wrong with any of them, they're quality welders. I woukd like to add the Northern Tools welders too as good options. I don't have any Klutch welders but I have friends who do and they're very happy with their ability.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Date: January 21, 2018 11:58AM

beenzo2since71 Wrote:
> bob, have you thought of 08115 / 3M, it a panel
> bond , all the body shops up here use it , kick
> back is you need a duel app, guns to apply it , al

I am welding up holes, not panels.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: croderique ()
Date: January 21, 2018 12:31PM

Anybody installed/welded in the Clark's Steel 12g Rocker Panels, C3350CT? Are they a lot of work to install? Any tricks other than securing the car so it has the correct alignment? Or is this a job only for a body shop with a jig?
Thanks
Chuck

Buckeye, AZ.
1966 Monza convertible 110 hp 4 speed Aztec Bronze with Bronze interior

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.