Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Car died on me
Posted by: 4wd430 ()
Date: January 18, 2018 06:52PM

Took the Corvair out for a ride and parked her up for 30 minutes. Took her out again and got 15 feet before she stalled out. Popped her into neutral and attempted to restart but no GEN/TEMP lights when I turned the key. Removed negative cable and put it back on and nothing. Thought maybe the battery died so hooked up a jumper and I only heard clicking when I turned the key. Took off the jumper and turned key and no lights again. Went to the back, lifted the battery up (with cables still connected), shook it a little and put it back down. Turned key and car started right up.

Bad grounds/corroded cables?

* A few weeks ago I went to start the Corvair and nothing at all. GEN/TEMP lights didn't even come on. Tried jumping and nothing. Took battery out and tested it at Advanced Auto Parts and battery tested out to be very healthy. Came back, reinstalled battery and car fired right up like nothing happened.

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 06:52PM by 4wd430.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car died on me
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: January 18, 2018 06:55PM

I think I would have the battery tested, might have a shorted cell.

That, and check the large red wire in the rear at the harness connection, left hand side near the firewall.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 18, 2018 07:02PM

Rear Wiring harness connector is usually the culprit..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 18, 2018 11:42PM

What battery cable ends? The fully sealed are best, but often are replaced over time with the "clamp on" style that invite corrosion and poor connections.
Perhaps your moving the battery allowed the connection to become able to conduct the large current that a starter requires.
All connections from the post thru the terminals and wires needs to be clean and tight.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 19, 2018 06:43AM

Purple wire going to the starter. Usually the connector there in the engine compartment. They seem to get corroded and loose. Changing it is on the list for my car too. A good reseat usually does it until it can be fixed.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 19, 2018 06:48AM

Probably the connectors that go on the battery posts, as Dan has already pointed out. Only thing you mess with and it starts working. Cut off those connectors and put on some new clamp on connectors, until you have time to install new cables with molded on connectors.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 19, 2018 07:43AM

After you have checked the externals as described... You may want to remove the ignition switch and repair or replace it. I have ran across quite a few of the won't start, then later will start issue before with Early ignition switches.
After years the internal contacts arc and the backing plate gets burnt back leaving a divot at the contacts. Removing the back plate of the ignition switch will show this on most used original switches. The problem is... when checked with an ohm meter, many times the switch seems fine.

If all the other check points mentioned above fail to resolve your starting issue. I recommend checking the ignition switch.

Corventure Dave

Date: January 19, 2018 05:16PM

So today spent some time in the freezing cold to trouble shoot this issue. Cleaned out the ground that the negative battery cable and I presume the starter grounds at and all the connectors themselves. I wire brushed everything to clean the surface of any rust and corrosion.

Hoping that would fix the issue, it didn't...

[www.youtube.com]

Took this video right after I had cleaned that grounding spot. Seems wiggling the positive side made the difference. I think the problem lies in that area.

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Date: January 19, 2018 05:36PM

Clean the harness plug!!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 19, 2018 05:48PM

In your youtube video you can actually see the positive cable moving inside the clamp when you move it. Remove the strap. Wire brush the cable and the clamp. Flip the strap over. Reinstall and motor on

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: January 19, 2018 09:06PM

Thanks for the help guys! So I will remove the positive strap and attempt to clean it. I will also remove the clamp from the strap as suggested and try and clean that. What is the positive strap connected to on the other end? Maybe I should clean that end too.

Is there a reason for flipping the strap over? I also noticed in person like you said that the wires inside the positive clamp were moving when I was wiggling the strap.

Thanks again.

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Date: January 19, 2018 09:13PM

The positive is a replacement unit.. ONE size fit's all

You do not have enough wires in to to clamp tight on the cable..

Take the two 7/16" bolts out... lift the strap off.... you will most likely see corrosion... clean it off.

Put strap and put on upside down... so it will press harder on the cable!

You want NO WIGGLE of the wire ends when you shake the cables..

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 20, 2018 06:01AM

4wd430 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the positive strap
> connected to on the other end? Maybe I should
> clean that end too.

It is connected to a large post on the starter solenoid with a nut.
It is "HOT" all the time the battery posts are connected. So remove the positive cable on the battery before servicing any solenoid connections.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.