Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
What's in your late model non-telescopic wood wheel hub?
Posted by: Tom Rahochik ()
Date: January 16, 2018 08:12AM

In the hub, some original owners have two round allen head bolts attached on each
side of the main steering wheel nut, and some do not. If these are necessary,
what is their purpose?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's in your late model non-telescopic wood wheel hub?
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 16, 2018 06:58PM

Tom,

I don't recall seeing anything like what you describe on the late late models. And for sake of information, the late-late style is sold (new parts) by Clarks, and Classic Industries.

So you must be referring to the early-late ('65-6) style. Haven't had too many of those apart.

-Mark

Posted by: MarkDustan ()
Date: January 16, 2018 07:45PM

I have my 65 Wood wheel (non telescopic) apart and refinishing it. I have it apart not yet assembled I could take photos if that would help

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 16, 2018 10:55PM

Tom - Which year/model are you addressing? I don't know of any Allen head (Socket head) screws in any Corvair hub. The 65-66 woodish (plastic) wheel option had the wheel riveted onto a stamped steel stand-off welded to a center hub. The tall outer shell is sandwiched in-between the wheel and the stand-off, retained by the rivets. The horn button snaps into a horn switch which screws down on top of the wheel - the screws go past the wheel and enter the stand-off. The horn switch has a long leg which extends down to the horn pass-through, feeding the ground circuit up to the horn button. At the bottom of the stand-off, only a washer and the retainer nut appear. Now, To remove the hub, someone may have used a pair of socket-head screws and a plate, to put pressure on the steering shaft (after the nut/washer was removed). This would pull the wheel off the end of the steering shaft. Maybe they left the screws in place after removing the wheel?

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Tom Rahochik ()
Date: January 19, 2018 07:46PM

Seth:

There are two course thread holes on each side of the main steering shaft hole
in the bottom of the hub which are 180 degrees from each other. Threaded into
these holes are 2 round allen head bolts which are 3/4 inch in length. The round
head is 1/4 inch in height and the threaded part is 1/2 inch in length. They are
not long enough to be wheel/hub removal screws. I am unsure what purpose they
serve.......

Tom

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 19, 2018 08:09PM

Those are the two holes used for removal. Those two bolts are placeholders. Ignore them.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.