Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Double Flaring Tool
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 16, 2018 06:38AM

I've always gotten by with a somewhat inexpensive K-D double flaring tool set with the wingnuts holding the base. I guess I don't pay much attention when it's going okay.
Recently when installing a dual MC in a 66, I wanted to make the original 1/4" line under the dash going to the rears 1" shorter. It took 3 attempts to get it right, I kept getting a split in the line in the same place. On the third attempt I didn't tighten the press quite as tight when doing the second operation.
In doing this, I noticed that the tool base tightens just about all the way down when doing the original tube but on my replacement tubing there's about a 1/32 or 1/16 gap in the base plates.
I read somewhere that tubing these days is somewhat thicker, but the tube nuts seem to fit okay. I also read somewhere that straight lengths of tubing have a seam and the coiled variety are seamless. I've been using the coiled EZ Bend alloy 1/4" tubing but I'm just about out and need to buy a new supply. I thought about buying a straight 20' length of regular steel rather than EZ bend to avoid having to straighten it but now I'm not so sure if it indeed has a seam.
I also wonder if I should have a better tool. I don't see any defects in my base, dies or press. Just doing it faster doesn't warrant the expense for me, it's not like I use it all the time. I also like to do the operation on the chassis in tight quarters sometimes. There seems to be wide price swings for tools.
I'd also like to get a tool that makes tigther bends when forming, I suppose with a smaller wheel.
As an aside, on Corvairs with 3/16 to the rear I generally just bend it indirectly a few times to use up the extra length. As another aside, I saw in another thread where a fellow locates his new hole behind the original rather than sideways which allows the line to the rear to be the same length. It might be better going forward, after making some new template lines.
Thanks in advance for tutorial on brake tubing and tools to deal with it.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double Flaring Tool
Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: January 16, 2018 08:10AM

Have you looked at the Eastwood Pro Flaring Tool?

They also sell a hydraulic tool that may be easier to use for "on car" repairs
GMoore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 08:18AM by gmgmtl.

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: January 16, 2018 08:20AM

Anneal the tip before you start to flare! No splits, no problem.

Date: January 16, 2018 08:31AM

Eastwood pro tool looks attractive, at $240 I would have to mull it over.

Annealing is interesting, probably a little risky in a line full of brake fluid under the dash.

Thanks for good suggestions and I'm anxious to read more.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: January 16, 2018 08:32AM

gmgmtl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you looked at the Eastwood Pro Flaring Tool?
>

I have used the Eastwood tool and it is so insultingly simple to use and produced perfect flares time after time.

The only pain is that tool requires flaring THEN bending of a line. I found this to be reasonable and not too demanding.

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 16, 2018 08:40AM

Messing with the rear line up under the dash!!!

This is why I don't use the vendor kits.

On a LM install a second "T" behind the original you do not have to modify the rear line under the dash.

Just make up lines from the dual MC to the bulkhead fittings - much easier.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: January 16, 2018 10:12AM

I have the MasterCool hydraulic double flare tool, looks similar to the one eastwood sells. It works great every time and is portable. I also have a set of JIC / AN Fitting flare ends for the tool to do braded hose to solid tubing.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: January 16, 2018 12:50PM

[www.eastwood.com]

I went to Eastwood and was looking at a 30 minute video with their brake tools and there was a LM Corvair body in the background, down to bare metal with some body panels cut out. How cool is that?
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: January 16, 2018 01:34PM

I have a Cal-Van 165 Master Flaring Tool (450) and did pretty well with steel lines but after changing to Nickel-Copper tubing I have not made made a bad flare yet.

I can use this tool in tight spaces on the vehicle. The Ni-Copp tubing is very easy to bend as well. Yes, the tubing is approved for brake line use.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 16, 2018 02:48PM

I also use the Mastercool hydraulic flare tool. Works great. Cumbersome, but you can use it on/under/inside the car. Also does those GM quick connects that I need for modern iron. I use this with Cunifer/NiCopp/copper-nickel tubing all the time.

For bench work that Eastwood Pro flare tool looks interesting. I've been looking at it for some time.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: January 16, 2018 03:25PM

If you want to go on the cheap, but better than the FLAPS flaring tool. RIDGID makes a good set of flaring tools that seem to work well with today's tubing. Still equires a bit of skill but results are repeatable. They even have one for the GM bubble flare.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: January 16, 2018 04:20PM

Another vote for the Eastwood tool, I have had mine for at least 5 years, and used the heck out of it. I also found the kit to use it with 37 degree AN fittings As mentioned above, ridiculously easy to use, just file the burrs off after the cut and use a little oil, perfect EVERY time.

65 Crown Coupe
65 GTO 4 speed Tri-Power Convert
67 Cutlass Supreme LS3/4L85e Convert
1970 El Camino SS 396 TH400
2006 GTO
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 16, 2018 05:26PM

I need one that won't let you tighten the tubing clamp until you place the flare nut on the tubing. Who makes one of those?

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: January 16, 2018 06:41PM

I know right? Always seems to happen on your most perfect flair ever.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: January 17, 2018 05:40PM

Over the years I have used the old flaring tools with mixed results. The usual split, off center type flairs , even some good ones. The Eastwood professional tool is a God send. I bought mine on their sale for under $200 and it was a do I really need that expensive tool? Well as stated above , I couldn't believe how easy it is to do a double flair. Just like the video, 1-2-3 and you get a perfect double flair. I my case. no do overs in doing the whole car front to back side to side. No longer lines because you just hate to do another flair. Just buy it and smile on everyone you do as it will be perfect.

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: January 17, 2018 05:57PM

I have both the hydraulic flaring tool as well as the mechanical cam version from Eastwood and my preference is:

[www.eastwood.com]

It is a two step process but it forms a perfect flare for double flares on both steel lines and the more flexible ni-cu lines. Make sure the tube is cut square, run a deburring tool for the inside of the tube, file the end with a fine file for a clean end and the flare will fit and seal perfectly.

I even bought the dies for the 37 deg (jic) flare lines since I make hydraulic steel lines at times. I also used this tool on SS lines but you can only do a single flare with those.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: Goop Of Oil ()
Date: January 17, 2018 08:13PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.eastwood.com]
> bing-bender-3-16-3-8-in.html
>
> I went to Eastwood and was looking at a 30
> minute video with their brake tools and there was
> a LM Corvair body in the background, down to bare
> metal with some body panels cut out. How cool is
> that?

It made me want to STOP...and look at the video. smiling bouncing smiley

Mark Holmlund

Attachments:

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: January 18, 2018 09:01PM

I love the Eastwood Pro flaring tool. Super easy to use and perfect flares. It goes on sale pretty regularly.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.