Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Wife's first ride in the GB
Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: January 15, 2018 01:56AM

Yesterday was a landmark event. Following the fitment of the seatbelts the wife was quite happy to be a passenger in the Greenbrier for the first time since purchase! We didn't go far, just about 15 miles to our accountants but she didn't express hatred for it.

Just a couple of issues on the trip. The heater is just rubbish, we were both freezing cold by the time we got back. I know the heater isn't very good but really it was doing nothing.

Second issue was I wasn't convinced were always firing on all 6 cylinders. On returning home I flipped down the rear hatch and I could easily see one of the leads was arcing to part of the engine cover. Switched off and lifted the hatch, found that the offending lead was no longer attached to the plug so pushed it back on. It did sound much better afterwards so a quick result.

After cooling down I did take the opportunity to check all the plug leads and did take a plug out for inspection. Was an AC branded one, probably been in for years. Didn't seem too worn but I've ordered some spares anyway.

Distributor cap was also inspected. No cracks but there was some evidence of corrosion on some terminals so again probably time for a new one. Not an easy find in the UK though so will have to order one from the US. The exhaust is not in particularly good condition so perhaps I'll bite the bullet and order one of those too at the same time. It could well be original though so I'm not expecting it to come off very easily at all. I can already envisage broken studs and that's even before I choose to replace all the exhaust components.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wife's first ride in the GB
Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: January 15, 2018 03:48AM

Glad that your wife didn't hate her first ride in the GB, which probably means that she will let you keep it. grinning smiley

The forced air heater can be fixed to supply proper heat but you definitely need to address any exhaust leaks and oil leaks because those dangerous fumes can be drawn/blown into the passenger cabin.

If you have not already done so, you should check the heater hoses and replace with the proper ones, if needed.

Also check the heater blower motor and squirrel cage because rodents love to make nests inside.

You might consider purchasing the new, higher CFM blower motor.

Good luck!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 15, 2018 04:32AM

In my time driving an FC and in cold weather I found that if I hung a piece of plastic behind the front seat that isolated the VERY large rear area. Close off the rear heater so everything goes up front. In 20 degree, (-6 C for you), weather yo will be comfortable. The plastic will tuck in the roof brace to hold it up and the rest can just be loose on the sides and floor.

Look at your exhaust and then the manifold ears where the studs are, there should be lots of material around the stud. If there is not and the stud is rusted beyond reusing it will be hard to drill and tap and save the manifold.
Plan for the worst and when it isn't that bad you are lucky!

Also the spark plug wires should snap on top of the spark plug and then the boots should also snap in the hole like a grommet. If they do not get a set of wires.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: January 15, 2018 06:58AM

If I can get the nuts undone and the studs are OK I might replace them with brass ones, they don't tend to corrode on then. I had to replace the full system on a Triumph once, 3 studs on the manifold, 2 were fine, one snapped.

I'll start soaking the nuts with some penetrating fluid I think. It'll be a while before the muffler fails completely.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2015 BMW 1 Series

Posted by: texasuk ()
Date: January 17, 2018 08:52PM

Pretty sure I've got a distributor cap, I'll have a look. I bet your hoses need replacing for a start, but my cold air heater works well, once the engine is warm.

But if you think you might want one, I've also got an original gas heater for one that I might sell. Cost a packet though.

1964 Monza Convertible - now sold :-(
1962 Greenbrier - Never to be sold :-)

Living in the UK

Posted by: texasuk ()
Date: January 20, 2018 01:23PM

I've got a cap if you want it? I think it is used, but in vgood nick.

1964 Monza Convertible - now sold :-(
1962 Greenbrier - Never to be sold :-)

Living in the UK

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 20, 2018 09:02PM

If the nuts are stuck heat them up red with a torch and they will come right off usually.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.