home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WTB Nice Solid LM Convertible body with shot Power Pack
Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: January 14, 2018 10:55AM

Hi, I'm hoping to install my motor / power pack into a good bodied LM convertible car.

[corvaircenter.com]

All leads welcome.

thanks in advance

needpart

Dan Central MN

1966 Sport Coupe 140 3spd,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB Nice Solid LM Covertable body with shot Power Pack
Date: January 25, 2018 06:16AM

BUMP Still Looking

Dan Central MN

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 25, 2018 07:24AM

Are you looking for a nice car with a bad engine or a complete ground up restoration project (starting with a nice body)?

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 25, 2018 02:50PM

I recently learned of what is supposed to be a "Nice" 1965 Monza Convertible that is available local to me as I was a member of the now defunct Corsa of Baltimore.
I have contact information for anyone who might have a Serious interest in making an inquiry.
I do not know the individual or the vehicle but trust the source. Below is a modified cut and paste of the information I have minus names and contact information. I do not have any photo's or I would have posted them.

The owner was a long time member of CORSA of Baltimore. He no longer drives, but is doing OK at the ripe young age of 99!

The car is a 65 Monza convertible, 140/4 speed. The car was garage kept for many years, but has spent the last 3 years parked in a pole barn with a cover on it. The body, paint and interior still look to be perfect, but the convertible back window has yellowed in storage and there is a little mildew on the outer surface of the convertible top. The care is not butchered at all. It appears completely stock, except for a conversion to a dual master cylinder. It is maroon with a black interior and white top.

The son is selling the car. He is located in Ellicott City Maryland. The asking price is $10,000. The car has been started regularly during the past 3 years, but barely driven. Given the limited use, the fuel and brake systems might need some refreshing for the car to be roadworthy. Then again, it may be fine as is.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 02:52PM by Caraholic4life.

Date: January 25, 2018 07:46PM

Looking for a nice car with a bad engine/powerpack

Dan Central MN

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 25, 2018 08:12PM

Here is a thought.
Why not buy a NICE running car.
And keep your working Uni-Pack as a spare back-up, just-in-case?
OR, if your running Uni-Pack is special in some way that you have not told us of, swap out the other engine, and keep it as a spare!

I just think it will be easier to find an all-around good car than one that fits your description.

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: January 25, 2018 11:05PM

ConDan: You will likely need to search everywhere with a no stone unturned, complete search on at least a weekly basis of all the metropolitan areas of the GOLDEN WEST ARRID AREAS (e.g. Phoenix, San Diego, Southern Calif, LA, and elsewhere in California, Arizona, and Nevada)
You'll want to search CRAIGSLIST......just GOOGLE the city,state craiglist cars for every major city. Example: GOOGLE: phoenix, az craiglist cars
Then click on the listing for cars for sale by owners and once there Narrow the search by Entering corvair into the search .
You'll have to do this for every city about every four days, at least once per week because you want to spot them as soon as they show up on craigs. Once you see something that you might like,and seriously might consider-- try to get someone qualified preferably a corvaircenter member that resides near the vehicle to lay eyeballs on it and give a POS report or not-a-turd report. Whatever nominal cost that you might have to pay to get an expert professional to check it out before you decide whether to buy it WILL BE MONEY WELL SPENT.
Do not attempt to be a Cheapskate and try to buy a 2nd class POS just because that vehicle is priced $700 less than another much better car. This applies to the transport cost and distance also. They don't make replacement CORVAIR unibodies. Late Model Corvair Convertibles are still extremely LOW PRICED relative to other classic convertibles. Spend whatever you need to to obtain a nearly rust free example with a straight body and excellent paint.
If you and your wife want a specific exterior color, than keep searching until you find the COLOR that you want, but be prepared to pay more than you anticipated when such a car becomes available. Look at it this way, certain colors are more popular and one commodity that all of us of a certain age do not have enough of is TIME. I'm not trying to be negative in a doomsday, world is gonna end sort of way but many of us boomers in great health, do know that Time is no longer on our side and it is in fact more like Time Waits For No One. I do wish everyone continued good health and happiness and many many more seasons in the sun. Do it today because someday might never come given the game clock is in the fourth quarter. Adventure before dementia.

Good clean and straight, relatively rust free LM convertibles with decent paint are getting harder to locate because DEMAND for them has increased. There are still hundreds of them coming out of ESTATES as gramps dies at 96 or the family rids the thirty+ year collection that Uncle Joe has now that Joe at age 86 hasn't been able to drive for five years. Sometimes gramps or Joe might have owned a nice Corvair, but many times what gramps and Joe did own was multiple junk Corvairs with tons of rust and never roadworthy, needing everything mechanical..
You gotta weed through the POS junker rustbuckets just to find the one that is worth acquiring. Others might not agree but three or more trash-rust buckets does not equal one decent, nice Corvair convertible. If you enjoy a serious project, by all means go for it but do be aware that it will cost more than buying a "really good, rust free Corvair".
All old classic cars will have issues, no matter what the brand,marque,or model might be. Certain mechanical issues, and issues like replacement of the convertible top or replacement of the interior upholstery, might seem too costly but replacing/repairing those items are incredibly inexpensive relative to the cost of dealing with rust and body repair.

Search everywhere, talk to every club member, because somebody might know where that LM Vert is. You've got more folks searching for the very nice clean LM verts whether they are roadworthy or not. The roadworthy, mechanically sound LM verts with moderate rust are not seeing the same demand.

Here are just a few that are out there today. The Hollywood car is a POS in comparison to these others.
[phoenix.craigslist.org]

[phoenix.craigslist.org]

[sfbay.craigslist.org]

[losangeles.craigslist.org]

just examples of a few of what you'll find out there...

BE CERTAIN TO SEE THESE LINKS
[www.browndata.com]
[www.corvair-efi.com]
You'll want to budget for this substantial improvement in Corvair reliability and driveability!

All are in need of some work. Beware of anything with a 140hp engine or the 180hp turbo as these are far less reliable UNLESS built properly (REBUILT TO HIGHEST STANDARDS AS GENERALLY ACCEPTED TODAY USING THE BEST AVAILABLE COMPONENTS, MATERIALS, AND PROCEEDURES, not the crapmobile oem 1965 GM low quality standard) Poverty and shoestring overhauls on 140hp and 180hp turbo engines will be unreliable to the point that the car will become a "yard car", or will need to be towed off of the roadside. Dropped Valve seats are the curse of the 140hp.....what a POS the 140 is if not done to the highest standard of today and even then it isn't as solid as a properly done 110hp engine.
........So much to consider.....you say that it is nothing that time and money cannot solve......
Buy a good candidate and not something too far gone UNLESS you are great in both rust repair, paint and body work and automobile restorations.
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BEFORE CHECKING IT OUT THOROUGHLY!

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 25, 2018 11:26PM

63ConDan,
As you have now been shown, the CCF does not screen membership here.
Yes, we are an Equal Oportunity Forum.
We even allow raving lunatics to post here!
I drive 2, 140 powered Corvairs.
These cars are my DAILY drivers.
They are completely stock, and are original factory builds.
Yes, you just read that right.
50+ year-old engines that are driven to work and the grocery store and where ever else I need to go.
50+ year-old RUNNING, FACTORY BUILT, engines!
Not 50+ year-old parts, in rebuilt engines!
No EFI, or any other special trinkets.
Some people here are delusional and think that they alone know what is best for everyone else on the forum, but alas, they just don't know what they don't know!

But, you know that already since you have been around since 2011.
Good luck with your search!

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 26, 2018 04:06AM

I get calls from people that have good Corvairs with bad engines so it's certainly possible esecially if we all keep it in mind.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: toytron ()
Date: January 26, 2018 03:02PM

Jim, those calls that you get are they people looking to off load a car or are they looking to buy a motor from you?

Posted by: veverlove ()
Date: January 26, 2018 03:36PM

Does your search require the vehicle to be local? Also, approx. what would be your top $$ amount you want to spend? I ask, because I happen to have a '65 4-speed convertile that has an EM engine on the LM transaxle. It currently has no top, but the frame is good. Currently reg'd. in CA, where I live. Interior is white with green/primer body. Let me know if you're interested and we can talk turkey.

Attachments:

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 27, 2018 06:32AM

<<>>

They are usually calls from people looking for an engine. They might turn into someone looking to sell when they find out what rebuilding a Corvair engine costs. I just don't really follow up a lot of times as I'm not interested in buying any more Corvairs.
I'd like to have some engines running in my own Corvairs available for purchase but I can't seem to catch up. I sold the 63 102 engine out of my 61 4-door and there it sits... Same with the 65 110 out of my wife's car, please don't tell her.
A lot of times people think they need a rebuilt engine but what they have can be refreshed without "going in".
I don't have any specific examples offhand but good Corvairs with bad engines seem to be somewhat common.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 27, 2018 07:57AM

The Corvair listed above in the Craigslist SFBay area would be a non starter for someone looking for a "rust free" car, because it has the typical rust problem as seen in so many late model Corvairs. Once you see the bottom of the front fender with rust pushing out, you can be assured that there is going to be rust in the cowl at the lower part of the windshield, and the door pillars. I also had been looking for a rust free late model to use as a platform for rebuilding a 1966 Monza that I presently have been storing for over 20 years, without much success. I probably could have found one already, had I put a concerted effort into finding one, but I limited my search to the Northeast. I believe that they are still out there, but the cost is going to be high, but not as high as trying to bring a rusted car back to being a solid car. I suggest that you look at some rusted late model cars, to familiarize yourself with the typical rust areas, so you will know where to check when you finally find the car that you are thinking of purchasing. The more familiar you are to the problem areas, the better your chances of not falling in love with a car that looks great, but has lots of unpleasant surprises waiting to be uncovered after you make your purchase. My quick check has always been to pull back the front carpet at the top, and look at the upper floor for rust stains. If I find evidence of rust stains, then I know that the cowl at the lower windshield pinch weld is going to need immediate attention. This alone, is a difficult repair to do correctly, especially if you have never done one before.
Here is the picture of the rust that definitely, in my opinion, disqualify a car as a good candidate for purchase.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 27, 2018 07:59AM

Sadly the cost of "redoing" a car body is far more than rebuilding an engine..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 27, 2018 09:56AM

One for sale on the all-Corvair's listing here.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: January 27, 2018 09:59AM

Bob.. how about a link?

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 28, 2018 10:41AM

For Sale. NOT MINE.

[desmoines.craigslist.org]

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: January 28, 2018 11:03AM

It's funny it says 'rust free bumpers', I'd rather have a rust free car without bumpers. May still be worth it for parts maybe.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: January 28, 2018 06:34PM

[phoenix.craigslist.org]

This red car in Phoenix is the kind of car, at least car body condition wise I have in mind, just would want a shot motor/power pack. But something in this condition would work well.

And although no report from anyone that could looked at it but from what I can gather from the CL ad I think the car in Hollywood has potential
[losangeles.craigslist.org].

Again thank you all for the input.

Dan Central MN

Re: WTB Nice Solid LM Convertible body with shot Power Pack
Date: January 28, 2018 10:34PM

[www.facebook.com]

georgia $600

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.