Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
opinions on what to do (1960 rear decklid)
Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:31PM

it appears that at some point a PO of my car used body filler on the decklid. for whatever reason it is around all the louvers. the filler is beginning to crack and lift around almost every single louver.

i believe the only way to fix this is to have the lid blasted. my fear is that it is going to uncover some sort of ugliness that led for the louvers to be worked in the first place.

is it worth it to pay for the blasting and find out or just search for a new decklid?
this one is currently slightly bent where i believe someone tried to close it without unlocking the prop mechanism.

when i first bought my corvair people were literally giving parts away for them. nowadays thats not so much the case. so id rather work with what i got, but if its going to be a can of worms it may be the less frustrating decision to find a better condition one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: opinions on what to do (1960 rear decklid)
Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:35PM

I have 2 EM engine lids in my basement. Come get them. Free.

Rockingham, NC

1962 Greenbrier
65 110 4speed

Date: January 11, 2018 01:37PM

thank you for the offer, but i am in the los angeles area.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:42PM

Don't waste your time, get a good rust free used one.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:44PM

There are probably a lot of acceptable decklids out there, many will probably be within a price range you feel is acceptable and possibly close to you.

One thing that would be a BIG HELP to you in finding the part you seek would be letting people know approximately where you are located.

Quite often if someone local to you reads your post, they may be more likely to respond than if they have no clue as to where you are geographically.

If you could find a part for a fair price before spending funds to strip the existing potentially suspect decklid, it might make sense to simply purchase a replacement rather than spent the money to find out it's condition and potentially more to replace it. Just a thought.

Note: Wow, there were no replies when I started my reply, now look. That was quick HUH.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 01:46PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: January 11, 2018 01:58PM

The rear decklid on a 1960 is unique to all other early model Corvairs. The reason for this is because the spare tire on a '60 was stored in the front trunk. When the 1961 models came out with the spare moved into the engine compartment, the louvres on the outside panel were modified as well as the shape of the inside panel to make room for the tire. Of course any early deck lid will fit if you carry your spare up front. Another interesting fact is that at the very end of the 1960 production run GM ran out of 1960-unique outer panels. They had the 1961 pieces ready to go and they still had enough 1960-style inner panels. What did they do? They used 1960 inners attached to the new 1961 outers. If you have a late Willow Run 1960 (first week of August - code = 08A) you might just have one of these hybrid bits.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: January 12, 2018 05:49AM

I wouldn't waste money trying to find out how much condo is there. There must be enough lids around the US to replace it>

(well, down here I wouldn't have much choice.)

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: January 12, 2018 08:38AM

thank you for the opinions fellas.
since i dont run a spare tire (AAA) i suppose any EM lid will do.
are all EM decklids the same as far as mounting, sealing, cushioning bosses?

i do recall some EMs that ive seen having the louvers bent in a circular pattern when looking from atop. is it very noticeable in the final fit and finish of the car? since mine is a custom with shaved everything i am looking for as smooth and streamlined of a look as possible.

ill have to find my id plate, but if memory serves me correctly my monza was either built in march or may of 1960 and has the correct 1960 style rear decklid.

so does anyone local have a nice clean decklid for me?

btw i finally got around to fixing my signature. it only took 9 years of being a member. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 12, 2018 09:29AM

L.A. CA. is a BIG place with three clubs.

I'd suggest you contact each club to see if someone has a spare EM engine lid.

Jeff out at Calif. Corvairs also has some body parts.

Davemotohead north of L.A. around Palmdale has some sheet metal also.

Trunk and engine lids are usually pricey to get blasted since it takes time to makes sure the metal isn't overheated and warped.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: January 12, 2018 10:22AM

LA,Ca your living in the promised land, likely hundreds of rust free lids to be bought there.

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 12, 2018 10:53AM

Boosted60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> btw i finally got around to fixing my signature.
> it only took 9 years of being a member. eye rolling smiley

===========================================================

Where is it? In Control Center....Options.....Forum settings...

"Add my signature to this message" checked by default: YES

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: WCcorsa ()
Date: January 12, 2018 03:17PM

I don't think finding a deck lid in LA is the issue.

Based on his comments it seems actually paying for one is the obstacle.

Date: January 15, 2018 09:33AM

WCcorsa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think finding a deck lid in LA is the
> issue.
>
> Based on his comments it seems actually paying for
> one is the obstacle.

thats kind of a dick comment if you ask me.

i dont see anywhere in either of my posts where i asked for a handout. i know corvair folks are notorious for being cheapos, so i can understand why you made your assumption. i made this thread asking for advice so i dont waste money doing something redundant.

its a project that only gets worked on in my spare time, so im not in dire need of one right away. but it doesnt hurt to put feelers out there to see whats available.
i didnt think about consulting the local clubs, thats a good idea. ive only been looking on craigslist and ebay for a local one till now.

Shant Yazijian
Pasadena, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.