home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - 2009 Cadillac CTS issue
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: January 12, 2018 06:22PM

Bummer!

sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 06:24PM by rnch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bobg1951chevy ()
Date: January 12, 2018 11:58PM

Because a battery is 8 months old is no guarantee that the battery is "good".

Bob G., Hendersonville, NC

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. Purchased in 2000.

1969 Corvair 500 Coupe. # 2671. Purchased in 2017.

Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: January 13, 2018 07:20AM

I bet it was flooded and/or you got some bad fuel. Fuel smell in the garage supports this theory. Fuel injected cars are less likely to flood but they aren’t totally immune, especially in cold or rapidly changing temperatures. If the car sat for a bit and the temperature changed thenmoisture in the tank would gather at the bottom. If the car didn’t start the first time, when you re-key it you get another shot of fuel (Like a choke) this can fuel foul the plug. Sitting for a bit partially resolved this problem and it ultimately started.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. I suspect it was an anomaly. It was mentioned before that Either it won’t happen again or it will get worse. Taking it to a mechanic now will likely be an exercise in frustration for both parties.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 13, 2018 10:29AM

Cars act differently in real cold weather. Especially if the real cold weather is not a common occurence. I see a lot of problems with cheap(er) batteries being installed in cars. I am no fan of duralast (parts store "mechanics" install them free) or aaa roadside batteries. Sears die hards were also junk IMO but I haven't seen one of them in quite awhile. I suggest a wait and see approach and perhaps this will be forgotten soon.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 13, 2018 07:26PM

Tim, remember there are only 3 manufacturers* of lead acid batteries around this country of any size. East Penn is a fourth, they are Deka, very small. Every manufacturer makes most of the labels you see, i.e. a name brand can be sourced from more than one manufacturer.

Check out this list and see how many manufacturers make Interstate labeled batteries!

[jgdarden.com]

* Exide, Johnson Controls & EnerSys

[investingnews.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.