home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Car Covers
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 10, 2018 09:31PM

I just read about this website on another forum, and they got a glowing recommendation from one of that websites members. He also pointed out that they are having a 50% off sale on all of their covers, that will be ending in 3 days. The top of the line cover for a EM Corvair is $150, which includes free shipping, and a "gift" of some other items that they normally sell in addition to the covers.
carcovers.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car Covers
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: January 11, 2018 06:28AM

junkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just read about this website on another forum...

So you didn't like this glowing car cover recommendation from jimc? smiling smiley

4th post in this thread from Dec 20th.

[corvaircenter.com]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 4dr 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4dr EJ20T w/5-speed
66 500 4dr 110 3-speed Display Vehicle

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 11, 2018 06:50AM

Has nothing to do with his post. This is just another choice, since the cover that he recommended, doesn't fit all cars. Many here own more than just Corvairs, and Corvair sized vehicles. I have 14 cars, and they range in sizes from Corvair (16 feet) to my Cadillac's that are just shy of 22 feet. I also have a full sized 1962 Chevrolet, that his recommended cover will not fit.

This part is not compatible with 1962 Chevrolet Impala Base Wagon 4-Door 5.3L 5358CC 327Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated.

Why is almost every post on this website so contentious? Have a good day, and enjoy the rest of your lives! I've gotten the hint.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: January 11, 2018 07:56AM

junkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is almost every post on this website so
> contentious? Have a good day, and enjoy the rest
> of your lives! I've gotten the hint.

junkman,

What hint? I put a smiley face after the sentence and besides, how could I even know if you ever saw that thread from Dec 20th?

Excuse me for recalling that someone posted a positive recommendation for a car cover and then sharing it in your thread. I thought I was doing you a favor, not attempting to drive you away.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 4dr 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4dr EJ20T w/5-speed
66 500 4dr 110 3-speed Display Vehicle

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: January 11, 2018 10:17AM

Junkman.

How could any frugal Corvair guy/gal not appreciate a $50 car cover, whether it is 9, 99 or 101 layers?winking smileywinking smiley

Seriously, look for 3M or Kimberly Clark raw materials used in construction.

The $50 cover I purchased and posted about had good tight stitching and the fit my Corsa very well, with the elastic skirt that does not touch the ground and has eyelets for a cable and lock system. Certainly this cover fits other compact cars as well, but the roof line is not baggy or otherwise ill fitting. I only had to cut and sew a patch for my factory rear antenna.

Previous contentious humor intended or otherwise, I would suggest that a one size fits all car cover may not be a good idea for the following reasons, both experienced and my opinions.

- A generic car cover that fits a Cadillac will be too large for a Corvair, even with elastic skirt, and will likely drap over the Vair like a bad fitting suit or blanket and touch the floor, as did my first ill-fitting generic cover. The fact the "cover or blanket" touches the garage it may become dirty/wet and when the cover is handled and will likely transfer those "dirt particles" to your paint and damage it.

- This same loose fitting "cover" can allow climbing access for rodents to the car and/or it's interior. Azdave may have more problems with scorpions than mice as we do here in Midwest, but the problem is real.

A true story. I sold my '83 911 SC convertible to my best friend several years ago. a three year old restoration. He stored it in a unheated garage, but placed a blanket over it, a very BIG blanket which touched the floor. Silly, as he did not tie up the cover off the floor and did not place rodent traps around it or better yet "bagged the car". During the winter mice climbed the blanket, ate the newer Haartz convertible top and somehow accessed the interior (windows rolled up) and nested.

- If your car is stored outside, a too large generic car cover will move around in the wind and may allow debris to become lodged under your cover and cause paint damage vs. a tighter fitting cover.

Good luck on your search.

Regards.

Jimc
1965 Corsa

HACOA member
AACA 2015 Award
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.