Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Silly Tuned Header and Reverse Engine Firing Order questions
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: January 10, 2018 04:01AM

If tuned headers are designed to provide the best performance, based on engine size and/or firing order.

What would happen (If anything) when you use them on a Reverse engine?

Never have built or owned a reverse engine before.

When one has a reverse engine - does it use the standard firing order in reverse or do you rearrange the wires too?
In other words what is the NEW "reverse" firing order?

Thank you,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Silly Tuned Header and Reverse Engine Firing Order questions
Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 10, 2018 05:51AM

Reverse rotation is the same firing order just goes in the opposite direction ??? Header tube size is determined by the size of the exhaust valve and port, that being said a bigger motor usually has bigger valves. Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Silly Tuned Header and Reverse Engine Firing Order questions
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: January 10, 2018 09:44AM

v8vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reverse rotation is the same firing order just goes in the opposite direction ???

That would mean the new firing order would be: 1-6-3-2-5-4. Please correct me if I am wrong.


> Header tube size is determined by the size of the exhaust valve and port, that being said a bigger motor usually has bigger valves. Mike

I understand the size part of things and I might be over thinking this...
With the above being true - The standard Firing order is: 1-4-5-2-3-6
The Reversed (If I'm understanding you correctly) would now be: 1-6-3-2-5-4
What I was asking or trying to ask was: Does it really make a any kind of difference in the length and shape of each run for true "TUNED HEADERS" if they were made for a standard firing order vs a reverse?

Mike, Thank you for the help.

Tony
(Ottawa Area - Canada)

(1) Marie's 1962 Convertible and our 1966 Ultravan #248 (aka Itchy Feet - Long Restoration)
(2) Our 1963 Rampside (Sold 2014) and 1967 Ultravan #256 at Upper Canada Valley car show in 2009.
(UV256 aak Itchy Feet II - corvair power plant came out 2012 - plans with donor for a GM 3.8L FWD conversion, as a gas pusher, in the back of UV256)
(3 & 4) Are some of our 11 Corvair parts cars - to help keep our stuff on the road - hopefully as long as we live. ;-)
(5) Is one of our Wayne 100 boats (Corvair powered) SOLD - August 2018
(6) Nov 14, 2012 Ultravans #362 and #512 arrived. We are getting closer to our goal of having an Ultravan museum.
We now own; UV248, UV256, UV362, UV512, and UV520 will hopefully be here July 2013.
(7) I saved Ultravan #231 from the scarp yard this year. It arrived May 9, 2013 and I plan to flip this one with a mid-engine Subaru power plant.






Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 09:48AM by OttawaCorvairGuy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Silly Tuned Header and Reverse Engine Firing Order questions
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 10, 2018 11:34AM

Tony, "Tuned" Tubing size, Length and collector diameter / Length are almost impossible to fully achieve in our cars... space!

As far as Firing order..... you are thinking of "180 degree headers" on a V8?

Once again almost impossible on our Vair engines....space.. ground clearance.





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Silly Tuned Header and Reverse Engine Firing Order questions
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: January 10, 2018 02:07PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tony, "Tuned" Tubing size, Length and collector
> diameter / Length are almost impossible to fully
> achieve in our cars... space!
>
> As far as Firing order..... you are thinking of
> "180 degree headers" on a V8?
>
> Once again almost impossible on our Vair
> engines....space.. ground clearance.

Matt,

Space not an issue! I'm ONLY using the Corvair engine. It is NOT going into a Corvair car.

(Like I said before - I might be over thinking this too much)
Would the performance gained from tuned headers be lost when reversing the firing order - making it a reverse engine setup?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Silly Tuned Header and Reverse Engine Firing Order questions
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 10, 2018 02:16PM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Space not an issue! I'm ONLY using the Corvair
> engine. It is NOT going into a Corvair car.
============================================================

Then it's dyno time to get anything better than what's already out there..

Firing order makes no difference with the common header designs we already have.





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Silly Tuned Header and Reverse Engine Firing Order questions
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: January 11, 2018 04:54AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Space not an issue! I'm ONLY using the Corvair
> > engine. It is NOT going into a Corvair car.
> ==================================================
> ==========
>
> Then it's dyno time to get anything better than
> what's already out there..
>
> Firing order makes no difference with the common
> header designs we already have.


I didn't think so - but my head was taking me down and different road. Grin

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.