Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Curious - Does anyone know more of the early story on Carl Sagan's Spyder?
Date: January 08, 2018 10:16PM

We are blessed to know that Dennis Dorogi* was dedicated to the restoration of the Palomar Red 1964 "Sagan Spyder" that was discovered quite by accident by Dennis' son Mark in Ithaca, NY - home of Cornell University, who employed a certain scientist "Carl Sagan" who became the director of the Laboratory for Planetary Studies there.
Prior, from 1963-1968, He had been an assistant professor at Harvard and worked at Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, so he "must" have bought the Corvair Spyder Convertible while in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
This info is documented in the CORSA Communique as well as this mirror article at Hemmings - "Cosmic Provenance". <- well detailed story about the rescue and revival. Great photos, of the Spyder and of Dennis.

Sagan was "at home" at Cornell, but I'm wondering about more of the details in Cambridge - what drew Carl to the Corvair, what dealer did he buy it from, what adventures did he enjoy in his Spyder while living the dream...

He was also an early consultant to NASA, specifically working with the astronauts - was he influenced by their connection to Chevrolet "promotions" with the sport models of Corvette and Corvair? .... inquiring minds......

I've enjoyed the COSMOS series on the old tube and have the original book and VHS, but I've recently found a Blu-Ray of the series. Looking forward to watching this great series all over again in the 21st Century!

* Dennis David Dorogi obituary - a great life!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.