home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Need horn help with aftermarket steering wheel
Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: January 07, 2018 08:45PM

I have a Superior Performance Products "The 500" steering wheel which came with my car. After having replaced the turn signal switch, I am trying to get the steering wheel back in place, but at having trouble getting the horn to work. The electricity is flowing properly through the contact point which is shown below coming through the steering wheel at about the 2 o'clock position. If I touch it and the center nut the horn operates as it should.

The second photo shows the contact ring which appears to have a nonconductive black side and the metal side as shown in the picture. The contact point slides freely in its slot through this piece when the piece moves up and down along the three bolts holding it in position.

The final picture shows the horn button and spring, which is hot glued to the center of the horn button with good metal contact. However, after pushing the horn button in place where it firmly holds onto the contact ring, the horn is still not operating. I don't see how the short contact point ever comes into contact with other metal as it appears to be too short to touch the horn button when depressed.

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to properly resolve this issue.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana
Fitch Sprint (in progress)
'66 Monza convertible with EFI
thomas.ratliff@indwes.edu

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need horn help with aftermarket steering wheel
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 09, 2018 04:03PM

I seem to remember one I had many years ago, that the horn contact pin that goes through the steering wheel was much longer. It protruded high enough to contact the horn button when depressed.
Yours looks shorter to me, in the photo. Is it upside down?

also... are the 3 mounting bolt heads too tall to allow contact? Are they the ones that came out when you disassembled?

Corventure Dave

Date: January 09, 2018 04:57PM

Corventure Dave, yeah, that little pin sure seems too short, doesn't it? I pulled it back out as shown below. The much longer lower prong extends by the internal spring down deep to reach the inner contact point, but the part that sticks out at the top is indeed really short. It's at least 1/4 inch too short to have any hope of making contact with the horn button. But that is as high as the pin goes. The plastic surround appears to only go in one way, so I don't think it is upside down. That was a good question though.

Yes, those three mounting bolts are the ones that came out when I disassembled, so in theory they should be fine. But I don't have an explanation as to why the pin sticking out the top is shorter than them. Being internally spring loaded it seems really logical that it could have been longer. I'm guessing I'm missing something obvious here but don't know what.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 09, 2018 04:58PM

Dave makes a point - the contact plunger doesn't look correct.

I've seen some after market wheels with the GM type contact plunger, but it had a wire and terminal on the top that connected to the horn button. The chrome horn button should be insulated until you push it down.

You didn't mention if the horn worked BEFORE you took the wheel off.

Date: January 09, 2018 05:01PM

Oops, my pictures didn't come through on the first try. Hopefully they will this time. Yes, I believe the horn worked before... although it has been long enough since the disassembly that I'm starting to question myself about that now.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana

Attachments:

Posted by: monza67 ()
Date: January 09, 2018 05:36PM

I believe your plate in your first post is upside down and turned. I believe the bump on the plate is supposed to hit the plunger when you depress the button. The spring on the buttons hold the plate away from the plunger and the bump on it hits the plunger when you depress the button.
Chuck P.
Davenport, IA

Re: Need horn help with aftermarket steering wheel-Now it Works!
Date: January 09, 2018 07:22PM

Chuck, YOU'RE RIGHT! And now I have a working horn! Thanks, and thanks to you too Dave, 66vairman and Mel for your thoughtful comments and a bump.

Now, I'm wondering why that plate has exactly the right size and shape of notch cut into it for the horn pin to run through since the plate was supposed to sit upside down with that notch sitting aimlessly on the bottom doing nothing. Perhaps the plate was used for multiple different horns and sometimes the horn pin goes through and sometimes (like my setup) it does not. I don't know. Just really grateful that I have a working horn again!

Thanks!

P.S. Chuck, I installed those corner vent windows I bought from you this summer in my car last week. They look great.

Thomas Ratliff
Marion, Indiana

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.