home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
About to join the fam!
Posted by: 6vair4 ()
Date: January 07, 2018 03:23PM

Howdy all,

I figured I'd officially introduce myself. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a pretty clean '64. The car was never driven in the winter. And not much rain. So from what I was told the car never had much if any rust issues.

I think they re-did the under coating becuase it was already apart and easy to do it.

Engine was rebuilt by the previous owner. Rear axles and a few other parts in spring of '17.

I haven't seen the car up close yet (will be doing that in the next week or so). I'm about 99.9% a go on it however.

Just thought I'd come on here and get some suggestions prior. Also, ask y'all what a good ball park price is for for clean, restored vair?

He's willing to let it go for 7,000.

I've only ever dealt with standard pushrod engines. However I look forward to learning about spinning wrenches on an aircooled motor. Been a small block guy forever.

I'll try to attach some pics of her. Gotta shink em doww. Ha Looking forward to the future friendships

Best,
KT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: About to join the fam!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 07, 2018 03:31PM

Welcome to the CCF.... Yup we'll need pics to give an assessment... also what area are you in?.. that makes a big difference...

Download and print out the "Pre- Buy Checklist" to take with you.. and take pics then.... of any BAD areas you find..

From a STICKY FAQ's

[autoxer.skiblack.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 65CrownV8 ()
Date: January 07, 2018 04:04PM

KT,

Welcome, and a word or two of advice:
1) Find a local club. Your most valuable resource.
2) If you haven't committed yet, find a member of the local club with extensive knowledge and take them with you to finalize the deal. They will likely be able to point out any problem areas you may not be familiar with, and give you a better position to negotiate from.
3) Consider joining CORSA, the national organization (www.corvair.org)

Hope the car is as advertised, and I guarantee you will have a blast driving the wheels of it.

George Jones - East Orlando, FL
'65 Monza V8 Convertible - 355/4-spd Posi
'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG
'67 Monza Coupe 140/4-spd/Posi, A/C
COrvaiR Society of America (CORSA), Central Florida Corvair Club, Tidewater Corvair Club, V8 Registry

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 07, 2018 05:02PM

Welcome!

If you examine a SBC, like a 283, you will see similarity in parts to the Corvair engine! Just drop two cylinders and spread the V apart to 180 °. Just no water to deal with, but more places to leak oil!grinning smiley

Yes, get another Corvair guy to go look at the car. Model/body style makes a difference in value. What was done for "rebuild" of the engine varies in value.

And mostly, where are you located? Location also effects value.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: January 07, 2018 05:54PM

Thanks for the replies Matt, 65 and Frank. Car is located in Utah. It's been a strickly nice weather car for the last 4 years (since resto was completed). Car show/Cruise Nights only. Before that it wasn't the guys daily but driven a little more regularly.

I tried a new photo host program, we'll see if it works... I'm not the smartest with computer stuff and I did it on my phone haha.

[ibb.co]

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 07, 2018 06:16PM

Looks great!! But they all do in others pictures!! gg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 07, 2018 06:38PM

Welcome to CCF. Is the car in SLC area? There is a club in that area. If you cannot find contacts send me a PM and I will provide you with name and number to help.

I hope the car lives up to the description.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: January 07, 2018 06:57PM

Very true Matt, gotta love the "20 footers" ha

That would be great Steve! I know the seller, worked with him a few years ago. However we moved out of state before he finished the restoration.

I no longer live there but we have family in the state. We didn't make it home for Christmas. So we were planning on taking the trip at the end of January.

I'd love for a contact there, maybe they know the car or of it and could give me a little insight. He is more than willing to allow someone to drive it and video the car for me. So, that might be an option too.

Thanks for the reply.

KT

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 07, 2018 09:36PM

Condition, condition, condition. 7 might be a good deal or it might not be. Tell us about this "rebuilt" engine. I have known people to put in gaskets, seals, rebuild carbs, and paint the shrouds and call it rebuilt. or new rings, rod bearings, and a valve job and then call it "new".
WELCOME to the fun. I am next door in Durango Colorado.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 08, 2018 07:38AM

Hello all: I wanted to post this on the forum for all to see, the fellow
in Bonneville club I was going to contact has a disconnected phone. I left
a voice mail on another club members phone but I think my offer to help
is drying up. If any SLC folks are reading this how about helping the
OP with his quest.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: January 08, 2018 08:23AM

Timothy,
Not much info on the extent of the rebuild. The current seller said the guy he bought it from did the rebuild. So, I'm looking at it as if it was just an external freshen (current owner has recipts for parts replaced). Generator was rebuilt by SLC electric. Did the carbs, all fuel related items. Car itself has 70K.

Sorry, I wish I had more info than that. I just don't know if 7K is a resonable price. I know the car was stripped down to bare metal and then resprayed so I'm confident in the restoration work perfomed by Joe (current seller).

Just don't want to get caught up and "wowed" by fresh paint and interior and over pay.

KT

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: January 08, 2018 11:55AM

Just my opinion, but I've seen nicer EM coupes sell for less $. That's a pretty "common" Corvair, and they aren't particularly valuable.

One thing that bugs me is the incorrect seat upholstery.

On the positive side, you know the seller, and trust him. I'm curious, how much searching/cost comparison have you done?

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 08, 2018 12:15PM

Your title says, . . . . "About to join the Fam!"

You have joined the forum, so you are already part of the Fam.

Now you just have to decide if you want to, . . . . .

Get infected,

or

Get inoculated.

The Corvair bug is extremely VIRAL, are you sure you want to catch it?

You CAN'T own just one ! ! !

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: afvair ()
Date: January 08, 2018 06:21PM

Hello 64vair4,

I used to be in the Bonneville Club in Salt Lake City, but have recently moved and am to far away to participate. Here is the phone number of an active member by the name of Don Young, call 801-266-0284. He is a late model guy but would know who in the club could help you out with knowing about what price would be right for your 64. He may even know about the car and could give you more information. By the looks of your picture looks like a nice car, but a personal look would tell you ALOT more.

Wayne Broadhead

Wayne
Lehi, Utah
BCC - Bonneville Corvair Club
CORSA
1965 turbo vert, finally done

Date: January 08, 2018 07:11PM

Thank you Wayne. I appreciate your help sir. I've been getting that same gut feeling that I'm over paying at 7K.

Not that I don't think he has that invested and then some. Just looking I'm seeing certs and LM along with EM Turbo's for not much more.

Again condition I know will vary a bunch with the other ones. So that is aying into it too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.