home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Oil Pan Gasket Sealing
Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: January 08, 2018 05:40PM

The none thing you have to remember is get the best oil pan gasket. Do not use the rubber one as most people tightened them too tight and they squish out and leak. I sell a composite gasket that is good for both the regular and aluminum pans. I sell them for $10 each plus shipping. Just ask the racers as they buy a lot of them.
John Sweet
John's Corvair Parts

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: January 08, 2018 06:17PM

Good info Ken. Also timely since I need to reseal the oil pan on my lo-miles 62 Monza.

Thanks!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: REM654DPG ()
Date: January 08, 2018 06:52PM

I’m with John Sweet that the quality of a gasket makes all the difference. Any gasket that can deform, distort, squish or move is not a good gasket in my opinion and I would avoid using them. That does not mean you can’t make them work as many have done or that they are worthless but just because something is functional does not necessarily make it a good product. In the long run we’re all looking for quality, longevity and good value. A gasket that does not distort and is rigid stays that way and allows the bolt to torque. This is how the original GM gasket was made and it was only .030 thick. Of course I’m an advocate of using Ultra Copper or Black High temp silicone in moderation to add the extra seal. My approach has always been to install a gasket with the intention of it being permanent which sucks when you screw something up but it’s a positive forever seal when it’s done. This is just my opinion and I am not saying that Ken’s way is not good because we can see it does work well. This is just what works good for me.
I appreciate your gaskets John and have used them on all my engines since I discovered them so thank you for the quality products.

Regan Metcalf
Portland Oregon

Attachments:
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 09, 2018 09:18AM

Similar to what Ken does.

I use new longer pan bolts using both the lock and flat washers with the thicker gasket. Make sure pan bolts are not too long.

I put on nitrile gloves and cover the pan gasket with a THIN layer of RTV.

Assemble and tighten so gasket is NOT squeezed out and let RTV cure, then retighten.

So far so good.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.