home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Alternate carb choices?
Posted by: mmak116 ()
Date: January 07, 2018 11:18AM

From what I read, angle ports and headers will not allow you to retain the deforgger and heat function from the heater box.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 07, 2018 11:29AM

Actuall it can be done.... they do it with regular ports and headers....

But after Mike's tests... not worth the cost!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: January 07, 2018 11:48AM

What slant ports gain you, when done right, is headers that seal.

Carb wise, run either a set of rochesters bored out 1/18" or Toms 2barrel Weber setup.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 07, 2018 07:09PM

My second set of heads have the flanges welded to the stock tubes so the headers fit both motors.

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 07, 2018 07:22PM

I have a set of the Offy logs I’ve modified, there’s not a left and right so the left side Carb will be 180 degrees from the right. Mine now have both Carb pads so the jets are to the rear and the floats pivot correctly.These raise the roof of the log to help the flow to the outer ports. There was a reason these were made,The Development work done by Bill Thomas some how over the years has been set aside, Tom Knoblock is the only one I know of that realizes how BT was ahead of the game !

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: January 07, 2018 08:51PM

Given that the calendar reads 2018, and there is so much out there in webland on the practical application of adapting EFI, you'll have to be an idiot, not to consider EFI as the best route. My opinion is that you will be making a huge mistake in both spending your money and time on a carburettor solution to the not so good Rochester HV's. Yes, potentially, you could get something slightly better than stock with an alternative carburetor set up, but you will not come close to the reliable performance that an EFI set up will give you.
The choice is yours. Go backwards or actually go in the direction that will give you the best possible Corvair! Stop the madness! Forget carbs! Choosing to go with carbs is like choosing to play golf with wooden shafted clubs much like how they did it in 1930 and in the Twenties. Yes, it can be done, as there are small groups of folks who organize and plan and play such events and tournaments with hickory shafted sticks. Those folks are a small minority on par with the folks who take Sunday drives with antique cars that require hand cranking to start them.
Consider that there is now a tremendous amount of practical knowledge on the web and in classic automobile forums, etc on how to EFI for beyond dummies.... that it would be foolish not to consider EFI as the best and most cost effective solution.

Posted by: Shaker455 ()
Date: January 07, 2018 09:08PM

Carbs will be around as long as there is old cars and people who enjoy them.
That being said and this being 2018 we are not short sighted.
Tom has a long history with EFI and currently offers weber looking throttle bodies that are in fact EFI for those who want it smiling smiley
Happy motoring

Jeff
Granite State NH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 09:09PM by Shaker455.

Posted by: tknobby ()
Date: January 08, 2018 12:27PM

I have, or had, 44MM 2bbl Webers on my 65 Monza 95hp PG. With my Tribute heads and a hotrod cam from Crower. Certainly no longer a 95! I'm converting to a pair of Weber look alike throttle bodies that replace exactly the IDF Webers. I'll control the fuel and ignition systems with my trusty Microsquirt ecu. I've gotten a very good handle on tuning these little guys. I'll post pictures soon. But now is the silly season and race heads are badly needed. So... my stuff will sit.

T...

Tom Knoblauch
San Antonio, TX
AmericanFlat6.com

'64 Spyder Vert Big Valve heads, EFI, Custom roller cam, front disc brakes on 2" dropped spindles
'65 Vert 95 EFI 4spd
'65 Monza Coupe 95 w/ Thomas Tribute 110 heads, 2 2bbl 40MM Webers, 140 exh tubes, 110 exh logs, PG w/ high stall Converter, 2" dropped spindles w/ 6 piston Wilwood calipers
'66 Monza Coupe 3.0L EFI 4spd
'68 Monza Coupe 140 3.0L EFI Slide Throttle 4spd
'63 Rampy 80hp w/ 102 Tribute 2 carb heads 4 spd, disc brakes on 2" dropped spindles

Posted by: yenkomark ()
Date: January 08, 2018 07:58PM

How about something different...6 Rochesters..less expensive than Webers. Lots of Weber style manifolds out there

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.