home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Survey of ignition type used?
Posted by: John Smith ()
Date: January 06, 2018 08:42AM

ROD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mallory unilite

interesting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gregb ()
Date: January 06, 2018 09:05AM

62 Spyder has a 16 year old Pertronix I with Flame Thrower coil, works great but I do carry a spare breaker plate with points just in case.

61 Lakewood has stock distributor and coil with points.

65 Corsa has stock setup with points. I tried the Pertronix I and II with the recommended coil and for some strange reason they both failed in a very short time.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 06, 2018 09:21AM

John Smith Wrote:
>
> one topic i haven't searched yet is dist gear
> reliability oiver the years..in my other 6
> cylinder dd i use thicker oil and that little
> shear pin has been known to fail...but that's
> another topic.

Do not know of the steel distributor drive gear (on distributor shaft) failing. Might be a couple cases of the roll pin failing, but I think it is very rare.

Clark's sells a replacement gear.

Bronze distributor drive gear on the crankshaft:

This gear can wear down and "fail". It takes many thousands of miles.

Speculation: The dual bearing distributor housing (ball bearing in top and normal bronze bearing in the bottom) could be a factor. A high volume oil pump may be another factor.

Clark's sells a repro bronze distributor drive gear.

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: January 06, 2018 09:36AM

Two bushing housing,points triggering MSD Box with MSD coil

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 06, 2018 09:36AM

For me, I feel it depends on how many miles you drive.
My Greenbrier is my high miler. I have over 360,000 miles on it now.

I gave up on points years ago because of the poor quality of points available.
NAPA had the best heavy duty points but stopped providing them.
Two issues: The point's frames were flimsy. Contacts moved around and are not consistent.
Second: The cheap plastic wear bar that rides on the distributor cam wears out long before the points contacts. As this wears, point gap or dwell changes. This creates much more ignition maintenance then back in the day of quality parts.

I still have a stash of the old quality New Echlin NAPA points sets, However I run the Pertronix "I" in all my Corvair's now. Pertronix is an easy simple upgrade.

However I believe my best advice is one of Seth's complete distributors, for maximum performance and reliability.

Corventure Dave

Date: January 06, 2018 09:37AM

John Smith Wrote:
> JimBrandberg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I purchased a supply of AC points, condensors
> > and rotors several years ago. Not sure how
> readily
> > available good points are these days, I guess
> I'll
> > find out this year sometime as my stock is
> running
> > low. I don't suppose they're $4 anymore.
> > CorvairRepair.com
>
> Now there is a man with vision..

Always have used AC Delco ignition parts - no points are not $4. anymore.

You can probably order them from a parts store that has access to a AC Delco warehouse.

But, parts stores seem to want to sell out of their own inventory nowadays.

The AC Delco parts are available thru Rock Auto.

But, you have to use the AC Delco Part Numbers. Actually, I just looked and the Rock Auto catalog now lists the AC Delco igniton parts - did not in the past.

For the stock concours people, the distributor cap may not be stock. I believe there used to be two distributor caps - one for Corvairs (62 - 69) and one for the other GM six cylinder motors of the era.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 06, 2018 10:46AM

There were several 6-cylinder GM caps used. 1963 through end of points usage for both the GM in-line and flat (Corvair) 6 used the same cap. (Corvair went to it in 1962) That is the Corvair cap we all know. The 90 degree GM V6 car motors, Buick, etc. were offshoots of the small V8s, so they used a modified V8 distributor. One of the mods was a variant of the same V8 cap that GM had used since 1957. They just adjusted it to 6-holes. This is the famous cap design that has the pull-up window in the side to allow adjustment of the point-gap (thus the dwell) while the engine is running. GM actually used a few different V6 Caps, before moving all their motors to the larger cap HEIs distributors, in 1973-4 (or so), depending on the model. Some had the integral Coil, some used an external coil. The OEM style cap that I have offered as an option for my distributor, was actually built for the 1966 Buick V6. Made by Standard Motor Products, it still has the window in the side. (So you can look at the magnetic pick-up?). The V8, and, therefore the V6 distributor is slightly larger in diameter than the Corvair distributor, and sometimes interferes with the top shroud. The "window" in the distributor cap has to be correctly oriented to avoid interference with the fan belt.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: January 06, 2018 11:54AM

Seth Emerson Wrote:
> 1963 through end of points usage for both the GM
> in-line and flat (Corvair) 6 used the same cap.
> (Corvair went to it in 1962) That is the Corvair
> cap we all know.

Do not agree.

I was sold an AC Delco dist cap (different Delco part number - D316R) in the 1970's (until ???) than the current D323R.

My feeble memory is that one cap was taller than the other - for what reason I have no clue.

The cross reference (Rock Auto) for the Standard distributor cap includes both AC Delco Part Numbers.

Date: January 06, 2018 12:06PM

The tower heights may have changed, the inside chamber height cannot change. Delco has changed many things since OEM production. Example being the pathetic aluminum terminal cap now supplied. Only one cap was called out for the 62-69 cars through 1969. GM P/N 1971324 - I prefer the Standard Blue-streak cap. Nice Brass terminals and rugged (heavy) construction.

Seth Emerson

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: January 06, 2018 12:21PM

One (daily driver) running points and consenser. Other project car will be crank triggered mega squirt, custom job.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Date: January 06, 2018 02:38PM

Great comments on this thread today. From my own perspective, what I choose to use is based upon what I have confidence in, being able to maintain the system with readily available spare parts on hand and in my possession should I choose to take a road trip.

When things get more electronic and less mechanical, the risk of potential failure can go up imho.

Hence...spare parts. And the skill to replace a part on the road is to me quite a valuable consideration.

To drive a 50+ year old vehicle and not have to call the dealer for help is job one. Again imho

If I can’t have spares of a parts line, I will eliminate that line and find a solution with redundancy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2018 02:39PM by John Smith.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 06, 2018 04:48PM

There were a couple of other questions posed and one was plug wires, On all of my street cars I run the 8mm wires from Seth. I use different ones for the race car and Seth can correct me but I think the race wires are a lower ohm resistance and slightly larger OD.

As far as the distributor drive I have had one small roll pin fail on me while I was driving. This was a stock engine! I have never had the large roll pin fail nor have I ever had a distributor driven gear fail, I have had and seen the brass drive gear be almost failed. The two worst were with HV oil pumps. I have changed quite a few drive gears for excessive wear and I always look when the opportunity is there.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: January 06, 2018 06:09PM

From the late 70's to early 00's I put about 250,000 miles on various Corvairs, all with points, some with MSD Blaster when stock coils failed. I have had two Pertronics units that came with cars I bought fail--these were replaced with points or more robust electronic systems.

Summary of ignition systems in our current Corvairs:
1965 Greenbrier; Dale Mfg Chrysler magnetic distributor triggering an MSD-6 box, MSD Blaster coil, Seth's wires [my opinion the most reliable system]
1965 Monza (wife's); Seth's distributor & wires, MSD Blaster coil, engine wiring harness customized to make it "plug-in"
1967 500 (22k original); Stock points distributor, stock coil. Will soon replace wires with date code correct reproductions
1967 500 A/C (Project car); Planning to use Chrysler magnetic P/U, MSD box, Blaster coil, Seth's wires

[corvaircenter.com]

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

Date: January 06, 2018 06:37PM

A great approach++++

It seems that a modern set of 8mm set of wires is a given choice.

In my other world an ignition consisting of a magnetic crank trigger, a GM 4 pin module and an hei coil makes a good ignition. A good brass cap and rotor siting on a rotating shaft is all that’s left.

However you do with whatever parts combos please keep spares handy..

This kind of talk is not for purists of course..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2018 06:40PM by John Smith.

Date: January 06, 2018 09:12PM

Just a note to thank everyone for the input of ignition styles.

It seems like the original distributors are still in use for the most part either in a points install, or used as a base for Pertronix, or Crane trigger plates for many as well.

I noticed that Mallory is represented for a new distributor, as well as Seth’s Stinger being usable in different configurations.

Edis is here as well

Good wiring is available as well with special mention for Seth’s products.

I hope we will continue to be able to find quality usable spare parts to blend in with all of the above to keep these cars in use.

I for one want to be supportive of all who either makes or makes available good parts for our use.

If I left any name out of this please forgive me..I for one have really enjoyed everyone’s input...well wishes for all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2018 09:15PM by John Smith.

Date: January 07, 2018 11:37AM

Again, for reference, early low HP cars used a smaller diameter roll pin in the distributor drive gear. All others used a larger pin. (As does my distributor, and the Mallory.) That means you can install a new gear onto and older - but not really old, dist. I have never seen one of the larger ones shear. I suppose something non-compressible going into the oil pump might do it.

Seth Emerson

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: January 07, 2018 12:07PM

Seth,
I know you and I discussed this a few years ago but, i wish your distributor would work with Clarks A/C bracket..

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Date: January 07, 2018 12:49PM

Have you tried it with the Clarks 140 bracket? That kicks it up and should clear.

Seth Emerson

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 07, 2018 01:08PM

Looks like the drive pin diameter changed in 62 when GM switched to the later style dist. The upper pin remained the same as the 60-61units.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: January 07, 2018 05:02PM

Earlier this year, when I began supplying the new distributor gears to Clark's for use on OEM distributors, I told Mark that I had found some earlies (not 60-61 style, 62-up style) had the smaller pin. That was the first he had heard of it. When we talked later, he told me his distributor rebuild technician had confirmed that some early (62-63), low HP had the smaller pins. I am sure that someone on the forum that has rebuilt dozens of distributors would know.

Seth Emerson

Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.