Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
15" x 6" Stock Steel GM rims on a Greenbrier?
Posted by: 1963RedBrier ()
Date: January 05, 2018 09:16AM

So I found a set of four that the stock FC hubcap will fit, but I'm unsure what tire size to buy! Any help/recommendations/cautions?

I may consider 6 or 8-ply since my Greenbrier has a factory camper kit with a roof rack and is HEAVY! Thanks! Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 15" x 6" Stock Steel GM rims on a Greenbrier?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 05, 2018 10:37AM

You'll want an "LT" tire [ light truck ]with a load rating in the high 90's or more

205 or 215 / 75 R15

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 06, 2018 06:19AM

Hopefully you have the proper offset. Inner clearance on the front is an issue with the tie rod end rubbing the wheels. Outer clearaance on the rear is an issue with the tire hitting the body.
Everyone seems to be all jazzed up on wide tires these days but bigger is not necessarily better in my mind.
You're smart to go to 15" wheels, 14" tires are getting rare.
How do you get a stock FC 14" hubcap to fit a 15" wheel?
Rolling a baseball bat beween the tire and body for more clearance in the rear worked well on my Rampside.
Jim Brandberg

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 06, 2018 11:04AM

Go with what Matt said, look for "LT" most of them have a max pressure of 41 to 45, you can then adjust the pressure to your load.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: January 06, 2018 06:41PM

Hello Greg,

I have had 15X6 wheels on our 65 Greenbrier for over 12 years using 215/65R15 tires as these are very close to the stock 7.00-14 diameter and rolling diameter; ~800 rev/mile. These were a common size for minivans in the 90's. A slightly larger OD tire would be 205/70R15. I have been using standard load Cooper tires with good success. Both Nokian and Vredestein make load range C (6-ply) tires in these sizes if you really think you need them. Check out TiresByWeb.com.

Have you ever looked at the curb weight of modern minivans? These are heavy even compared to a Greenbrier with a camper kit.

[corvaircenter.com]

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.