Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: John Smith ()
Date: January 04, 2018 01:11PM

hi there, I'm beaking down a spare engine I bought from Craigslist. It is an RD stamped block. When I bought it the bell housing was off. I got it from a fella that had it as a spare for an aircraft project he was working on. Along with the motor which is locked up was a couple of PG late bell housings. I have so far found it lost an intake valve seat on #4 and the engine has sat for a while. The heads came off fairly easy though it would seam it mayu have been a part before.

The head #'s seem correct for a 65 manual motor. How an you determine what crank gear it has? Thanks for your patience for listening to what ma be a very simple question, but for me a search has not helped me figure out an answer.

JS

64 927 4spd 110..fighting rust.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 04, 2018 01:16PM

searched for " offset crank "







MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: John Smith ()
Date: January 04, 2018 01:27PM

John Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi there, I'm beaking down a spare engine I bought
> from Craigslist. It is an RD stamped block. When
> I bought it the bell housing was off. I got it
> from a fella that had it as a spare for an
> aircraft project he was working on. Along with
> the motor which is locked up was a couple of PG
> late bell housings. I have so far found it lost an
> intake valve seat on #4 and the engine has sat for
> a while. The heads came off fairly easy though it
> would seam it mayu have been a part before.
>
> The head #'s seem correct for a 65 manual motor.
> How an you determine what crank gear it has?
> Thanks for your patience for listening to what ma
> be a very simple question, but for me a search has
> not helped me figure out an answer.
>
> JS

there it is...thanks for the comeback so oon. So I guess when they put PG gears in the parts bins they mark them with a special 4degree nail polish?..interesting but logical. thanks for the good info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 04, 2018 01:32PM

Not a problem and it's now in our FAQ's... thought it already was! gg





MODERATOR
Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 04, 2018 02:46PM

If it has been in use on a PG engine, the crankshaft end will have a indentation mark.

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp


Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Date: January 04, 2018 03:24PM

The RD code is for a Manual Transmission 110hp engine.


Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: John Smith ()
Date: January 04, 2018 03:27PM

That’s an interesting looking crank gear. I haven’t had a Corvair pg separated since the late 70,s, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen that type of mating surface. Interesting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: John Smith ()
Date: January 04, 2018 03:32PM

1966-Corsa-GT-180 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The RD code is for a Manual Transmission 110hp
> engine.


I was aware of that but since I bought this engine apart with 2 pg bells, I was curious as to what a lm pg crank gear looked like to be sure. I have never had a lm pg engine apart, just manual shift motors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: January 04, 2018 03:46PM

Link to 2014 discussion which continued in 2016.

[corvaircenter.com]

Al Lane
Ellabell GA

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ HP PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
2015 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 Centennial Edition
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: John Smith ()
Date: January 04, 2018 04:18PM

John Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1966-Corsa-GT-180 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The RD code is for a Manual Transmission 110hp
> > engine.
>
>
> I was aware of that but since I bought this engine
> apart with 2 pg bells, I was curious as to what a
> lm pg crank gear looked like to be sure. I have
> never had a lm pg engine apart, just manual shift
> motors.

Interesting convo that. I recall only separating 1 EM powerglde. It’s Been too long to rememBer I guess.

At least thru this thread I have determined that my crankshaft is INDEED a manual shift crank and will be what I want to refresh for a spare block...

Thanks all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: January 04, 2018 04:37PM

> Interesting convo that. I recall only separating
> 1 EM powerglde. It’s Been too long to rememBer
> I guess.
>
> At least thru this thread I have determined that
> my crankshaft is INDEED a manual shift crank and
> will be what I want to refresh for a spare
> block...
>
> Thanks all.


A PG crank, in good shape, would be my choice for a rebuild, if all things were equal. my $.02

-m



Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 05, 2018 05:04AM

> A PG crank, in good shape, would be my choice for
> a rebuild, if all things were equal. my $.02
>
> -m
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree with an exception, The 140 PG crank has different cam timing and is not a good choice for all engines or cam selections!

The 140 PG crank is good to use only with the low HP cams like the -889, Isky 260, OT-10, my FC cam and anything similar. If you use this with a HP cam you will have NO low end torgue.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 05, 2018 05:19AM

The identifying mark that Al shows definitely shows that the crank has been used in the PG for quite a while BUT does not designate a 140 PG crank! That mark is the shape of the torque converter where it contacts the crank and will happen from vibration that normally occurs when the engine runs.

The only way to tell a PG 140 crank is to look at the crank gear through the bolt hole that lines up with the cam gear timing mark. If that tooth you see through the bolt hole is to the left then it is a 140 PG crank.

The other identifying thing is the whole crank will be hardened and generally identified on the gear end with an & stamped in the area that Al shows, you can take a knife and scrape it across a journal and it will not leave a mark, any other crank the knife will actually drag across the journal. DO NOT use a file!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: identifying marks for a PG crank gear
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 05, 2018 05:36AM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 140 PG crank is good to use only with the low
> HP cams like the -889, Isky 260, OT-10, my FC cam
> and anything similar.

So this crank gear used with one of these cams will move the torque peak up 500-1000 r.p.m., but still have more low end grunt than a 889 or a Isky 280 installed straight up? Just trying to get not the highest peak but the broadest power band.

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.