Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Front KONI shocks- need help with putting rubber bumpers on.
Posted by: LeadFootLogan ()
Date: December 31, 2017 03:22PM

I am currently building a 1965 Corsa, and I need help putting rubber bumpers on the shocks. The shocks came with 2 different bumpers. I don’t know where to put the rubber bumpers on the shocks. Could anyone post a picture of their suspension or tell me how to put them on?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Front KONI shocks- need help with putting rubber bumpers on.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 31, 2017 03:52PM

How about pics of YOUR rubbers? Normally the top bumpers are the same... one on top other on bottom of tower hole.

Is one HUGE compared to the other?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 31, 2017 03:55PM

Late model Corvair front shocks use an extra-large factory GM cushion inside the spring tower and the replacement shocks small cushion on top of the tower. The second cushion that comes with the shock is not used.

The large GM part serves at the upper suspension bump stop.
click for Clark's link

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 01, 2018 12:41AM

As Craig stated, stock shocks came with a large rubber bumper that fit in the top of the "tower".

Based on feeble memory, the original Konis came with 2 standard shock bushings plus a large bushing / bumper (similar to the stock bumper but not nearly as large) that went on the shaft first.

I do not know what bushings are supplied with the current Konis. Clark's catalog states that you must buy the large bushings separately for Koni LM front shocks - assume this is the repro-ed LM large bushing / bumper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 12:43AM by RobertC.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 01, 2018 06:55AM

I did my Koni's recently and as Robert says, the large rubber goes on first, down the shaft to the top of the shock body. That's a bump stop. Then a metal washer goes on facing up. That will only go as far as the top part of the shaft. Then one of the small rubber grommets. When you put it in the car, the second small grommet goes on the top of the shock tower, then the second metal washer. Then tighten the nut and install the second "lock" nut. That should do it.

You can leave the bump stop out if you have lowered the suspension or it will bump all the time. It is not really something you must use but in an OEM car setup, it should be installed. If you hit it, your really going to fast or hitting bumps that are really too big! smoking smiley

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: January 01, 2018 08:06AM

Actually, the longer tapered bump stop supplied is to keep the shock from bottoming out and damaging the flow control valve in the bottom of the shock.
It is even more important for lowered cars, as the chance of ruining a shock is even higher.
Per my long time friend Lee Grimes at Koni, who is in charge of the Motorsports department.
YOMV

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 01, 2018 08:36AM

FWIW

I never used the stock rubber bumper on Koni shocks that came with its own large bumper.

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: January 01, 2018 08:56AM

Thanks for that Bob! I cut about a third of the rubber bump stop off on my low car.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 01, 2018 09:06AM

Just a side note - years ago someone had a front shock problem and found the large bumper on top of the shock had failed because it wasn't built correctly.

The shock absorber shaft is suppose to sit against a metal washer molded into the inside of the large rubber bumper. If the washer is missing then the shock shaft goes through the bumper and the shock absorber shaft is loose in the tower hole and makes noise.

I don't recall if it was an OEM shock bumper, or a reproduction.

Probably an unusual problem, but easy to check BEFORE the the shocks are installed.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 01, 2018 03:39PM

On most "regular car" front shocks, there is a pair of small shock bushings on either side of the suspension tower flange. Those small bushings are held in place and forced to work, isolating the top of the shock absorber shaft from direct metal-to-metal contact with mount, by a large conical washer. That is the same design as the rear shock mounts at the top of a late model Corvair. In 65 Chevy replaced the small bushing and the lower retainer washer with the large bumper. That bumper has an integral washer, and rubber above it. For lowered cars, I recommend slicing the lower half off, allowing more upward movement before the body of the shock hits that bumper. Many Koni shocks - not just the Corvair model - have additional bumpers that slide down over the shaft and live there. The Koni piece is not retained in place, except by riding on that shaft. If you use the Koni bumper - instead of the Stock Corvair one, you must convert the top mount to a conventional design, adding back the lower washer and the small lower rubber bushing.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: LeadFootLogan ()
Date: January 06, 2018 07:38AM

Do you have a picture of the shock setup?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 06, 2018 08:07AM

Shop manual free download here in FAQ's Hard Copies from our Vendors listed in the upper left corner of this page.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.