home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Power top motor for 66 Corsa quit working!
Posted by: VIXVAIRS ()
Date: December 30, 2017 04:49PM

I went out today to put the top down on my convertible and flipped the switch and nothing happened. I unplugged the switch thinking that was the problem and connected a hot wire to one side of the double female plug and still nothing.
After much consternation I decided to remove the power top motor to check it. Wow, what a job or at least I made it one.
I then tested the motor after disconnecting the cable ends, and removed the motor, tested with a 12 volt car battery by connecting the ground wire to the ground side and touching had a wire from the positive side of the battery to the flat female connector and all I get is a click, no motor movement. I put a small screwdriver in the end where the drive cables go and it turns freely so that isn't the problem. It seems the motor is the problem.
Two questions, anyone have a good used top motor for sale? Also, the connections to the relay next to the motor has an extra 3 wire connection that goes somewhere and I don't see how or what it is for. Is it part of the top motor mechanism or goes somewhere else.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2017 11:56AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB: Power top motor for 66 Corsa
Posted by: antkoto ()
Date: December 30, 2017 08:26PM

PM sent.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: December 31, 2017 06:22AM

As of the moment, Clark's appears to have an N.O.S. motor available....

[www.corvair.com]

Part number C9470: 65-69 "BARE" ELECTRIC TOP MOTOR-REBUILT- NOS=CX3804 , GEARS=C9472, GEAR BOX =C9471

Weight: 8 lbs 0 oz Catalog Pages(s): 295 Price: $ 320.35

They also show some individual parts listings on page 295.

As a side note, I always preferred the manual top to the power top since I took the time to fold the top to avoid wrinkles or creases in the top as it went down.

Since I almost always used the parade boot when the top went down, I was always on my feet to put the top up or down anyway which meant the power top was actually slower for me.

1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: December 31, 2017 06:31AM

Isn’t it a glorified wiper motor? Wondering if there is a way to swap it out.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Date: December 31, 2017 07:44AM

I saw the Clark's motor in the book but $320 is way too steep for me. I wish mine was a manual top but I'm stuck with what I have. I don't think there is a way to convert this to manual without completely changing the mechanism and top.
I will followup on one offer but want to wait to see if any others come in and I also will check with Corvair Ranch and some Vegas parts guys in Vegas Vairs.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: December 31, 2017 08:36AM

CA Corvair has used top motors listed.

[californiacorvairparts.com]

Date: December 31, 2017 11:35AM

Thanks! I re-checked the motor and switch on the power top and they both are working!!! So my problem must be in the wiring or the relay back by the motor.
I will run a couple of wires back to see if by passing the relay will allow it to work.

Re: Power top motor for 66 Corsa quit working!
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 31, 2017 12:20PM

Be glad vix you did not buy a top motor only to find that did not fix your problem. I guess it pays to properly diagnose over just throwing parts at a problem. Now tell us about this 3 wire (unplugged) connector by the top motor. Doesn't this plug into the relay?

Date: December 31, 2017 05:31PM

Yes it does, it has the two wires that activate which way the motor turns. There is a "hot" wire for the motor and another plug with two wires that also plug into the relay that I'm not sure what they do. Also, a friend says there is a circuit breaker somewhere nearby (in the engine compartment or underneath) that may have been tripped. I see no sign of one of those anywhere including under the dash. Is that correct? Does it apply to a 65 but not a 66?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 01, 2018 12:26AM

The circuit breaker is near the battery next to the red positive block. It is a small metal box with 2 threaded studs. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: January 01, 2018 07:57AM

The convertible top motor stopped working on my 71 GTO. Took it apart and found all it needed was new brushes. Tricky getting the cover back on with the spring loaded brushes to deal with though. Jim

Posted by: Oldschool327 ()
Date: January 01, 2018 08:18AM

Sent the hard to find diagram via pm.

Posted by: Oldschool327 ()
Date: January 01, 2018 09:18AM

Power top circuit has an inline fuse between the switch and fuse block, a circuit breaker by the battery, and a relay next to the tops motor per the diagram. I would check the wiring and each of this items before messing with the motor. Hope the diagram helps, my issue was the relay by the motor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.