home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Oil Cooling via the filter
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 30, 2017 01:19PM

This topic came up on a different thread, and rather than continue to hijack that thread I am starting this new one.

It seems that Airwolf has a oil cooler that clamps onto your oil filter. The concept has been around for quite a while, but I have never seen anyone actually using it.

Here is a link to their site.

> Airwolf oil chiller <

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 01:22PM by American Mel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oil Cooling via the filter
Date: December 30, 2017 01:34PM

They claim that with the use of this product that their test engine saw a heat reduction of 50 degrees!
That seems to be a very high number to me considering just how simple this product is.
BUT, this number was attained by moving the oil-filter to a remote location DIRECTLY into engine cooling airflow.

If you visit the other pages of the website, particularly the page that offers the remote oil-filter kit you find a rather interesting little nugget of additional information.
By getting the oil-filter away from the heat producing engine, it will . . . .
"Reduces engine temps by 20F"

So, 20 degrees of the claimed 50 degree reduction achieved by their Oil Chiller was done simply by placing the filter in a remote location with good air flow around it!

I think that this alone is a great argument for going to a remote oil-filter!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 30, 2017 01:53PM

IF the oil cooler is out in the airstream at least somewhat.... I'm sure it works..

The "reduction" is determined by Ambient temps AND the Oil system capacity..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: curt ()
Date: December 30, 2017 01:59PM

Looks like the base board hot water heater system. Copper pipe with AL fins. That heater worked well for a house we owned years ago...Same principle of heat transfer.

Date: December 30, 2017 02:18PM

Matt, I understand that, and agree.
The point that I was trying to make, was that just moving the filter to a remote location away from the heat producing engine, combined with good air-flow dropped the temp 20 degrees BEFORE they even added the "Chiller".

Curt, you are also correct.
A good heat-sink can transfer heat just through convection, but it works beast when combined with some air-flow.
Think about those finned units in your computer with the tiny fans attached.

By the way, "Joelsplace" is the one who inspired this discussion in the first place.
Just to keep the record straight.
"You should make a finned sleeve to clamp around the oil filter to really get rid of the heat. You could mount an electric fan to the sleeve also. You would need an exhaust duct so that the hot air doesn't get pulled into the fan."

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: December 30, 2017 02:29PM

Most folks could achieve the same temperature reduction if not more by deflashing their cylinder heads, sealing the shrouds and maintaining the engine as GM designed.

Posted by: veverlove ()
Date: December 30, 2017 03:03PM

Interesting perspective one gets when talking to pilots and the matter of "expensive," or not, and the average Corvair owner!? Having a fixed income myself and after reading many comments on Corvair owners' notorious frugality, It seems a bit pricey, but oil cooling for our Vairs is a vairy good thing. smiling bouncing smiley This Air Wolf Cooling System is listed at $150 and advertised as being the "best value in aviation - its cheap and it works fantastic!" Wonder if the ad guy is relative to Arnold Schwarzenegger? He liked that particular superlative "Fantastic!" a lot. gg Trying to fab something like that wouldn't be simple, by nature of the fins.

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: December 30, 2017 03:42PM

Its absolutely no problem at all for oil to be running at 265f if the oil viscosity is in range for the engine at that temperature... undoubtedly the
airplane would be running an oil viscosity that would be right for 265, otherwise there would have been a number of engine failures related to high oil
temps. That's probably the reason so many air cooled aircraft tend to use a somewhat thicker oil than would normally be used in cars. There is no real engine "cooling" advantage to be had by cooling the oil, as oil makes for a relatively poor cooling heat transfer fluid. The colder it is, the less it flows, the less efficient the oil cooler becomes, and the thicker the oil is,
the hotter it wants to get when sheared. If you really seriously want to do a lot with "oil cooling" you would want to install a higher volume oil pump and run a somewhat thinner oil, thereby increasing the oil flow through the system,
and monitor your temperatures to see if you still need to get a larger oil cooler... as in many instances, the "thinner oil/higher flow rate" strategy
often runs much cooler.
I do think that the idea itself is quite clever, however if you are going to trouble to install the oil filter outside the engine compartment, why not exchange the oil filter for a properly sized oil cooler and mount that outside
as it is about the same amount of work, and then put the oil filter back in its stock location.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: Demon-Xanth ()
Date: December 30, 2017 03:51PM

The limiting issue with that setup would easily be the surface area between the oil and the canister, which would remain unchanged.

'61 Monza 900, 3 speed. Roams the streets of soon to be Stafford, Va
Cars need to drive to be alive. One that never leaves the garage may be perfect, but dead.

Date: December 30, 2017 04:56PM

wagon Master, you are totally right on that. I was thinking of those people who have already done those things but want even more additional cooling.

veverlove, yes, the price IS ridiculous for such a small piece of aluminum!
I would think that someone out there could produce a similar item that was not "Designed for Aircraft" and sell it MUCH cheaper.

Kevin, you bring up some very good points. But I never said anything about moving the filter outside of the engine compartment. I was thinking more of near the front of the engine where the cooling air is entering the engine bay, instead of being tucked way in the back down in that little hot hole between the Alternator and the Coil. Both are objects that also contribute heat to the engine compartment.
I suppose that you are right though, same effort to move the cooler as to move the filter, and if done correctly, you would not have a fan-belt to deal with.

Demon, you are right there, that is why having a metal that has a high heat transfer rate is important. Also any dirt and debris that is on the oil-filter is going to reduce the contact surface and reduce the cooling effect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.