home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Here's one to Watch or Bid on!! '66 5/8 Cord Sportsman Best "look" I've seen
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 29, 2017 09:23PM

[www.ebay.com]

NO RESERVE!!

Ad saved in PDF format 72 pics!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 07:02PM by MattNall.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here's one to Watch or Bid on!! '66 5/8 Cord Sportsman Best "look" I've seen
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 29, 2017 10:09PM

I could see myself getting into a lot of trouble with this car.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Re: Here's one to Watch or Bid on!! '66 5/8 Cord Sportsman Best "look" I've seen
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 29, 2017 11:06PM

Ahh!
The wayward love child of two of my favorite cars!
Good thing I am dirt poor right now or I would be on my way to Florida!

My personal taste would be real wire wheels with some WIDE WHITES on this one. thumbs up

-----------------------------------------------
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: December 30, 2017 04:59AM

What does everyone think it will go for? Too bad not in running condition.

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: December 30, 2017 06:20AM

Too bad the top is gone. what a cool look.i'd also ditch those 80's wheels.
id say it goes north of 10k.

The Corvair, Keeping Nader Notorious winking smiley

Will
Northern California

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: December 30, 2017 08:08AM

Yes, Wide whites would be great. Also to get the front geometry to work right the new wheels would need lots of backspace (front wheel drive wheels)

They don't sell very often. Will be interesting to see what it brings.

T. Kalp
Wichita, KS

Attachments:
Posted by: streblerm ()
Date: December 30, 2017 09:55AM

Neat car but Ugh those wheels. I thought they were hideous when they were “in” and time hasn’t tempered my view. Obviously wires would be best but even plain steel wheels would be better.

It looks like the fiberglass body has had and still needs a lot of work. There could be a lot hiding under that Maaco paint job.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 30, 2017 10:26AM

I don't much about these so I will ask did these cars come with 140 HP engines?
Were they all PGs or could you get a manual trans? What was used for a differential?
Did they all come equipped with A/C? I see it uses a York aluminum compressor with R12.
Where does someone buy parts for a car like this?

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 30, 2017 11:21AM

140/pg or 180/4 spd. A fellow in Okla has a handle on parts from the builder Glen Pray.

Body is ABS not fibreglass.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: December 30, 2017 12:00PM

Steve: do you have a link to the parts.

That would be interesting to look at.

Date: December 30, 2017 12:17PM

I thought Clark's had acquired the remaining parts for these ? ? ?

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 30, 2017 12:38PM

To Phil: no I have lost touch with any email/website info. The only reader here that has one of the Glen Pray Cords is Terry Kalp. Hopefully he will jump in here.

To Mel: There is/was a fellow in Okla Felix Deguiter (spl?) that used to set up the Cord meets in Okla. I don't see anything from him anymore so I have no idea what he is doing. Yes Clarks has parts and honestly I forgot that point, I have not ordered/needed a Pray Cord part in years.

There was a Cord shop in Wellington Kans that stocked real Cord as well as the baby Cord parts too. I have no idea what happened to them. Again maybe Terry can help.

There used to be several in Denver area but only remains that I am familiar with. It is 180/4 and not used often. They aren't the most fun to work on either.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: December 30, 2017 08:49PM

The place in Wellington, Ks that restores Cords (large and small) is Stan's Paint & Body Shop. He had Corvair powered Cord parts, but it is my understanding he sold them all to Clark's. The Cord parts are hard to find on Clark's site because they are part of the OTTO catalog.

The small Cords also used many of the same parts as the '36-7 810s those can be found at Auburn Cord Duesenberg Co. Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
[www.facebook.com]

Felix DeGeyter has worked at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Co.pretty much since Glenn purchased the companies and parts. Felix has several of the small Cords and an excellent knowledge of the vehicles. Also the small Cords used parts off of contemporary cars of the '50s and 60's. At one time there was an owner's group and they have published some lists of parts that exchange. Needless to say it pays to start out with as complete Cord as you can find.

The two optional power trains were 180 turbo with 4-speed and 140 with PG. Some left the factory non-conforming and a few others have been changed over the years. They used Corvair transaxles.

I drove one of Felix's four-speed Cords. The shifter mounts upside down under the dash and the shift rod runs over the engine. It made the FC shifter seem crisp by comparison.

Air Conditioning was an option. Mine left the factory with it, but it was long gone by the time it got to me. Some had hot air heaters while others used gas heaters.

Working on my Cord and Devin C makes me appreciate the Factory Service manuals, other books on Corvair repair and modification, and groups like this that is available for the Corvair hobby.

T. Kalp
Wichita, KS

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 30, 2017 09:25PM

So, guys - Someone buy the car and send it to Terry in Kansas and have him re-build it. That is a cruiser!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: December 30, 2017 09:39PM

HERE is a Fabulous article from Hemmings about Glenn Pray and his Excellent Cord Adventure.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: December 30, 2017 11:21PM

Next to the Hemmings article is an ad for this very car.
They are asking $7500 for it in the ad.

Date: December 31, 2017 01:06PM

VairKing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What does everyone think it will go for?
==================================================

A-Mel found a Hemmings ad where they wanted $7500

This guy is most likely a Flipper / Detailer

Right after the first of the year....

I don't think it will go over $7k unless a couple of people really want it...

I like it.. at under $5k. GG

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: ensys ()
Date: December 31, 2017 06:14PM

At the risk of being an outelier, I would note that the 80% size does not do the original justice, and in the end, production numbers aside, it's just another retro front driver, not unlike the PT Cruiser.

Beauty and the eye of the beholder and Different Strokes, of course.

Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

From America's
Automobile Heartland

Date: December 31, 2017 06:44PM

opinions are always welcome!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 05, 2018 07:04PM

tkalp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> They don't sell very often. Will be interesting to
> see what it brings.
==========================================================

$12,700! Went up $2k in the last 10 seconds..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 07:05PM by MattNall.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.