home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Fuel lines in engine compartment damage
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:07PM

I've heard of a few Corvairs that have burned over the years so I keep rubber lines out of the engine compartment. What causes the fires? Has anyone ever seen fuel lines ruptured /damaged from a thrown belt? Matt mentioned keeping them away from the belt and got me thinking even though I never have belt issues.
I guess rubber on the stock fuel pump inlet side isn't a big issue since they don't hold pressure and if they start sucking air the car will just quit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuel lines in engine compartment damage
Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:17PM

Rubber does not need pressure to leak. It can happen just from deterioration. In fact, I'd have to say that with only 4-6 lbs of pressure from the pump anyway, it's probably old age that gets them normally.

But with mostly steel lines, except for those that have been changed out over the years, leaky fuel lines would typically be a loose fitting or something like that.

Or, in more recent years, a leaky fuel pump could be a common culprit.

Really though, just a really poor running engine with fuel leaking and spitting out of the carbs and one perfectly timed backfire through a carburetor could set things to going. Plenty of opportunities for gas residue to build up on the engine.

That's my take on it anyway. I know my dad's late model turbo had rubber lines after he added a regulator, but think it was originally all steel tubing. I don't remember the main layout originally.

Paul

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:19PM

I've seen a couple fires caused by a loose battery. The metal engine lid prop goes right past the battery when the engine lid is down. If the battery posts touch the engine prop, then you've got a fire, and possibly an explosion from hydrogen gas (from rapid discharge).

Years ago a fellow at work jumped his car's battery with the cables polarity reversed to the spare battery! Put him in the hospital for a week.

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:22PM

All corvair engines originally came with steel lines in the engine compartment. Turbo 140 and two carbs.

Marco
Sun Valley Ca 91352

Re: Fuel lines in engine compartment damage / Fires!!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:24PM

Joel.... anything can happen...especially with a 60 year old vehicle...

Timothy shortle had a steel rt. carb line break on a road trip... from age....that's the distributor side....

You see in my pics.... I just reverse the stock lines... and even mount a "FACET" style pump and the inline filter at the opposite corner..... 5 minute changeout...I estimate!! never had one fail as they can SUCK gasoline UP 4 foot from a bucket...unlike most electric pumps.

Also... most do not know / remember.... 60's - 80's FORD products with inline 6's had a rubber hose from the fenderwell [ solid mount ] to the engine's fuelpump which is right beside the distributor! They caught on fire often...

The "Pinto Legend" was a lady who fueled her own car and forgot the cap!

Pulled out and stopped at the light...... rear-ended by a drunk going 70+

Early Air-cooled VW Beetles used unclamped hose [ chinese finger trap style ] that when aged and under pressure... would pop off... yup right above the distributor and right below the coil!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: Fuel lines in engine compartment damage / Fires!!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:30PM

As far as seeing RUBBER fuel lines to carb get ripped by a belt sure!! Especially on Dunebuggies...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:37PM

Heat, spark and fuel are combined in such a small hot area.

The exhaust system is directly below the fuel pump, battery is close, carbs mounted on heads rather than a cooler traditional intake manifold.

Deterioration of rubber hose due to age and heat is certainly a factor, but do not forgot the rubber hose fasteners the typical worm-style of fuel line clamps with the slots cut into face can cut into the hose as it is tightened and create a future failure in the making.

IF you are going to use rubber hose in the engine compartment, not suggested, for long term use I would use the fuel injection style of hose clamps. These are NOT serrated/slotted and will not cut into the hose and spread the tension along the entire face of the clamp vs. the serrated old style radiator-type clamp that pinches and cuts into the rubber.

I experienced this when testing Weber Carbs on my motor, since this was a short term test session I used rubber hose from the metal fuel lines to the Webers 40 IDFs. I first used radiator or slotted clamps and found the surface cuts and later changed to the fuel injection type clamp. The testing phase went on all summer.

Regards.

Jimc
1965 Corsa

Jimc
1965 Corsa

HACOA member
AACA 2015 Award
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 29, 2017 04:15PM

Had a local fellow drive his Rampside to my house so we could check it over before he shipped it to Hawaii. That was about a 24 mile trip.
It was running in front of my house. When I raised the engine cover, there was a constant mist of gas spraying over the engine!!! It should have burst into flames!

He had all stock steel fuel lines. But tome monkey twisted the Right had fuel line so much at the carburetor that it fractured! Not the owner never services anything. So he didn't even notice it. But I just can't believe he drove sop far. The top of the engine was actually moderately wet with gas!

hot smiley

Just goes to show. We NEED to maintain our vintage cars!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 29, 2017 04:44PM

Wow Matt, that was a long time ago driving between Needles and Barstow California on my way to the Fan Belt Toss. Thank GOD I was with Seth Emersons ignition parts so there was no "spark leak".
One time I bought a 65 Corvair (cheap) that had caught fire because the rubber grommet was missing allowing the positive battery cable to rub thru its insulation on the front engine shroud. It basically totalled the car but that car had a lot of good parts. It destroyed paint, the rear window, and made a mess of the engine components as I recall (almost 40 years ago now).

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 29, 2017 06:03PM

Yes, Matt, I've seen the VW bugs on fire also. That un-clamped hose was next to the generator (arcing brushes) too!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 29, 2017 06:33PM

Jimc,
None of my Corvairs have the exhaust directly under the fuel pump.

Every V8 Chevy mechanical pump I've ever seen used rubber on the suction side but their pumps are very low and open to the ground.

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: December 30, 2017 08:14AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, Matt, I've seen the VW bugs on fire also.
> That un-clamped hose was next to the generator
> (arcing brushes) too!

My sister's bug caught on fire, one of my long time friends vw caught on
fire, and I have heard of a couple others that caught on fire from the same
problem. It is because of the location of that rubber hose, right next to the
generator and other possible sources of spark. I had a fuel leak on my then
weber equipped early turbo, and the leak was right at the fuel inlet to the
carb. The leak started on a highway and apparently the banjo connection got
a bit loose. I had no tools with me, no fire extinguisher, and knew I shouldn't
continue driving. Fortunately I found a place a few miles up the road that I was able to buy a adjustable wrench and was able to tighten the connection and
stop that leak, and continue on with my trip. I figured I got away with that
leak not causing a fire because I had an electronic ignition and alternator, so most of the possible ignition sources were minimized.
Later on, I was able to take care of the banjo loosening problem, which was
caused by the fuel filter and fuel line vibrating. Here's a picture of the mount
that I made.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 08:18AM by 63turbo.

Attachments:
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: December 30, 2017 08:31AM

Here's a better picture of the fuel filter support

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Attachments:
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: December 30, 2017 08:49AM

My Corvair mechanic of yore hated the plastic fuel filters that people put in the engine compartments of Corvairs and VWs.

Date: December 30, 2017 09:12AM

Those plastic oil pressure lines are not a good idea either!
Replace with an electronic sender and gauge.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.