home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gas in engine oil
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: December 29, 2017 01:57PM

Not just a little... a whole lot of gasoline is mixed in with my engine oil. I drained it today in preparation for some resealing and it poured out like water!

I have also noticed that the car guzzles gas when it runs. I'm thinking that I have a bad fuel pump that is leaking into the case. Are there any other reasons gas would be in the oil in such large quantities?

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gas in engine oil
Posted by: curt ()
Date: December 29, 2017 02:00PM

Need a new fuel pump. Diaphragm in fuel pump is cracked and fuel pump is pumping gas into engine. Drain oil, replace fuel pump. DO NOT DRIVE TILL FIXED.

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: December 29, 2017 02:09PM

One easy test as per my late super mechanic....pull a little oil out of the pan, dipstick will work, put a match to it...if it burns, its got gas in it...no burn...no gas...just oil.

Sounds like my test is too late for you John...hope you did not drive it too much with the gas in there...terrible on the bearings.

Date: December 29, 2017 02:18PM

The car was driven exactly once in the last year. It went around my front yard. Other than that, it was only started a few times. I was planning on converting it to an electric fuel pump anyway, as today's gas is tough on the rubber diaphragm in the mechanical pump.

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 29, 2017 02:47PM

John.... material in new Mech. pumps is fine with ethanol!

The problem is with "quality" bad castings /sealing surfaces.... poppet valve falling out

All easily repaired at home...

Note: I only run electric pumps... don't even want gasl lines close to belt...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Attachments:

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:00PM

Matt, Matt, worried about fuel lines close to the belt but running rubber lines in the engine compartment? Shame on you.
I wish they had designed the pumps to leak externally when they fail instead of pumping the crankcase full of fuel. I've only run across that problem a couple of times and neither were Corvair but it is an issue.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:01PM

I would also recommend changing the oil and filter. Run the engine for 15 to 30 minutes. Then change the oil again.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:23PM

When the pumps leak on the old Ford V8's, they can still leak internally, but typically exit via a vent hole to the outside. This might seem an improvement, but they might have at least aimed the vent a little differently. Or added a drain hose like the motorcycle manufacturers have been doing for decades.
When mine leaked it shot a nice big stream of gas right on to the exhaust manifold!
Not that the exhaust is necessarily hot enough to light it off all on it's own, but take that liquid and turn it immediately into a big evaporated gas cloud, and things don't look as safe.

So apparently even when they design the pumps to leak outward, they can still get it wrong!

Paul

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 29, 2017 03:27PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matt, Matt, worried about fuel lines close to the
> belt but running rubber lines in the engine
> compartment? Shame on you.
==============================================================

Rubber is OK in that area... remember Turbos have the primary filter connected the same way... NO PRESSURE!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 29, 2017 03:44PM

John...don't forget the oil filter...you will want to put on a new one, maybe get some cheap oil...like maybe 5-20 or so and run that a little bit, then put on a another new oil filter, and your oil you normally use. I think you will be ok...but Tony will know better than I.

I have bought 2 of Rafee's electric fuel pumps...both are on my two corvairs and one has been on there about 5-6 thousand miles and about 2 years...my 66 goes to Tn and Greenville and Lenoir a lot for car shows. He has really nice quality ones and they are really reasonably priced...he also has an installation guide on his website.

Jimmy in Asheville

Date: December 29, 2017 04:12PM

Thanks guys! I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but I feel better about the situation. I thought I was up poo-poo creek without an oar!

John Carver
Landrum, South Carolina

1964 Monza Convertible

Date: December 29, 2017 07:49PM

Yes...everyone on here gave you great advice...I repeated some of their advice which all was good, should have read all the posts first...like one said...be sure and eliminate the bad fuel pump before doing anything.

I used the orig fuel pump and took out all of the "buttons/valves?" and then blew though it to make sure it was open. Have not experienced any gas in the oil and used the orig gas lines...but I have a 140 in my 66...my 110 in my 64 conv has the gas lines on the opposite place similar to Matt's and is not close to the fuel pump area and it has a cover over the old gas pump area...Rafee has those also. Just something to consider.

Attachments:
Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: December 30, 2017 09:53AM

"I used the orig fuel pump and took out all of the "buttons/valves?" and then blew though it to make sure it was open. "

If that fuel pump was leaking before, it will still be leaking! It is not the vlaves that cause leaks, it is the rubber diaphrams!

I like to put electric pumps with the bypass block in stock fuel pump with stock steel fuel lines. Put an inline fuel filter up by the starter.

Date: December 30, 2017 07:16PM

You ASSUME a lot solo....might ask first

I did not tell him to use his leaky fuel pump did I?

The fuel pump was one that did not leak...I just wanted an electric fuel pump and that is what I got...it works great and my car goes to Tennessee and South Carolina on a regular basis...and even east in NC.

I have two fuel filters...one on the electric fuel pump and a completely metal one before the line enters the engine compartment....my 140 is pretty dang fast and has never let me down one time in 2 years and thousands of miles...its just like all the chevy V-8 engines I have built for my cars, dependable and some quick...my L79 Corvette I did not build but its been rebuilt...and was balanced by one of the best race car shops in NASCAR history.

I believe in options....if it works for me...and saves me money...unless you are an A/H, I will pass my knowledge along

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 07:23PM by red monza.

Attachments:
Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: December 31, 2017 05:52AM

The filter that comes on the electric pumps is a little less effective than the son on the intake line.

I put my good filter after the pump at the tank (metallic, Donaldson P550012) in the wheel well, before splitting the gas lines directly to each carb.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: December 31, 2017 09:47AM

My take on the original mechanical pump is that it fails in one of two ways. Leaks fuel into the oil and ruins the engine, or leaks fuel into the engine compartment and starts a fire. Either way it is BAD. I prefer to remove the mech. pump and use a quality electric. Unless your after show cars and must have the OEM look, it's a lot safer.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Date: December 31, 2017 11:21AM

And if you use one of those clear plastic fuel filters in any car in the engine compartment...you are asking for a fire in my opinion....metal only is what I use and on my 49 and both corvairs it is not in the engine compartment...my corvette has the metal fuel filter right next to the block and water pump in front of the carb but in 45 years has been good no problems but it is metal with a return line to the fuel pump...I think I have only replaced it one time in all those years.

I agree on the electric fuel pump for corvairs based on the design of the original fuel pump.

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: December 31, 2017 11:28AM

or you can go with both...

[corvaircenter.com]

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

Posted by: BILLG ()
Date: January 01, 2018 06:14AM

HAPPENED TO ME LAST SPRING. TOOK TWO PUMPS TO FINALLY SOLVE PROBLEM. SECOND CAME FROM CLARK'S. HAS BEEN GOOD SINCE INSTALL. AND DEFINITELY REMEMBER THE FILTER CHANGE TWICE AND SOME CHEAP OIL TO CLEAN EVERYTHING OUT FIRST BEFORE THE KEEPER NEW OIL AND FILTER.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.