Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Bassett wheels for autocross.
Posted by: Bobdudeman ()
Date: December 29, 2017 11:30AM

I'm thinking about switching out the wheels that are on my car for some steel racing wheels. I've been looking at the Bassett and arrow brands. I have eights all around right now and was wondering if anybody had suggestions for the Bassett or Aero wheels and size for my ,66 monza. This will be a light driver around town but mostly made for autocross. I'm thinking about rolling the fenders to accommodate wider Wheels. All suggestions welcome. Thank you Happy New Year

Re: Bassett wheels for autocross.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 29, 2017 01:59PM

Normally you drive the car first and then decide what YOUR setup needs...

You can have too much wheel / tire...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 29, 2017 06:01PM

Start with rules, then tires, then wheels.

Rules dictate what is the max tire. The tire requires a certain wheel size, Then try to tuck the wheels under to clear. 8" is about all that will clear bone-stock fenderwells in the back. 8" will usually have some contact in the front of the front wheel well. If the rules allow wider, then check for tire availability, then wheels to fit them, then clearance for that set-up. Have fun. It is hard to have too much tire on the back of a Corvair. (Maybe on the front!)

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: December 31, 2017 07:28PM

I don't often disagree with Seth, and one does so at his peril. But this time I do.

With careful measurement my experience is that you can get up to 9.5" wide wheels on the back without doing anything to the fender well. I have trimmed the fender well flange and am able to run 10.375" wheels.

The problem of contact at the front of the the front fender wells depends on the tire diameter. If they are low profile 15s, you can fit up to a 9" wide wheel in the front. If they get to be more than about 24" tall, then you might experience the clearance problem.

I would say that some combination of 8s, 8.5s, or 9s in the front and 9s, 9.5s, or 10s in the back, depending on the tire width and diameter, would work well. For my money, the optimum front-to-back width differential is about 1.5" with a corresponding difference in tire width (assuming you run a rear anti-sway bar).

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: January 01, 2018 09:32AM

Class rules do matter. I ran 15x8 3 pc light weight wheels at all 4 corners for a few years in ESP and did quite well. Then when the rules changed I went to Street Modified.
Basically unlimited on wheel/tires there, but I am not cutting my car or adding flares! I changed the inner and outer barrels on wheels to make them 15x10 and went to short 275-35-15 Hoosiers and with the right [criticle]backspace and spacers, they fit my car!
It needs to be noted that all Corvairs are not built the same!
My wheels/tires may not fit your cars!
Also something to think about, [those] Hoosier Tires grip so hard that Carburetors are going to have a tough time with the increased g forces!
For this reason, I went to fuel injection ...I did this even with the 15x8 set up!
Also to note, It takes more than just tires and wheels. Only the right combination of pieces will get the most out of them and much of the time it will be a compromise!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 09:36AM by solo2r.

Posted by: Bobdudeman ()
Date: January 02, 2018 04:02PM

Thanks everyone, I will save the money and run the 8s all around for now and then invest later on as I progress.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.