home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
FC: Gas Smell in the Cabin, something up with the tank?
Posted by: PineTone ()
Date: December 28, 2017 07:00PM

Hi folks - My FC has been running strong lately, but the cabin reeks of gas within a few minutes after I turn off the engine. There's always been a slight smell in the cabin upon returning to the car from running errands, restarting after a half-hour etc but the smell is getting a lot more noticeable. I checked the gas tank and filler tube for any possible failings but nothing stood out. The carbs have leaked minuscule amounts over the past few months, and the fuel filter was recently changed, so my next guess, aside from the gas tank/tube, is the fuel lines are the culprits. Have any of you experienced this issue lately and, if so, how did you fix it?

On a related note, the tank lets out a slight spray if the cap is taken off with a tank at more than half full, even in cold weather at low altitude without a whole lot of driving. There's usually a bit of remaining fuel present in the tube when I remove the cap, too. I called Clark's about this as I had just ordered one of their new gas caps, which they assert is a two-way vent. I kinda miss the old model with the removable spring inside. Maybe my filler tube is the issue? Cheers for any assistance you all could offer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FC: Gas Smell in the Cabin, something up with the tank?
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: December 28, 2017 07:10PM

Does it have a gas heater?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 28, 2017 07:12PM

No, air heater. It's a 61 with a 110 hp 64 engine, mechanical fuel pump.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 28, 2017 07:42PM

Have you ever had the fuel tank out? Gas Cap is causing your problem!

Since you have a new one coming... why not just drill a small hole in your current?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 28, 2017 08:15PM

Matt: Never had the gas tank out, but I'm interested in checking it out somewhere down the road, as apparently there's a dimple on the top of the FC tanks that holds water and can rust out.

Received the new gas cap a few months ago, but wish I had kept my last one, with that two-way vent mod. Drove it as is as the stink was the only annoyance. I think I remember a thread on modifying these gas caps a while back. Will check it out again. Thanks

Date: December 28, 2017 09:59PM

No leaks in the tank / whole system because of the pressure....itf any real holes.... no pressure would build...

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 29, 2017 08:03AM

Removing the tank from a FC is quite easy. There are possible leaks from the sending unit o-ring, fuel line from sending unit to steel fuel line, filler neck connector hose and vent hose.
Another trait with FC's is when you have a full tank of gas and make hard right turns.... the gas can slosh up to the filler cap and actually dribble out creating a gas smell.

Your situation sounds like a bad gas cap that's not properly vented. However after 50+ years, I recommend you drop the tank and refresh the rubber items listed.

If you had rust hole in the top of the tank like you mentioned, gas would leak out with less than 1/2 a tank full.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 29, 2017 09:45AM

Maybe I missed this but what kind of FC do you have? If not a Rampside or Loadside, then the engine compartment is in the cabin. I recently had a loose nut on a carb which allowed gas to leak and smell (bad).

Date: December 29, 2017 09:57AM

Greenbrier... and he has pressure in his tank due to the wrong gas cap.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 29, 2017 10:18AM

I don't know what Clark's is selling now but the one I bought a few years ago was supposedly vented both ways but was not. If you have fuel spray when you remove the cap it isn't vented properly. None of the caps I've looked at locally are vented correctly either.
I drilled a small hole in one of mine and that made it leak gas in RH turns if it had more than half a tank.
Does anyone know where to buy a good cap? I've just held on to old ones.
Carbs on a hot engine evaporate fuel and make gas smells. If you have pressure in the tank it make this much worse. Hot soak starting is worse also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 10:20AM by joelsplace.

Posted by: Kims65 ()
Date: December 29, 2017 10:48AM

My Greenbrier had the same gas smell symptoms recently.

It turned out to be failing (rubber tipped) needle valves in the carbs.

The residual pressure in the lines allowed fuel to flood into the engine through the carbs after shut-off. Finally, when parked slightly uphill, fuel filled a cylinder and locked the engine overnight. Some fuel had leaked passed rings and into the crankcase too. Mechanical pump and floats in the carbs were OK - not leaking.

Once the cylinders and spark plugs were dry/cleaned, oil changed and carb needle valves replaced all is well again. Smell went back only slight evaporation vapors when hot.

Thought I'd share another thing to check...

John
'64 Greenbrier 110/PG
Mission Viejo, CA

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 29, 2017 10:57AM

On my Rampside I like the Chrome locking gas cap that California Corvairs sells. It vents and looks a lot like the non bowtie OEM cap. Looks good too.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: December 29, 2017 11:37AM

The FCs have a special fitting for the gas heater that could be leaking since you do not have a gas heater. It is probably capped off but could be leaking.

Date: December 31, 2017 01:08PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the tips! Happy New Year to all

Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: December 31, 2017 01:10PM

Happy New Year,Corey!

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: December 31, 2017 01:18PM

Gas smell in cabin? Just had that problem. See iffin the top slot-screws on the Fuel pump need a little tightening. A drip from there will stink up your cabin...

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.