home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
60s Dunlop 13" Wire Whels
Posted by: Jim's Wife's 64 ()
Date: December 28, 2017 07:43AM

Just wanted to share my wife's 13" wire wheels I got her for Christmas. I purchased these from California Corvair and went and had the powder coated gloss black. These are going to look beautiful on her 64 convertible.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 60s Dunlop 13" Wire Whels
Date: December 28, 2017 08:14AM

They will be going on this...

Attachments:

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 28, 2017 08:39AM

I'm not a wire wheel guy but I like the black. Great job.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: December 28, 2017 08:44AM

Thanks! My wife wanted wire wheels. I actually like the 5 Series BMW (BBS) style some are running. If and when I get my own Corvair, I will be looking into them.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: December 28, 2017 09:14AM

Cool! Those will look nice!

Posted by: blue hen ()
Date: December 28, 2017 10:05AM

My father had some of these wheels on his Alfa Romero. What happens if they need to be adjuster after the powder coat?

Date: December 28, 2017 10:11AM

Unfortunately, I will have to have the spoke(s) replaced, but lucky for me. I can order new spokes, powder coat individually as needed and then have them adjusted. To mitigate this and since they had wheel weights on them when I purchased them, I will just run the weights on the inside lip of the wheels. The powder coat should prevent the spokes from loosening and needing readjusted.

Posted by: BILLG ()
Date: December 28, 2017 11:28AM

Have you considered putting tubes and flaps in the tires so you do not have leakers? I have wire wheels on my 64 red vert with Firestone FR380 tires. Looks great!

Date: December 28, 2017 11:35AM

I will be running tubes, yes. Because I am having troubles finding genuine rim band protectors. I have ordered Wonder Tape pipe wrap to use as rim bands, as this is the same procedure that Hendrix Wire Wheels uses. I have a brand new set of Maxxis tires I will be mounting. I just pray the wheels run out is within, so I do not have to worry about adjusting the spokes at the moment. Eventually, I would like to replace all the spokes. I think that would be a beautiful contrast (Stainless spokes with black outer ring and inner hub)

Date: December 28, 2017 11:48AM

You could buy some liquid rubber (latex) and brush on several coats in the center, letting each set up before adding another coat, then use that uncured rubber tape on top of that. Probably would get it sealed so you wouldn't need tubes.
Put the wheels on a spin balancer without tires first to check the run-out of the wheels alone.
Then, after mounting have the tires "trued" to make them perfectly round.
Stick on weights on the inside of the rim should work for that.

Good luck with all the fussin'! Real wire wheels are worth it!, IMHO.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: December 28, 2017 12:03PM

Where are you sourcing the 13" tire tubes from? I have been having difficulty finding the correct tubes for my car.

Posted by: mwr ()
Date: December 28, 2017 12:10PM

There are zillions on ebay.

Posted by: tkalp ()
Date: December 28, 2017 02:16PM

Junkman, when I had the tires put on my wire wheels this summer the tire store I was working with bought a case of them and had them in just a couple of days. If you need some, I can let you know the information on the store in Wichita.

T. Kalp
Wichita, KS

Attachments:
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: December 28, 2017 03:07PM

Another option is to go to a Harley shop and have the rims and spokes sealed.
The Biker guys are doing this so they can run vintage and new spoke wheels with tubeless tires. It's like a rubber sealer that won't fracture and leak after some time.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 28, 2017 03:10PM

Jim how much does one of your wire wheels weigh?

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: December 28, 2017 04:25PM

They are extremely heavy. Probably 25lbs. per wheel

Date: January 11, 2018 09:49AM

Here they are. All mounted and ready to go. I am still awaiting the custom center cap Monza 900 logo I am having made, but I love how they turned out and can't wait to see them on the car. To answer the question of the wheel rubber band. I contacted Dayton and True Spoke, along with reaching out to wire wheel restorers and they all said they use 10mm pvc pipe tape. So, I ordered a roll of 1" and 2". They turned out very professional. The guys at the tire shop were blown away as they didn't know about that trick either. But, anyway enjoy!

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.