home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT? Fire Extinguishers-And Rolling-Extinguisher Exploding Ball?!
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: December 28, 2017 06:46AM

I just had my newly-acquired commercial building - auto repair shop inspected by the insurance company, and the inspector mentioned my extinguishers need to be date code certified. So I called the local extinguisher place and he wants $50 + tax for brand new metal valve extinguishers.

I looked on eBay and I can get refurbished certified extinguishers for bit more than half the price ($30). I know the deal with local, but I also have a budget, and I need 10.

[www.ebay.com]

And then scrolling through eBay I noticed these balls you roll into a fire. Has anybody ever had experience with them? I'm sure there's a video on YouTube lol

[www.ebay.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT? Fire Extinguishers-And Rolling-Extinguisher Exploding Ball?!
Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: December 28, 2017 07:32AM

Your local Fire Marshall/AHJ will write you up if you don't have the approved life safety equipment. Ask him/her what their requirements are before you buy.

Date: December 28, 2017 08:02AM

The local fire station happens to be directly across the street, and I mean directly. They also don't do any inspections whatsoever. This is to satisfy the insurance company, but there will also eventually be a city code inspection, and I suspect that a current date code will suffice. To satisfy our curiosity, I will go across the street and ask the fire guys what their opinion is

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 08:03AM by UGLYTRUK.

Posted by: SoloCP ()
Date: December 28, 2017 02:08PM

Uglytruk
Can you send me pics of your fire extinguishers, this is what I do for a living. Just for your info, dry chemical fire extinguisher should be inspected annually. Every 6 years from manufacturer date you are either doing a 6 year maintenance or 12 year's hydrostatic test cylinder then refill. If within date you should be able to have them inspected for $6 each. 5# ABC 6 year should not run over $2%. 10# not over $35. Hydrotesting not over $20 each, but will have cost of recharge additional. New Commercial 5# ABC tag ready to be install around $55 each, 10# around $80. Leading brands are Amerex or Ansul. Stay away from Kidde plastic Valve Fire Extinguishers. If all your Extinguishers are in date and they cone to your building total with Service Call should be around $100. Hope this helps.

Don
Kansas City
HACOA
Broken Halo Corvair Garage.
61 Lakewood
62 Monza aka (Flicka)
62 Rampside
63 700 Sedan 3 Speed
64 Spyder Coupe (Bill Pierson Car)
64 Monza Convertible,140/4 Speed,Electric Heat,Kelsey Hayes Wheels
64 Spyder Blown, (Dave Bolduc Car)
64 Monza Convertible 110/Auto (Future Project)
65 Corsa 3.1 Liter Triple Weber (aka Unsafe)
65 Corsa 140/4 Speed with Triple Weber
66 Avenger, Corvair Turbo, Fuel Injected, Air to Water intercool 140. (Michael Mann Car)
67 Monza 110 Auto. Sugar Bear

Date: December 28, 2017 03:39PM

Interesting history about "Fire Grenades" as a method of combating building fires.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 28, 2017 04:41PM

I saw an antique fire suppression device that looked like a glass ball with some red liquid in it. I think it was 4-5" in diameter. Only one I've ever seen or heard of until now.

Posted by: moomba32 ()
Date: December 28, 2017 05:21PM

SoloCP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uglytruk
> Can you send me pics of your fire extinguishers,
> this is what I do for a living. Just for your
> info, dry chemical fire extinguisher should be
> inspected annually. Every 6 years from
> manufacturer date you are either doing a 6 year
> maintenance or 12 year's hydrostatic test cylinder
> then refill.

Off base but should be interesting to Don.
About 6-8 years ago our superintendent decided that doing this maintenance and hydros was too much trouble or too expensive so he swapped out all our Ansul cartridge extinguishers with stored pressure ABC. We had around 200, a mix between 20 and 30 lb. He gave them to the people he bought the new ones from, think they made out OK? And now we still have to do the same maintenance to the cheaper units.

Date: December 28, 2017 06:36PM

The Red Line Ansul Cartridge Fire Extinguisher are very expensive normally used by Rail Roads and Utility Companies as they can refill them self. Guarantee the Fire Service Company made out like a bandit, a used 20# or 30# would easily sell for $150 to $200 serviced ready to go.

Don
Kansas City
HACOA
61 Lakewood
62 Monza aka (Flicka)
62 Rampside
63 700 Sedan 3 Speed
66 Avenger, Corvair Turbo, Fuel Injected, Air to Water intercool 140. (Michael Mann Car)

Date: December 28, 2017 06:50PM

I have 3 30lb in my shop, actually got them from a scrap yard, they were turned in for scrap by the air force because the hydro was due, they'll last the rest of my life.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: December 28, 2017 07:21PM

Moomba32, Take the cap off and verify that the chemical is not hard. Should be able to take a screw driver and move the chemical around, moisture is it biggest enemy. Then unscrew the Cartridge on the side there will be a weight Stamp on the side toward the top it will be in ounces. Use a digital scale and weigh, if more then a 1/2 oz below
Stamp weight the fire extinguisher will not work. Hope this helps.

Don
Kansas City
HACOA
61 Lakewood
62 Monza aka (Flicka)
62 Rampside
63 700 Sedan 3 Speed

Date: December 28, 2017 08:45PM

I sent Matt the pictures of the extinguishers, for some reason when I resize them that used to work, but now they don't post. The CO2 extinguishers at least 20 years old, and the 10-pound ABC is 15 years old, so they both have to be hydrostatically tested or whatever is required. The ones that are available from eBay, from what seems to be a reputable vendor, must've been hydrostatically tested to have their tags.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 28, 2017 09:17PM

I forwarded to Solo.... he's the one who asked for them!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 28, 2017 10:13PM

Depending on your state, the tags may not be valid. Are company must be register with the state fire marshal and techs have to be certify to service with recertification every 3 years. Also depending on your hazard a 5# may not meet the rating required. Suspect you should have a 2A40BC or 2A60BC rating.Your insurance company or local Fire Department could provide their minimum requirements.

Don
Kansas City
HACOA
61 Lakewood
62 Monza aka (Flicka)
62 Rampside
63 700 Sedan 3 Speed

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: December 29, 2017 05:08AM

You've already gotten a bunch of very good information from Solo. All I have to add is you may want to add a CO2 extinguisher if you have special cars that you want to reduce damage. A carb fire can be put out with any of the properly rated extinguisher but the dry chemical ones cause damage beyond the fire. The CO2 unit isn't required but you can add one for your benefit.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Date: December 30, 2017 02:10AM

I don't have experience but was told years ago, ABC dry chemical melts and coats the surface to keep the fire from flashing back to life from the heat contained in the A material but a BC powder doesn't melt making it easier to clean off where it's used. And as Mike says CO2 leaves no trace but is also a bit less effective in extinguishing fires.

Don Marlowe
66 Monza 2Dr 140/pg
64 Spyder convertible now, 110/pg
Eutawville SC

Date: December 30, 2017 05:38AM

Yes, always something to learn!

Date: December 30, 2017 08:52AM

HALON is the best for a vehicle fire, according to the firefighters I've talked to.
I've got a 5# Amerex I carry.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.