Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
PG is it Dead?
Posted by: vacorvairlover ()
Date: December 27, 2017 01:49PM

PG Pan

So I pulled the pan off to replace the pan gasket on my 65 coupe. The fluid was medium red and didn't smell of anything burnt, but when i removed the pan I found this sludge in the bottom and these black metal feeling pieces in the screen. is this normal for a car that has sat for a couple years but did drive forward onto the dolly when I bought it? or should i start taking this apart? I have never disassembled a transmission before so I'm rather reluctant to do so. I do have the shop manuals if i do end up needing to tear this thing down. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

John Garrison
Roanoke VA.
1964 corvair spyder convertable
1965 Corvair Monza 110 auto coupe soon to be my daily driver
2014 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
2018 Re-designed Jeep Compass Trailhawk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PG is it Dead?
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 27, 2017 02:07PM

Metal grit shows up during break in and people often never service the transmission. As long as those aren't hard bits of rubber from seals clean it up and put some good Dexron VI in it. If it works fine change the fluid at the engine oil intervals for at least a couple of times. It will probably be fine. Powerglides are very durable. It would be a good idea to adjust the band also.
I would replace the shift cable, governor and throttle shaft o-rings while you have it apart.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 27, 2017 02:08PM

Typical for automatics of the 50-80's. Just clean up and replace pan and drive it!

That is clutch and band wear... If it works... it's fine..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 27, 2017 03:27PM

Reverse is the gear to try. The lip seals get petrified and you lose reverse. Jeff at the Corvair Ranch told me this is the most common failure on a Corvair Powerglide. For this reason he no longer sells Powerglides with a guarantee without a rebuild. The newest ones are going on 49 years old now.

Lee J

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 27, 2017 03:32PM

I would put new gasket in place and top off
the Type A and see how lucky you are.

PG is a tough unit, no fun to drive but
robust as the dickens. Bet it works fine.
Good luck

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: vacorvairlover ()
Date: December 27, 2017 04:04PM

Thanks guys I was really not looking forward to learning all about powerglides this week, haha. I'll let you know how it turns out

John Garrison
Roanoke VA.
1964 corvair spyder convertable
1965 Corvair Monza 110 auto coupe soon to be my daily driver
2014 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
2018 Re-designed Jeep Compass Trailhawk

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: December 28, 2017 05:25PM

I also see some evidence of water in there. Like others suggested, just change the oil and pan gasket. You will be out VERY LITTLE if it does not work.

Posted by: CorvairCraigZ ()
Date: December 28, 2017 06:25PM

Just a IMHA tip.....Do NOT flush the tranny,clean it up (pan, screen, tighten/check valve body bolts) thats it. I have found this to be true of most auto trannys. I.E....the "dirty fluid" is much grippier than new clean fluid, so if the tranny has a lot-o-miles, it will start to slip, lose shifting, etc.,shortly after doing a flush or fluid change. Got stuck halfway on a long trip just after having the fluid changed because it was "dirty", not burnt, just dirty. I thought I was doing the right thing at the time.......NOPE! hope this helps

Owners of #001 Ultra Van "The Conestoga Camper" Honeybee

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 28, 2017 07:32PM

Urban legend or similar bad info as far as old fluid being better. I think it's mainly from people attempting to fix an ailing transmission by changing the fluid and filter. Flush machines on the other hand are a different story. If they aren't serviced properly they could easily pump the trans full of trash and if they use any type of flushing agent that could also be bad. Maybe that's what is going on. I've never used a flush machine.

I used to rebuild automatic transmissions and never once saw one that died because of new fluid. I've definitely had plenty that were revived with fresh fluid. Transmission fluid wears out just like motor oil. Lots of gears, bearings and bushings in there that need good oil.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: December 28, 2017 09:35PM

I just had a Powerglide transmission rebuilt, that was operating fine, but the engine came out for rebuilding, so I decided that it would make sense to freshen the transmission while it was out of the car. When it was taken apart, the internals all looked good, however, the clutch disks were showing there age. It was clearly visible that 70K miles of use had taken its toll on those parts. Sure, it might have gone another 20 or 30 thousand miles, but like almost everything mechanical, it won't last forever, and Murphy's law states that a part will ultimately fail at the most inopportune time, when you have the least amount of time to do a proper repair.
If the transmission is out, then have it rebuilt, unless you don't care if it breaks down on you.

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: December 28, 2017 09:50PM

CorvairCraigZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a IMHA tip.....Do NOT flush the tranny,clean
> it up (pan, screen, tighten/check valve body
> bolts) thats it. I have found this to be true of
> most auto trannys. I.E....the "dirty fluid" is
> much grippier than new clean fluid, so if the
> tranny has a lot-o-miles, it will start to slip,
> lose shifting, etc.,shortly after doing a flush or
> fluid change. Got stuck halfway on a long trip
> just after having the fluid changed because it was
> "dirty", not burnt, just dirty. I thought I was
> doing the right thing at the time.......NOPE!
> hope this helps

yes,a common problem on ford expeditions and similar models. someone stated they get a "memory". in reality they were neglected and the grit from the worn discs was providing the friction.

I second what Matt said, Run it and find out thumbs up

The Corvair, Keeping Nader Notorious winking smiley

Will
Northern California

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 29, 2017 05:49AM

It's not the clutches that leave you dead in the water. It's the petrified lip seals. The other thing is a transmission that sat for a long time with badly varnished fluid. I had one I took apart within the last year. All of the valves were "glued" into the valve body and the filter was plugged.

Lee J

Posted by: CorvairCraigZ ()
Date: December 29, 2017 11:21AM

very true if they have sat around for a long time. It sounded to me as this one had been recently on the road, but you are right about the seals and sticky valve and checks.

Owners of #001 Ultra Van "The Conestoga Camper" Honeybee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.