home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Rear end off alignment.
Posted by: Bobdudeman ()
Date: December 26, 2017 02:14PM

Hey guys, I talked to a fellow member about this issue but am still trying to figure out how to adjust it. I cannot seem to find the answers online. If you'll notice that one of the photos the passenger side tire is way out to the wheel well. The other Tire on the driver side is in about 2 inches. The tires are roughly the same and the wheels are 8-inch by 15. With a straight edge I measured to the rim from a vertical point on the ground and that's how it came up with these dimensions. I'm not sure how to adjust the body of the car back over so both wheels are centered inside the wheel wells. I'm not quite sure why this car is set up that way, possibly for oval track or Circle Track. I don't know if it's a control arm adjustments or not but if there's anybody that can tell me how to adjust this out I would really appreciate it as I cannot find any tutorial online. This is a 1966 Corvair Monza Coupe. Thank you again

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear end off alignment.
Date: December 26, 2017 02:24PM

Slowly getting there. A lot of work ahead.

Attachments:

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: December 26, 2017 02:37PM

front wheel alignment steps are pgs 3-2--3.2 in 65 shop manual

Rear wheel alignment steps are pg 4-25 in 65 shop manual

Stock specs are shown on Specification pages in back of same shop manual

Track is different but this will give you are starting point.

The shop manual is always your friend. ggg

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4 1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: December 26, 2017 02:45PM

Thanks, I will get a shop manual

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 26, 2017 03:46PM

Both tires appear to have similar camber.

If it's not a wheel offset or spacer issue (pull the wheels) then -----

The rear wheel trailing arms can move side to side. The center reference is the transaxle. Upper link is drive shaft, lower link is for camber adjustment - BOTH connect to the transaxle. So yes if the transaxle is off center (engine is offset by design) that would account for your problem. Check the "horse collar" and bushings and the transmission support and bushings.

Note the transaxle yokes are different lengths. I'm not sure if it's possible to put the long yoke into the side for the short one - but worth a look (both yoke flanges should be the same distance from the case - IF I recall correctly.

Between what I and others (davemotohead) have seen - anything is possible.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: December 26, 2017 04:39PM

The rear control (trailing?) arms attach with a flat "plate" to the front of the rear wheel well.

There are slots in the plate for side to side adjustment (toe).

Checking the relative position of both sides may give you an idea of how far off the rear suspension is.

There is an "arrow" on the plate(memory?) plus a gauge (vertical lines) on the front of the wheel well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 04:42PM by RobertC.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: December 26, 2017 05:58PM

If working off the pictures the drivers side looks like it has negative camber and the passenger side has positive. If the strut rod bushings are not worn out, the camber can be adjusted with the outer bolt/eccentric. The inboard bushings have a tendency to turn to mush from oil leaks.

'64 Monza Coupe 140 4 speed
'61 700 Lakewood 95 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 26, 2017 07:10PM

No, you can not put the long shaft yoke into the short yoke side of the differential, it hits a stop first. You can put the short yoke on the long side, but the splines do not touch, i.e. won't drive the wheels!

So if the car drives, this is not the problem.

With the wheels pointing straight ahead, sight front to rear tires on both sides. This gives a hint as to which wheel is not standing straight up. Take the wheel covers off, if they get in the way of sighting.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 07:14PM by Frank DuVal.

Date: December 26, 2017 07:16PM

Thanks for all the information fellows. I will be able to figure it out now . I received a shop manual from a fellow on here and I'll put it to work. This has been a dream of mine for some time. Happy New year and thanks again, Steve

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: December 28, 2017 05:02AM

Getting the nut loose and then turning the eccentric without breaking the bolt can be a challenge sometimes, other times they are just fine. There's a fine line if using torch heat with getting enough heat to help without melting the rubber. If you get the nut off, it's best to work the bolt back and forth rather than using brute force if you get some leeway started.
As someone already stated above, adjustment is a moot point if the inner rubber bushings are shot.
A little in and out play on the yoke in the differential is common but probably not desirable. Big job to fix so most usually just live with it.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: December 29, 2017 05:53AM

Thanks for the input. I have been working with the camber and have adjusted a lot of it out. Once I get the car up and stands I can really take a good peek underneath

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.