home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Any difference in dual master cylinders OEM vs new NAPA part?
Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: December 27, 2017 01:37PM

Good to know, thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 27, 2017 01:42PM

Also known as "Cunnifer"...most likely a brand name?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: December 28, 2017 04:49AM

The tubing is an alloy commonly called "easy bend tubing" that was developed by the German car companies. Of course it's more expensive than regular steel tubing. I bought a 20' coil of it but might just use the regular stuff next time. I might buy a straight length so the first thing I don't have to do is straighten it.
I also like to use a proper 7/16 or 1/2" thread tube nut instead of an extra brass adapter fitting.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 28, 2017 12:33PM

One of the sizes uses an oddball nut and seems to be why a lot have the brass adapter. I can't remember which size is was.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: December 28, 2017 02:45PM

BobV66Vair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got a 68 MC from Napa last summer for my 65
> brake conversion, front drum to disc. It seems to
> work fine and stops well. I need to bleed it more
> as the pedal is a little soft and low.
>
> rowen4, what was the failure in the Napa cyl. you
> had to return? Just wondering if I am chasing an
> issue that cannot be solved by bleeding.

Bob. the car , a full size chevy would stop but after stopping the brake pedal would go to the floor. The MC was bench blead as were each wheel cylinder. After multiple times I took it back and got a replacement. Did the bleed procedure again and never had a problem again. I think the O-ring seal in them was cut/nicked upon rebuild assembly allowing the fluid to bypass.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: December 29, 2017 04:47AM

A 1/4" steel line usually uses a tube nut with 3/8-24 threads, I think the later MCs use either 7/16 or 1/2", I don't believe they're all the way out to 9/16 but I can't remember for sure. I think one MC uses both the same size and the other uses two different sizes. One of the MCs has "Rear" on one of the ports which we use for front.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: December 29, 2017 06:22AM

Eastwood sells the flexible copper-steel lines in 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" coils. They also sell the tool that straightens out the tubing that came in coils. In addition to that, they sell a really nice end forming tool that will give you the double flare, single flare and bump tube styles needed for various cars. They sell some pretty nice tube bending hand tools too that allow you to make bends without crimping the tube.

As Jim described, the tubes can be fitted with various diameter threaded ends. I bought a collection of different ends, couplings, plugs, etc. to allow me to make a tube without having to run down to the parts houses multiple times. Ebay also has some of these fittings, most of which are Weatherhead brand and good quality. If you see a vendor from China, avoid them.

One thing I have discovered is I will lightly coat the male inverted flare threads with some anti-seize. This allows me to tighten the fitting nice and tight to avoid leaks, but also has the benefit of making its removal much easier. For whatever reason, male inverted flare fittings seem to seize up after a short amount of time and even very good tube flare wrenches round off the hex leaving you with having to use visegrip pliers which will totally ruin the nut.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2004 Caterham R400 (Lotus super7)my race car
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 29, 2017 08:24AM

That would be copper-nickel, not copper - steel tubing that is sold by Eastwood. Same as Cunifer. Same as EZ Bend, Ultra-Bend, BrakeQuip EziBend, etc....

I love the stuff!

Summit Racing sells SS fittings (tube nuts) to stop that male inverted flare rust problem. They also have the large nut sizes.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.