home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Caliper Position
Posted by: triumphcorvair ()
Date: December 25, 2017 08:29AM

When installing front disc brakes, is there a preferred position for installation of the caliper? To the front of the wheel? Top or rear of the wheel?
I've looked at many different performance vehicles and the placement of the caliper were all different.

Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Texas

65 140 Monza
71 Triumph Bonneville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Caliper Position
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: December 25, 2017 08:46AM

I just went through this last month with SuperVair.

You're right about the different performance vehicles.

They are all different...I went with how the hose fit best.

FYI: The latest Scarebird brackets do work in both directions.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 25, 2017 08:46AM

It all has to do with clearance?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 25, 2017 09:41AM

And make sure the bleeder is on top of the caliper in the mounted position you choose. Usually swapping right to left will fix this.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: December 25, 2017 10:09AM

Its a Good idea to pull the shock and spring out and compress the suspension to check for clearence with the upper control arm. Theres a few kits out there where you need to do some trimming. Mike

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: December 25, 2017 10:18AM

The newest generation Scarebird brackets do not need any trimming regardless of ride height...and Mike is right about the older kits.

Date: December 25, 2017 10:48AM

Thanks for all the input. Especially the info on the new Scarebird bracket and making sure the bleed valve was oriented at the top.

Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Texas

65 140 Monza
71 Triumph Bonneville

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: December 25, 2017 01:06PM

When Doug Hargrove first installed the front discs on his race car, we pushed the car into position on the pre-grid. To do this we had to crank the steering to full lock, first in one direction, then the other. When he first stepped on the brakes, the pedal dropped to the floor. The single-piston floating calipers had contacted the Upper A-arms and were pushed far away from the disc. They pumped up fine in the pits, But had he waited to test them out, it would have been an "Oh Shit!" moment. Some trimming of the upper A-arm ensued. Check first, as Mike suggests!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: December 26, 2017 12:16AM

Always wondered what the location criteria were as well. Remember reading different theories for both cars and motorcycles back in the sixties and seventies.

Just saw the new Dodge Demon on Motorweek and the rear calipers were at the very unusual (unique even?) 7 o;clock position.
Practically on the ground compared to most. And with bold coloring and wide open wheels, a VERY visible style cue when looking at the vehicle.

Paul

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: December 26, 2017 04:16AM

Along the line of it's a small world after all...
The first disc brakes I had on my racecar were a set-up I purchased from Jeff Moore using Big GM Chevelle type components. Jeff said he had purchased them from Doug Hargrove. Perhaps they are the same parts referenced above.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: December 26, 2017 09:36AM

Thanks again for all the input. I've got the Clarks dual master cylinder I purchased several years ago still in the box. I'm guessing that I should go with a different MC, one that would be compatible for discs/drums. IIRC, UNSAFE told me he used the Fiero MC. Anyone use anything else?

Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Texas

65 140 Monza
71 Triumph Bonneville

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 26, 2017 10:00AM

A Fiero is all disk. The only difference is residual pressure valves in some drum systems. If the Clark's is the bore size you want just take out the valve if it even has one.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: December 26, 2017 01:12PM

Disc brake conversions
Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: November 12, 2006

..................................... I used a 1 1/16 Wilwood aluminum MC for a Dodge and modified the mounting ears.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.